ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

6 speed 172 engine

Clio Mk1 + Clio DCI
Hi guys I'm gunna 6 speed my 172 engine as I am pushing for high horsepower. I found a 6 speed clio box from an 06 DCI, engine code of DCI was K4K and gearbox code TL4. I know sport boxes start with TL4 but with the 6 speed box fit the F4R engine. Before you guys start mentioning costs I want my question answered first

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Hi guys I'm gunna 6 speed my 172 engine as I am pushing for high horsepower. I found a 6 speed clio box from an 06 DCI, engine code of DCI was K4K and gearbox code TL4. I know sport boxes start with TL4 but with the 6 speed box fit the F4R engine. Before you guys start mentioning costs I want my question answered first

Yes sir!

Clio Mk1 + Clio DCI
You haven't asked a question so we can't answer it.
Will a TL4 Gearbox off a 6 speed clio dci, fit on a clio 172 engine?

Sorry I realized just then I didn't actually ask a question

I'm aware of the other work required, I know its hydro but thats not an issue. All I want to know is if the gearbox will fit.

Clio Mk1 + Clio DCI
Ah well worth a look, I'm going to use a 02m box then. Got a friend whos done it before and helping me fit it. Just wanted to see if the 6 speed clio box would fit

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
From experience of using both the 5 speed and 6 speed box from a 1.8T I prefer the 5.

Clio Mk1 + Clio DCI
I think it'll be tight with the 02m in a mk1. I'm fitting one with a BAM on the side of it and it's hitting chassis rails.

Yeah it is tight, but it will literally just fit, gunna be re-fabricating some of the mk1 bay to make it fit more flush, but it will fit in fine I think. Fingers crossed though measurements are just measurements lol

PB172,dci100,dci65
clio dci engines start with K9K.
I dont think i will be just a swap.

But i wish you good luck, everything is only a matter of time and can be done.

Clio Mk1 + Clio DCI
I will be fitting a 6 speed 02m box on a turbo'd 172 engine. I am putting in a 6 speed 02m box as it gives me the option of a 6th gear and a 4wd option. I will eventually make it 4wd for now I want to have a higher speed and better gear ratios, which the 02m box offers. When it comes to fitting and setting up the 02m box in my mk1 I will take photos and log what I do for anyone else who might want to do the same thing. As karol said anything can be done with time and effort, I have the luxury of time ;) my plan is a year, to obtain, rebuild and install the conversion. That includes setting up and running in the engine

Clio Mk1 + Clio DCI
The entire front end i being re shaped and re done, so yes everything comes down to where will it fit best? There is a hell of alot of work to go on, but it will be worth it in the end

Clio Mk1 + Clio DCI
Hung up on the cup arent we? I like my mk1, I'm keeping my mk1, I havent spent much on my mk1, engine was in effect free, head was £50 and got everything I need from previous projects. I dont need to spend anything on my mk1. 02m box was free

Bit obsessed with the mk1 aren't we? ;)

If you've got the skill and knowledge to do it then fair play. If you do do it then you should make a guide or at least do a project thread.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
The entire front end i being re shaped and re done, so yes everything comes down to where will it fit best? There is a hell of alot of work to go on, but it will be worth it in the end

Hung up on the cup arent we? I like my mk1, I'm keeping my mk1, I havent spent much on my mk1, engine was in effect free, head was £50 and got everything I need from previous projects. I dont need to spend anything on my mk1. 02m box was free

I R Confused.

Personally I think you are mad, but crack on.....

Clio Mk1 + Clio DCI
I'm not doing it alone I have some friends helping, I haven't got enough skill to do it alone. But I am determined that it will work. Each of my friends have their own skill and going to utilize those skills. I will make a guide, it should be starting soon

Clio Mk1 + Clio DCI
Yeah slightly :lolup:. I have alot of parts and have alot given to me. The only thing I am needing to buy and pay for is the roll cage, and some random parts

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
As dan says if you want to "4wd it" later on then you will find the transfer box and the steering rack occupying the same space, which if my grasp of the laws of physics serves me correct kind of is a problem.

So if you are going to "4wd it" (I love how easy that is to say, kind of like "polish it" or something else you do one afternoon) then you are utterly wasting your time making it all fit 2wd first of all as the uprights have steering locations that wont suit the new rack position etc, which means you'll then be wanting new driveshafts again to suit whatever donor uprights you choose etc, and even if you are going to pikey it about by cutting and shutting a clio shaft and a VW shaft thats a lot of hassle.

Then things like the custom flywheel to fit the VW clutch and 172 engine, im intrigued how you intend to do that without spending any money?

I'm of the opinion you have NO concept of what is actually involved in what you are doing and that in a year it still wont be done, but good luck anyway :)

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
As dan says if you want to "4wd it" later on then you will find the transfer box and the steering rack occupying the same space, which if my grasp of the laws of physics serves me correct kind of is a problem.

So if you are going to "4wd it" (I love how easy that is to say, kind of like "polish it" or something else you do one afternoon) then you are utterly wasting your time making it all fit 2wd first of all as the uprights have steering locations that wont suit the new rack position etc, which means you'll then be wanting new driveshafts again to suit whatever donor uprights you choose etc, and even if you are going to pikey it about by cutting and shutting a clio shaft and a VW shaft thats a lot of hassle.

Then things like the custom flywheel to fit the VW clutch and 172 engine, im intrigued how you intend to do that without spending any money?

I'm of the opinion you have NO concept of what is actually involved in what you are doing and that in a year it still wont be done, but good luck anyway :)

Not to mention the fact that a 172 engine would be pish running 4x4. You'd be better off dropping something already boosted in their with plenty of potential.

In for a penny....

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Not to mention the fact that a 172 engine would be pish running 4x4. You'd be better off dropping something already boosted in their with plenty of potential.

In for a penny....

Given the amount of work to the rear end as well (the beam on a mk1 is totally unsuitable for use with driven wheels) it would make more sense to just get something like a scooby which is relatively modular in construction, and then fit the front and back ends both from it, a bit like Specky who works for RS Tuning has done with a Corsa C.

Even thats a bit pointless though, as you may as well just leave the engine in the scooby shell which is better than a mk1 clio one anyway, but if you specifically want a 4wd mk1 (like me with my honda project it would make more sense in a civic but I just want a mk1 clio anyway) then thats a good way to do it.