ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

240bhp 16V Clio Rally engine pics

Thought id post a couple of pics of our new engine destined for our phase 1 clio rally car.

Basically it is a Sodemo engine, throttle bodies, cosworth pistons, steel crank, titanium valves, lightened flywheel etc, all in a little 2 litre 16V lump. Will be bolted onto a Sadev 6 speed sequential box as soon as we get the flywheel bolts and sump boltholes suitably modified.

Produces 240bhp at 8500rpm and 217Nm of torque. The torque curve is amazing flat aswell, should pull like a train :D

http://www.eroticon6.co.uk/sigs/engine1.jpg

http://www.eroticon6.co.uk/sigs/engine2.jpg

http://www.eroticon6.co.uk/sigs/engine3.jpg

217NM of torque seems quite low for a 240bhp engine

or am i getting confused again :confused:

looks very nice though

Nissan R35 GT-R

Thats spot on - 148 lb/ft.

The thing is that the standard car makes this figure until around 5,400rpm - whereas that beauty of an engine holds onto the torque much longer and it wouldnt peak until around 6,500rpm. This is where that whopping power figure comes from.

Let us know how you get on once its running.

where i sign..................................................?????

PLEASE keep us updated with fitting it as well

yeah will do:D

The only problem we forsee is how many driveshafts we are going to break. We have only just stopped our current clio from breaking various parts of the transmission and that is only a mildly tuned Williams engine at about 165bhp.

I know of someone with similar power who solved the driveshaft problem only to start breaking wheel studs.

Just have to see how we get on, whatever happens it should be fun though

YUMMY MUMMY!!
spot the clutch!

anyway........with that airbox i assume you moved the rad? WHERE! lol

Still very nice......

did anyone save these pictures locally? if so can you re-post using the uploader as they dont seem to be showing at the mo - would love to see them :)

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

noooooooooooooooooooooo

where did they go?

edit

yeeeeeeahhhhhaaaaayyy

there back

whats your mum gonna say when she sees youve nicked her extractor fan from the kitchen and bolted it on the front?

You naughty boy....looks the nuts, hope your brakes work better than mine at the moment...fan belt looks a bit loose though?

What have you done to your gear box to cope with that power. My Clio turbo is going to go through them like tanks of petrol. What sort of money are we talking for gearbox mods and from where.

Cheers mate

The radiator is a big aluminum one, the top of which fits in the slot you can see in the bottom of the airbox.

It is a sadev 6speed sequential box which we got from a spider cup car, modified by the addition of a LSD. Apparantly the gearbox should be good for 300bhp.

The engine isnt direct from sodemo as they are about £20k :D

It is a collection of bits which we partly got from someone who was building the engine before us, partly from sodemo and various other places. Im not sure how it directly compares component wise with the sodemo engine but I think it is fairly close.

FRST and 106 GTi

HELLO HEAVEN!

I would just say... what a weird fuel rail! If it does the job then keep it! eheh

other thing... 2 litre 16V lump.. what? it was a F7P valver engine and you got on it a willy bottom end? How can you make the willy crank to be healthy when doing 8500rpm?!?!

TBs... is the only way to go.

other thing... last one I promisse!!!
what ECU are you using?

Fuel rail is fine....cant see anything wrong.

Its running a steel crank.

DTA management

Read the post you crazy guy, hes said it all! lol

FRST and 106 GTi

the curve on the fuel rail... seems to "tight".

the 180º curve mate... it seems that tonight you are not very friendly.

look at the std rail, its tighter.

nowt to do with being friendly, im just sick of people always asking teh same thing when it has been answered in teh first post etc. Not just you mate.

is it true these engines need rebuilding every 10k miles, due to the high state of tune? like new rings needed because of the super high compression ratios? or is that jsut for race teams who dont wanna loose 1bhp over the period of those miles, and it would last jsut fine under normal "road" conditons, provided it was serviced regularly?

jimbo

it would last fine, its not overly stressed. but its not sooper dooper reliable....dont go mixing me up.

FRST and 106 GTi

Nopes... still cant find in the first post the steel crank, DTA EMS and fuel rail being bigger than std.

but even than.... whatever.

Quote: Originally posted by Hollister on 29 August 2003

Thought id post a couple of pics of our new engine destined for our phase 1 clio rally car.

Basically it is a Sodemo engine, throttle bodies, cosworth pistons, steel crank, titanium valves, lightened flywheel etc, all in a little 2 litre 16V lump. Will be bolted onto a Sadev 6 speed sequential box as soon as we get the flywheel bolts and sump boltholes suitably modified.

Produces 240bhp at 8500rpm and 217Nm of torque. The torque curve is amazing flat aswell, should pull like a train :D

http://www.eroticon6.co.uk/sigs/engine1.jpg

http://www.eroticon6.co.uk/sigs/engine2.jpg

http://www.eroticon6.co.uk/sigs/engine3.jpg

It should be quite reliable hopefully, it should rev to 11-12k rpm with no problems and as we are keeping it to about 8k for max power and torque it shouldnt be overstressed.

The engine management/ecu is a Pectel system, now THAT is alot of money for a very small box.

Hopefully fixed the flywheel/clutch problem last night. The flywheel bolts actually stuck out past the flywheel contact surface, so the clutch plate didnt fit flat. Removed a metal shim beneath the boltheads and machined a mm off the bolt heads and it should now hopefully fit.

FRST and 106 GTi

Pectel is an EMS used alot in highly Ford engines. Never saw one but everyone says its very good! Also it seems that autronic is very good.

Actually Im always affraid about engines geting to rev higher than std. They could be highly modified, but... you know its me. eheh