ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

200 = the new bug eye scoob

lol @ this thread. I wasn't fussed about the 197 styling when it came out but at the same time I didn't think it looked terrible.

The 200 front end doesn't flow, I don't even think it works in a quirky way, it looks like the result of an insane Frenchman, blind special school attendee or like Renault employed a different bloke for the wings, bonnet, front bumper and headlights and didnt let them talk to each other/see what they were working on. Right mess.

HTZ

RS200 with Cup suspension
Nobody is forcing you to post in here you r****d. If you don't like it, feck off out.

I think you must be the r****d to answer a post with that sort of language.

Wash your mouth out with soap! :rasp:

HTZ

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
lol @ this thread. I wasn't fussed about the 197 styling when it came out but at the same time I didn't think it looked terrible.

The 200 front end doesn't flow, I don't even think it works in a quirky way, it looks like the result of an insane Frenchman, blind special school attendee or like Renault employed a different bloke for the wings, bonnet, front bumper and headlights and didnt let them talk to each other/see what they were working on. Right mess.

Thats my biggest bug bear tbh. Look at the join where the headlight/wing/bumper meets. Its completely random! no thought gone into it at all.

And don't get me sterted on the Exhausts!!! When there was Renault training courses on the 197, we were all told that ''chavs'' fitting big exhausts (Renaults words, not mine) would ruin the point of the diffuser and not understand what the car is about.

Then they fit two peco Big Bore 4's on the back.

It looks rediculous.

Not a 320d
definitely lacks aggression and for a 'range topper' its a huge let down.

its bad news when the GT looks better

renault-clio-gt-1.jpg

^^ 7/10

renaultsport-clio-200.jpg

^^ 0/10

:)

Only got an extra 20 days to wait for mine, thanks renault !!!1

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Weird, i prefer the looks of the 200 to my GT! Everyone to their own and all that i guess. I do like them, but only in certain combination's. Were-as the 197 looks good in every colour!

182 trophy
i love driving cars and test drove the 197 cup and was giving thought to buy it then the 200 got released and drove the 200 cup and was amazed at how the little differences made a big difference in how it drove and handled so bought one.If all your into doing is detailing and standing around looking at cars its probably not for you as the front end is a bit ugly.

Clio 1970000000
definitely lacks aggression and for a 'range topper' its a huge let down.

its bad news when the GT looks better

renault-clio-gt-1.jpg

^^ 7/10

renaultsport-clio-200.jpg

^^ 0/10

Don't love the 200 front end but it is growing on me from just the right angles. Prefer my 197 all day long and tomorrow.

However, the GT looks MUCH WORSE than the 200 front end. My first thought for that massive grille was that someone left an oven door open and then thought hmmmm that would look good on the front of a car!!!! Definately a no no IMO :dapprove:

Nimbus 197
Not a huge fan of the 200 front myself but I would take a red one with speedlines....if xenons were an option :p

the gt does look smart ;)

you all seem to be forgeting you can have xenon style lights as an option an that does make a huge diffrence ;) but lack of the real deal is a huge shame :(

its styled to blend into the range 197 is better looking more suttle like the 1*2 no doubts the 200 is a better car though

Last edited:
Didnt like the 197 when it came out, especially didnt like the 197 cup, or the cup spoiler.

However, when I saw Lee's 197 Cup I fell a little bit in love with it, then saw a cup racer and decided actually it finished it off just nice. So bought a 197 Cup with Spoiler.

With the mk3 ph2 clio, I saw the Clio GT and was genuinely excited about what the 200 would look like, as I think the GT looks brilliant (and before anyone searches back and finds a post of me saying its not aggresive enough, that was before anyone new what it was and we thought it was the 197 replacement!). unfortunately, I do not think the 200 looks brilliant. For me, it looks like a fat kid with a dodgy face lift.

Sorry to those 200 owners who wont like that, but I dont think my opinion on it will ever change, and I certainly will not ever be buying a 200.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I still think that the 1*2 era looks the best of the bunch. Yep, I have a 182, but neither the 197 or the 200 is pulling at me to ditch what I've already got.

That in a nutshell is where the newer cars don't work for me. Ideally for Reno, I should be chopping my car in for one of these replacements - but they don't grab my attention like the older cars do (and did). Everyone (it seems) are 1,000% paranoid of even mentioning boot spoilers (apart from heroes like Kev Ste @ Birchdown!) and the standard alloys look totally puny, coupled with the the muffin-top arse ends.

On the spot decision - I'd take the 200 because as an overall package, it looks nicer, imo. But Reno for me have really gone off the boil in recent times. Just when I was licking the screen at pictures of the Megane R26.R - realistically the only Reno I would swap the 182 for...... I then see pictures of the Meggy's replacement.

I think if push came to shove, I could get used to the 197 or 200 looks on a daily basis. But the new Meg RS simply has no hope in hell for me. I've seen 32-ton Scanias look more elegant and graceful than the new Meg RS. Utter rank. :dead:

D.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I dont know if i like the 200, i was so close to buying one and looks is not the reason i didn't put a deposit down. I think it really depends in the colour scheme as to how good/bad it looks.

I do prefer the 197 out of them all though, would swap my 182 for one tomorrow.

DMS

A thirsty 172
I didn't like the look of 200's to begin with but they're starting to grow on me. It was same with the 197's and if I'm honest, same with the 1*2's.
However, on that last picture in the OP, the rear wheel arch looks way too wide and the wheel looks tucked under. I think it'd look OK from some angles and bad from others.
Ph2 172's suffer from a similar thing... the wheels don't seem to stick out quite enough. Another 5-10mm and they'd look bob on. That's possibly one reason why Cups seem to look better.

All IMO of course.

LY 200
The 200 looks fantastic in the flesh and we will all grow to love it in the future no doubts however jurys still out on the Anthracite pack.

Z4
The difference is, scoobys gradually progressed from the bugeye to the blob eye, to the hawk eye (lets forget about the hideous new one!)

Clios have gotten worse...

G/W 200 and project Vdub
to be fair i didnt like them at first but now i have one i f**king love them(not in LY tho) it's the best so far i wouldnt have got one other wise.
as for ''the new bug eye scooby'' i dont agree with that i think the front looks the bollox and im not just saying that cos i have one.
you have to have the speedlines the wheels they come with suck.

LY 200
Have you chaps actually had a real gander at them up close?

Dont get me wrong i dont think they have progressed enough over the 182 to drive however they are 110% a better looking car in the right colour.

LY 200
you have to have the speedlines the wheels they come with suck.

LOL - I actually hated those wheels with a pash in the pictures flying about on the net but think they compliment the car brilliantly in the flesh.

Clio 172 RS2
But surely that Clio GT looks gash... almost mistook it for a Peugeot.
The 200 nosesection's bottomline is; love or loathe it.

The new Scooby is a modern day Lancia Delta with all the blisters.

197 or 200; still the 172 Phase 2!

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
iv seen a few up close and while the rear diffuser is better, the lack of the 'new' rear lights is another farce.
Its looking more and more like a rushed decision, cant see many 'dynamique' or equiv owners wishing to do a 200 rep.
Least the 182/197s had the nicer grilles, the 200 with that daft fish face and crap swiggly line is just horrific. The 5 spoke standard alloys are gashment, the anth front is an option as is the 'black' headlights. Standard it is one utter pisch package!

Trust me, its got utter sales flop tattoo'd over it.

Once the new RS is out on 62(?) plates it will prove that the front end was a huge huge mistake. Id hate to have taken one out over 3 years as it will be a total pup to sell. Defo scoob bub eye in the making.

R27
I had to decide what i wanted out of a 57 plate R27 and 200. I prefer the look of the front end on the 197 but admit the 200's rear is better. I also believe the 200 will be the superior car to drive.

However the R27 was £3k cheaper, had more equipment and it was limited edition so hopefully it'll keep money better.

I can still see why people prefer the 172/182's though.

PS 200
The simple fact is that Renault sell NEW cars.

I wouldn't be seen dead in 172/182.

If you guys don't want to buy my 200 if I come to sell it - I'm sure they'll be folk who are.

Saw an 07 plate 197 on a stealers forecourt this morning for £150 less than I paid for my 200.

I didn't buy it to look at it ;)

My brother has just bought a Twingo RS133, so will let you know what I think when he gets it.

I think I'd pick the 197, though had a look at a new 200 recently in Red. Quite nice

LY 200
I wouldn't be seen dead in 172/182.

LOL - Which makes you just as bad and bitter as the others who are pleading hate for the 200!

I didn't buy it to look at it ;)

I test drove one and the thing it did best aside of build quality was look good - It didnt drive better than the 182 (unless pottering about everywhere) making it for me not worth selling up and paying 7/8k extra for what is essentially at the very best the same car in terms of driving and capabilitys.

Let's just be honest...the 200 is sh*te looking! Not to take anything away from people who have purchased one...they are obviously very happy with how it looks and drives! Personally...I would rather have spent the money in spec savers than buying a 200 ;)

PS 200
LOL - Which makes you just as bad and bitter as the others who are pleading hate for the 200!

I test drove one and the thing it did best aside of build quality was look good - It didnt drive better than the 182 (unless pottering about everywhere) making it for me not worth selling up and paying 7/8k extra for what is essentially at the very best the same car in terms of driving and capabilitys.
I'm not bad or bitter - I just don't like OLD cars.

I haven't bought an OLD car for 20+ years.

HTH

Oh - and I'm sure Renault couldn't give a s**t what people who do buy OLD cars think ;)

I am still not tempted to be prised out of my 182 for one. I prefer the shape, size and performance of my car. The 200 is not as different from all the other small hatches out there. I haven't driven one yet so will reserve full judgement until that day.

It's just a shame that Renault have pulled the corporate image front end card and are trying too hard to be like Volkswagen with the majority of their models looking similar.

Perhaps the Twingo RS is the more natural successor to the 182 due to the size factor?

Sunflower Yellow Ph1 172
seen a nimbus 200 in the flesh and looks so much better than in the pictures, whole car looks more agressive than the 197 that looked a bit to much like a base model for my liking (appart from arches and diffuser) as for the clio GT they are gash look like a chaved up halfords special with stick on bodykit