ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

97" Screen on a budget

18 months ago I moved into this house, and decided I wanted to do something with the loft space (17ft x 13ft).

1d24244e.jpg

Over Christmas I decided that I could make the room usable without spending any money. The idea was, if I used the room in it's cheap/budget state, I could justify spending money on a proper job.

I won't bore you, but it cost me £100 in materials, 10 hrs, an old projector and a spare Apple TV 3.

11671854484_4c24cec480_b.jpg

11671849694_49d3a06a2f_b.jpg

11671484535_182c5d11cb_b.jpg

11672278256_1b97542789_b.jpg

I still need to:

• Hide the water tank (I'll make a wooden box)
  • Create a lid for the hatch (as opposed to pulling the ladder up)
  • Speakers/amp
  • Wall mount the projector
  • Sort wiring out
  • Buy a couple of beanbags

It's a budget setup. And may only get used once a month.

Where do you store your Christmas decorations etc?

I must admit from looking at the first picture I was expecting to scroll down and see a sex swing and other dungeon devices set up.

Where do you store your Christmas decorations etc?

I must admit from looking at the first picture I was expecting to scroll down and see a sex swing and other dungeon devices set up.

There's tons of storage beyond the sides (the first picture shows the space beyond the vertical posts). I've got a lot of crap up there already.

Ah. I thought some of the work was turning the red end black and putting a screen over it - hadn't noticed you'd taken a picture from either end. As you were.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Looks cool :)

Shame about the header tank or whatever it is in the way though but I guess you can move that when you spend the money.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Seen that on Instagram CJ, very impressive and very jealous!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
That tank placement is incredible. Right where you don't want it.

Very Impressed. Especially the Apple TV part.

Did your budget stretch to insulation? Thats going to be f**k cold if it didn't.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Box it in, keep as low as possible, et voila, table!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Should be the hottest place in the house, heat rises.

Assuming that some sheets hung on the inside are 100% thermally non conductive your logic is impeccable.

However in the real world, if heat leaves the roof quicker than it comes up the hatch, it will be pretty cold in there.

J-J

ClioSport Club Member
Is that a flue for a log burner or fire at the back? Will the fabric be ok around it when it's been on a few hours?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Propane space heater would be simplest way to heat, but its only a few months till things warm up anyway, so the opposite will be the issue soon after, it being too hot! Although should be nice in the summer evenings :)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
For the time it's taken you and the cost, it's bloody superb!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
That's awesome!

Plaster board isn't that expensive is it? And insulation foam, the type sandwiched between to sheets of foil. Is all you need to make it comfortable :)

Proper insulation board (as opposed to rockwool sheets that are foam lined) are very expensive, and even rockwool isn't cheap tbh.

plasterboard is cheap as chips but won't fit up the hatch so would have to the made into thinner strips. They do chipboard/MDF in sizes to fit up hatches though.

It soon adds up.

A4 Avant
Looks ace. Do you have to re setup the projector each time due to the fact it's on an extension lead from the room below.

I'd be careful before you do anything more permanent i.e. Plasterboard, due to the increase in weight on the roof joists.

Looks ace. Do you have to re setup the projector each time due to the fact it's on an extension lead from the room below.

I'd be careful before you do anything more permanent i.e. Plasterboard, due to the increase in weight on the roof joists.

Projectors store the settings so no he won't have to (providing he doesn't physically move it)

Thanks for the comments.

Yes it's old up there, in the short term I'll use an electric heater.

When/if I eventually go the proper route, I won't do it myself, and it'll abide by building regs.

The screen was made using 65mm pine wood strips, angle cut, strengthened in the corners, then 4 layers of white flat sheets, stretched and stapled. Cost £25.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
So you go to all this effort to build a huge secret home cinema area and you don't watch p**n on it!!??!! Dissaponted

I like though

dk

911 GTS Cab
looks nice, and shouldn't be too difficult to heat in the winter but in the summer its going to be unbearably hot, lofts are ridiculous in the summer.

When/if I eventually go the proper route, I won't do it myself, and it'll abide by building regs.

If and when you come to do it the proper route it could turn out expensive, you will find that what were ceiling joist's that are now floor joist's will have to be bigger and you cant just insulate between roof joist's because airflow has to be maintained. If you want to board them in you may have to add lots of tile vents. Adding a Velux or similar will get you round the heat issue in summer though and they are reasonably easy to fit.