ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

200 = the new bug eye scoob

LY 200
I'm not bad or bitter - I just don't like OLD cars.

I haven't bought an OLD car for 20+ years.

HTH

Oh - and I'm sure Renault couldn't give a s**t what people who do buy OLD cars think ;)

Haha - What a prize one you are!

Are you 'OLD' jasey as you say you havnt bought an 'OLD' car in 20 years or are you a 'wee' nipper at 20!?

And just to clarify (as your feathers seem to have been more than a little ruffled already) an 'OLD' car is not a 4/5 year old car as far as the majority are concerned - A 15 year old Williams might come into that catergory yes which in perfect form is still a better drivers car than mine and yours put together which in a way puts your reasons for prefering your nice shiny 'NEW' one over anything 'OLD' into major doubts in itself.

HTH

Nissan 350z
I dont understand the whole:

"Oh but the 200 looks good in X colour with Y colour wheels".

You shouldnt have to be forced into 1 particular colour choice to hide the ugly of the car FFS it should be designed to look good regardless! Ive never seen this opinion on any of the other Clio RS's so why do people try to deffend the 200 in such a way?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I'm not bad or bitter - I just don't like OLD cars.

I haven't bought an OLD car for 20+ years.

HTH

Oh - and I'm sure Renault couldn't give a s**t what people who do buy OLD cars think ;)

Well i would think they do, a lot of us are young on here who own 1*2's, with potentially coming out of uni/training and getting more money we may look to buy a new car. We are happy with our current cars and think RS is the way to go, so go and have a look at the new clio. Simples!

I do like the twingo cup, in white, but its the back end that i dont get on with, too plain. Tried to get my mum to buy a twingo GT but she didn't like it when she took it for a drive, and the dealer was a dickhead about p/x with her old car.

LY 200
The 200 is not as different from all the other small hatches out there. I haven't driven one yet so will reserve full judgement until that day.

Nail head - They just havnt progressed enough for the average 182 owner to fork out thousands extra on unless its used everyday for a heavy commute imo.

People like Jasey obviously either have serious money to burn or havnt driven the previous model enough to have a valid and justified opinion tbh as there really isnt a big enough difference to warrant the change for the average current RS owner.

PS 200
Haha - What a prize one you are!

Are you 'OLD' jasey as you say you havnt bought an 'OLD' car in 20 years or are you a 'wee' nipper at 20!?

And just to clarify (as your feathers seem to have been more than a little ruffled already) an 'OLD' car is not a 4/5 year old car as far as the majority are concerned - A 15 year old Williams might come into that catergory yes which in perfect form is still a better drivers car than mine and yours put together which in a way puts your reasons for prefering your nice shiny 'NEW' one over anything 'OLD' into major doubts in itself.

HTH
My Feathers are fine - I couldn't give a s**t what anyone thinks about my car - especially faceless spotty teens on a forum :).

An OLD car is one that is not NEW :rolleyes:.

I buy NEW cars because I don't want the hassle of OLD cars.

Have fun in your OLD car and I'll have fun in my NEW one :cool:

For the money - A New Clio 200 was the best new car I could find :D - everything else that came close to the overall package would have cost be >£5k more.

I just cannot like the front of the 200. It's just awful. I would buy a R27 over a new 200 anyday. The 200 just looks soft, and like no thought has gone into it. I imagine that it won't hold its price as well as the 197 has due to less people wanting one, due to not wanting to suffer the embarrassment driving it.

I'd actually rather have the Twingo RS instead of the 200.

My Feathers are fine - I couldn't give a s**t what anyone thinks about my car - especially faceless spotty teens on a forum :).

I'm sorry but you seem more immature than me, and that's saying something. Just because other people don't like the ugly car you drive and over-paid for, doesn't mean you have to call them names!!! ;)

328, MK1 Clio 1.4

For the money - A New Clio 200 was the best new car I could find :D - everything else that came close to the overall package would have cost be >£5k more.

What a plonker you are,

By your logic you do drive an old car, you have driven your car, so it isn't new.

LY 200

Haha - I think you've actually mistaken me for somebody who dislikes the 200 in your rage against anyone who doesnt share your opinion! :rolleyes:

If i were using mine as a daily driver i would go for one myself but until that day il stick to having fun in my 'OLD' car thats easily as capable on the weekends that also wont have depriciated by 8/9/10k in 4/5 years.

Anyway take a chill pill winston - It might sort you out a gooden.

Clio 182 cup'd
The 200 looks fantastic. The 197 looks too similar to a standard 1.2 from the front. Hopefully the 200 will lost value, so I can buy one!

PS 200
Haha - Indeed!

No i like the the 200 - It was you who spouted about not being seen dead in 1*2 without any real reason.....Have you ever driven a well specced one!? I doubt it! :rolleyes:

Plonker for sure. :clown:
Sounds like you're the one with a chip on your shoulder ;).

If I was in the market for an old car I wouldn't go anywhere near a clio - why do you have a problem with that ?

S3, Polo
...People like Jasey obviously either have serious money to burn...

For the record, £16k is not *serious* money, which is why I'm dumbfounded by Jasey's apparent superiority complex?

Don't feel bad. Someone has to do it. It's supposedly a very good car too! :) I refer you to my previous post:

Personally - and this isn't going to be a popular thread amongst new 200 owners - I hope s/h values drop like a stone. In 4-5 years time, I'll be able to pick up a supposedly fantastic hatch for peanuts.

It's not that I can't afford it - far from it - it's because I'm shrewd.

For the record, I'm an adult in my mid-30's.

HTH?

Last edited:
  PS 200
For the record, £16k is not *serious* money, which is why I'm dumbfounded by Jasey's apparent superiority complex?

Don't feel bad. Someone has to do it. :)

I refer you to my previous post:

It's not that I can't afford it - far from it - it's that I'm a shrewd adult in my mid-30's.

HTH?

I wouldn't pay £16k for a 200 !

Hardly superiority complex - I'm driving a French bag of s**t that will probably fall apart in 5-6 years time - by which time I'll have moved on and it will have cost me maybe 5-6k.

S3, Polo
Why is that?

Playing Devil's Advocate: I would imagine it's because they're in need of near-constant attention to keep them in tip top order? My experience of Renault has involved some 'tinkering' - not that I mind - more so than my other cars (except for the VXT and Elise).

A new car has a warranty that can be returned to a dealer, should a problem arise.

Just a thought...

EDIT: Too late! :( Post answered... :D

LY 200
For the record, £16k is not *serious* money

To some maybe not but i wouldnt fancy paying 14/15/16k on car thats barely different from my current (if it was i wouldve snapped one up) and waiting for it to 'burn away' 8/9/10k of that after four or five years ownership.

Playing Devil's Advocate: I would imagine it's because they're in need of near-constant attention to keep them in tip top order? My experience of Renault has involved some 'tinkering' - not that I mind - more so than my other cars (except for the VXT and Elise).

Seems thats the case with the majority but in six years iv owned three different performance Renaults and had bare problems - Perhaps its a case of luck, perhaps its a case of how you look after them but either way ive never had major problems with mine and none of which were bought brand spankers.

Warrantys not a cracking argument as most dont have to go back for majory issues and the dealers know that when they are ripping down the prices on these well specced motors - I had a year and half warranty on my 182 when i bought it and it never had to back to a dealer anyway.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

Scab.

328, MK1 Clio 1.4

Flol, just saw this,

They are gonna be more interested in people who drive older cars as they are the ones who are likely to upgrade if a good new model came out, not someone who has just bought a new car

S3, Polo
^^^ +1

Seems thats the case with the majority but in six years iv owned three different performance Renaults and had bare problems - Perhaps its a case of luck, perhaps its a case of how you look after them but either way ive never had major problems with mine and none of which were bought brand spankers.

Going slightly OT - In the last 4 months ownership, my Cup has needed a full set of engine mounts and a back box, something I knew about and accounted for when I bought it.

Aside from that - and the poor lumbar support of the standard seats - my experience seems similar to yours: it's been corking.

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
Mine hasn't been wonderful, I have replaced the exhaust and I'm pretty sure my engine mounts are shagged, but when the 200 is 8 years old, I'm sure it will suffer similar problems,

The french have an abundance of cheese to build their cars with, will always be the same,

PS 200
They f**king should do as we are the target market for their products and most of that target audience think it looks w**k.
They concentrate on making them go well - not look nice.

I find it astounding that folk seem to think Renault have ruined some great masterpiece.

It was the same with the Scoobs - there was a hard core of "classic" owners that bitched about the cars becoming bug eyed blob eyed etc - Mind you when they changed them to hatchbacks that was the final straw for me :D

MCS R56
Hopefully, the next version will have the looks to match the performance!

The front end makes me want to cry.

PS 200
Hopefully, the next version will have the looks to match the performance!

The front end makes me want to cry.
By the sounds of it they still have some work to do on reliability & trim materials before they need to worry too much about looks.

But the 200 seems to be a fairly "substantial" flimsy french hatch ;)

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
By the sounds of it they still have some work to do on reliability & trim materials before they need to worry too much about looks.

But the 200 seems to be a fairly "substantial" flimsy french hatch ;)
The sort of people, in general anyway, who buy new cars either go for looks or performance.

Most new car buyers will change after 3 years so they dont care about reliability, since its under warranty. Those that do care buy vag/honda/toyota and would never consider a french car, not anytime soon anyway.

So lets sum up this thread:

Majority of 1*2 owners think that the 197 and 200 arent as good looking as the 1*2s

Majority of 197 owners think that the 200 is ugly, the 1*2 was great, but is now dated and lacks road presence in comparison to the 197.

Majority of 200 owners think theres is the best.

/Fin

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Majority of 197 owners think that the 200 is ugly (from the front), the 1*2 was great, but is now dated and lacks road presence in comparison to the 197.

Personally i agree with this one, even though i haven't got a 197.

LY 200
They concentrate on making them go well - not look nice.

And this is why your argument for the newer model is total pish! :rolleyes:

Without opening a can of worms if you had driven the previous models you would know they are barely different and the 200 certainly doesnt out perform the the 'OLD' cars in any way shape or form!

What it is imo, is better looking, much better built and certain aspects like the gear box and brakes are superior also howver given your reasons for believing the point of the 200 is that its made to go well makes this all irrelivant as it doesnt seem to be part of your argument for them.

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
So lets sum up this thread:

Majority of 1*2 owners think that the 197 and 200 arent as good looking as the 1*2s

Majority of 197 owners think that the 200 is ugly, the 1*2 was great, but is now dated and lacks road presence in comparison to the 197.

Majority of 200 owners think theres is the best.

/Fin

fairly accurate description, over time the older RSs will date, that is evident with the pictures and cars on the forum, much less williams, valvers around (ok not badged RS's, but you get the idea) so the ph1 and mk2 172s will be a bit long in the tooth for some.

However, the original point was and still is, the 200 regardless of how fantastically amazing it is to drive and handle, is an utter turd and will be regarded as such in the used car market and is not a good evolution of the previous '197' shape. Just looks and feels rushed and this will be become evident when the sparsely spec'd snido shitey ones hit the market for buttons as they are utterly tragic looking.

Porsche Boxster987S
lol @ some of this

im not a fan of the 200 front end either btw. R27 looks alot better

C

Cupster

IMO:

For looks: 1*2 > Williams > 197 > Valver > citroen BX > G Whiz > 200

Done!

IMO:

For looks:

1*2 >

Williams >