ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

A day out with my kit lens (Lulworth Cove)

As I'm 10-20less my 50mm has been ever-present when not shooting motorsport, but as I was packing my bag this morning I found something I've not used since January 2007...my kit lens. Apart from stupidly leaving my camera on ISO400 all day, it seemed to work well, nice and sharp, wide enough to be useful and it made for a very light/small camera bag for the day. Just a few snapshots, but captured our day out to Lulworth Cove nicely...

357395807_wp8Ay-L.jpg

357397339_UaYQq-L.jpg

357398328_dBSdV-L.jpg

357399312_HaY6i-L.jpg

357389066_uYywL-L.jpg

357389858_E4U2m-L.jpg

357393118_duQ6C-L.jpg

357393632_jFoww-L.jpg

Great stuff, that Pink Flower shot is a beauty.

We left at 7:30 this morning and were there by 9, was amazing for the first hour or so, we were the only people in the Cove. Would love to stay around for sunset one day, hard to do anything spectacular in bright daylight.

Clio II 1.4 Priveleg
An excellent set. Amazing composition on all of them. Sharp as a knife even though ISO set incorrectly? I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
I am in awe of your photography and find your shooting an inspiration.
I must try harder and learn more!!!!!

Bob

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
If ever proof were needed that you don't need a fancy lens to take great photos!

They look slightly SD compared to your normal HD tbh Chris...is that from the lens? Light?

A combo of ISO400 (which loses some quality), the kit lens (which isn't as sharp as my other lenses) and the time of day (midday in bright sunshine is the worst possible time to take pics)

That's my excuses anyway ;)

A couple from today to add, popped into the garden to feed my fish and noticed this beast just sat there, went back in, grabbed my camera, screwed the close-up filter on and it was still there when I got back. Wasn't in the best place (against the garage wall) but was nice to finally get close to one.

Nikon D50 + Nikon 50mm 1.8 + Hoya Close-up Filter +4

358071381_N9TEn-L.jpg

358069516_X8igW-L.jpg

358068419_5QCFA-L.jpg

A nice closer crop to show you how well a bolt on filter can work...

358072185_k8Ckh-L.jpg

Got a couple of PMs about the close-up filter. It's actually a lens, just looks like a standard screw on filter, they come in several levels of 'power', usually +1, +2, +4, and essentially magnify your existing lens and allow you to focus much closer. Obviously you will also lose plenty of depth of field, but that's a given with macro photography. You can also stack them, the strongest one needs to be closest to your lens.

I got this one...

Hoya Close Up Filter +4

The 52mm +4 works nicely on the Nikon 50mm and the standard kit lens.

Fiat Panda 100hp
Got a couple of PMs about the close-up filter. It's actually a lens, just looks like a standard screw on filter, they come in several levels of 'power', usually +1, +2, +4, and essentially magnify your existing lens and allow you to focus much closer. Obviously you will also lose plenty of depth of field, but that's a given with macro photography. You can also stack them, the strongest one needs to be closest to your lens.

I got this one...

Hoya Close Up Filter +4

The 52mm +4 works nicely on the Nikon 50mm and the standard kit lens.

That work okay with the standard 18-55mm then harry?

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
Just ordered a set of ebay +1, +2 and 4 for £17 delivered. I've often looked at these, but not seen favourable results until now.

So, would these close-up filters be better on my 18-200 or 30mm? The 30mm is much better at Macro due to its focusing distance but the 30mm goes to F1.4?

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
i think you are supposed to set the aperture to as wide as possible, so i'd go for the 30mm

So, would these close-up filters be better on my 18-200 or 30mm? The 30mm is much better at Macro due to its focusing distance but the 30mm goes to F1.4?

Turn the zoom to 200mm and whats the MFD like vs the prime? Whichever gets you closest or you use more, grab the filters for that.

i think you are supposed to set the aperture to as wide as possible, so i'd go for the 30mm

Generally you'll want to stop down, f/1.4 at macro distances can give insanely small DoF.

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
Lulworth is amazing.. Thats where i done my advanced gunners course when i was in the army!!!

If your shooting natural light that could be a problem but macro and f/1.4 is not the best but of course you can always stop down.. not worth getting filters if the 200 is still going to be better than the 30 + filters..