ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2nd driveshaft in 12 months!

I have a 2003 172. When I bought the car the inner driveshaft gaiter was split on drivers side. As there is no replacement gaiter available I purchased a complete new genuine driveshaft from Renault at 140 quid.

Fitted it. Fine for two months, then the wheelarch liner became detached from its fixing and wore a hole in the inner gaiter of the new shaft.

Purchased another complete new genuine driveshaft from Renault for ANother 140 quid.

Fitted that.

THis has lasted 6 months. I was underneath the car today and noticed the drivers side inner gaiter is split again. This time it appears to hve split where it joins the metal sleeve and for no apparent reason.

What next?

Am I right in thinking there is a 1 year warranty on this genuine renault part? Should I take the car to renault and get them to inspect the part for a warranty claim (MANUFACTURING DEFECT) or take it off the car and then take it to them?

I can't beleive they fail this often. I had a 182 from new for 2 years and that was fine!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Normally, they will want to see it on the car mate and if the claim is denied you will have to pay for the inspection so be sure its not your fault before you do this. If it is honoured though they will supply and fit it for free.

Mick

Thanks. I thought that would be the case. I am 100% sure there is nothing I have done that has caused the failure. Because the previous gaiter failed I have been checking every month or so to make sure the wheel arch liner or something else hasn't come in contact with it. Wheel arch liner is still zip tied in place and there is nothing else I can see that could have caused the damage.

I have been trying to rack my brains as to how the dealer could wriggle out of a warranty claim. I didn't know if they could say the warranty was invalid if the part wasn't fitted by a renault dealer?

I'll give it a go on Monday.

330 Ci
I had this problem with my 172 also, couldn't figure out why it kept splitting the inner gaiter.. I part ex'd it last week.

It had been involved in a minor front end bump on the opposite side, maybe this knocked/ twisted something?

I know what you are saying but I cant see anything that could hit the gaiter. Other than the fact the inner driveshaft joint runs about 5 mm from the block (which I think is normal), If something was twisted I would be able to see evidence of it hitting the gaiter.

I could see why the gaiter had failed the previous time as the wheel arch liner was dis lodged and resting on the gaiter. This time there is nothing.

In every other respect it is a mint car. 1 previous lady owner, full renault history - 48k hpi clear - I have had a paint depth gauge over the whole car and I dont think it has ever had a prang.

Toomey renault in laindon sell the driveshaft for £140 if you give them the old one. I think that is about the going rate.

Nope.

Never had a problem after cutting the end of the block off though

I have thought about it. Just feels like a bit of a bodge and as the relationship between driveshaft and block is fixed regardless of engine rock I cant see how they could touch unless block/driveshaft expand 5mm when they get really hot.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I have seen the stub axle/bearing carrier coming loose from the back of the block on a couple of occasions which has caused the inner boot to become damaged.

I have seen the stub axle/bearing carrier coming loose from the back of the block on a couple of occasions which has caused the inner boot to become damaged.

I just checked the bracket. It doesn't appear loose although need to have a proper inspection on the ramp with undershield off as difficult to check on the ground.

As it sounds like you have seen a few....Is it normal that the driveshaft sleeve/inner gaiter runs 2-3mm from the rib on the block? I am an engineer and just cannot beleive Renault would design it that way and be able to hold the tolerance with component variability vehicle to vehicle.

Thank for your help
:)

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
they do run close yes but i'm not sure what the actual dimension is. The older Renaults didn't run the carrier and opted to have a straight run but for one reason or another that design was changed. I've got to ask, you are using a genuine Renault shaft aren't you?

Just be sure the main bearing carrier is fixed "true" to the block and that the carrier itself isn't damaged. The 3 bolts that secure it are pretty idiot proof as they have a pretty large shoulder on them but if they've been switched out at some point for a standard M8 its possible its not sat true which will cause problems.

they do run close yes but i'm not sure what the actual dimension is. The older Renaults didn't run the carrier and opted to have a straight run but for one reason or another that design was changed. I've got to ask, you are using a genuine Renault shaft aren't you?

Just be sure the main bearing carrier is fixed "true" to the block and that the carrier itself isn't damaged. The 3 bolts that secure it are pretty idiot proof as they have a pretty large shoulder on them but if they've been switched out at some point for a standard M8 its possible its not sat true which will cause problems.

It is a genuine Renault part (not an exchange) which I bought from the same Renault dealer I will take the car to for an asessment. I'll do that this week.

Lionel Richie
no chance its a NEW driveshaft at £140, they've flogged you a service exchange unit (looks new but is a refurbed old item), NEW ones are £240ish

Normally, they will want to see it on the car mate and if the claim is denied you will have to pay for the inspection so be sure its not your fault before you do this. If it is honoured though they will supply and fit it for free.

Mick

Renault have checked and verified its a faulty part and are replacing the part and fitting for free.

Result.

Thanks for all your help.

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
I went through a fair amount of drive shafts when my 1.2 was on coilovers. Becase it was so slow they were sitting diffrent damaging the shaft, CV boots etc. Had a sh!t hot mechanic who actually shortend the drive shaft, it drove so good after that.

Not sure if your car is lowered but could be causing problems

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
they're s**t, regardless of what ye olde Huntsman says

They had an issue about 3 years ago when they stopped selling them for most fitments. They fixed the issue but forgot to remove the note about the issue. They've been fine for a long time.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
young? I'm 33, respect your elders. f**king whippersnapper

I've had not one single issue with reconditioned units that I've fitted so far, and thats quite a few. Even if there were anything wrong, they're warrantied, so it's win win. 100% of customers would rather spend £100 less per side so far