ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

260mm to 285mm brake conversion??

Monaco 172 + mk1 RSi
Im probably wrong but with the same caliper/pads there is no surface area increase, thus no benefit

Jamie

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
yes for the braking torque is equvelant to braking force x radius,

so less force will be needed by the brakes to make the same stopping power,
meaning less heat/less fade

HBT 172 Cup
Im running the above 285mm kit on my mk1 and rate it well. The larger disc will absorb and dissipate more energy than a stardard size disc, meaning increased resistance to brake fade.

And as above, turning moments e.t.c dictate less clamping force is required to do the same amount of braking when compared to a smaller disc.

The trade off is an increase in unsprung mass, but we dont drive race cars and the compromise is in our favour.

Im using the discs with CL RC5+ pads and the stopping power is immense.

Plus big discs look cool as f**k :)

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
haha your final point is the one thats swaying me at the moment (shameful as it sounds)
good good, as atm, in the dry, i dont have enough braking force to lock the wheels if i wanted too! implying a brake upgrade should be on the cards!! (and completely rebleeding the system!)

ive asked you in another thread Laine! where can i get these pads from!! lol

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
atm, im going to run the valver track for this summer,
but am very tempted to go down the 172 engine/track this winter/next year

to run 172 brakes you need 172 hubs
which require 172 shocks and full track with steering rack, wishbones, and arb no????

Westy. MX5
yes for the braking torque is equvelant to braking force x radius,

so less force will be needed by the brakes to make the same stopping power,
meaning less heat/less fade

^^^^I go with this^^^^^ On my Fabia this is exactly what I done, Same pads and calipers but larger discs and longer carriers adds up to Strugglers summary. The VAG group parts bin comes in very handy.