ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

5gt turbo engine into a 1.4 rt????

1992 1.4 rt 2.0 mr2 turbo
after many months of trying to sell my 1992 1.4 rt i have now desided to keep it and make it into a sleaper im going to bin the 1.4 engine. i have bought a £100 5 gt turbo engine and gearbox that are shagged. i am going to rebuild the engine using a mix of k-tec parts and other bits off ebay. im going to take it to around the 210 BHP mark what i need to know is how hard is it to fit the 5gt turbo eninge and gear box to the 1.4rt shell im lead to belive its straight forward drop[ in and bolt up is this right any help please???????????????????? i have also figured out i need bigger brakes prob off a valver and ill be getting the chassis seam welded and caged by a mate for a college course so i have all my angles covered.

corsa ecoflex
best bet is to get a valver gearbox as its a straight fit and will take the power of a gt lump.....as for the conversion its really straight forward,just take your time..

piece of pish conversion mate done 2 now........don't bother with so called tuner parts, jet the carb correctly to suit your acquired boost settings, get a decent charger and your laughing:)

2o psi equates to 200 hp roughly:)

good look

corsa ecoflex
this was my old one which was a valver

P1010114-1.jpg

P1010116-1.jpg

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Its a must! the sound of turbo :eek: ... Would love to see that go ivan :cool: , did it feel quicker than your 172?

corsa ecoflex
alot quicker than the 172...it was alot more raw as i had to loose the abs and power steering to fit the lump..and had to relocate the battery to the boot...i do miss it but it just wasnt practical as an everyday car that ran 30 miles a day

RS RIP
I honestly do'nt get payed by these guys but i end up promoting them a lot.. (makers of the MB shortshifter + the 172 lowboost turbokit )
I've read very good things about this system; replaces the carburator-s**t-system.. LOT of very happy GT5 drivers in Holland
may be of some help to you with your conversion.

http://www.mbcarperformance.nl/catalog/news.php?page=3

Last edited:
  1992 1.4 rt 2.0 mr2 turbo
i wont be using this car as a everyday car as i own a 360 bhp mr2 rev 3 turbo. i just could shift the clio i went to a car meet with a mate and there was a clio with a 5lump and it had to be done. thanks for all the advice guys. i will be spending money where its is needed such as intercooler and carb one more thing whats better a grill mounted inter-cooler or the twin coore upgrade that the likes of ktec do.

corsa ecoflex
dont get all that crap mate.....go for a 2wd cossie intercooler of ebay and give think automotive a call for the samco bends thety are based in isleworth,london ...