ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Abusing a 1.2

I dont feel that I utterly rag it to death but besides generally throttling it hard every day to get to work on time, I tend to do a lot of long-distance motorway driving at 90-100.

Obviously such driving - in comparison to that of your average OAP on a Sunday afternoon - will naturally result increased fuel bills and servicing costs.

But can anybody tell me if there are more serious implications? Is my car likely to suffer a premature mechanical death? I figured that, given the similarity to its bigger-brother Clios, the car is structurally fit to do 100+ but how about mechanically? Is such a small engine "happy" to work overtime at 4.5-5krpm?

Id be interested to hear what anybody has to say.

Neil

i was wondering the same today as i was floating between 4-5k rpm for a couple of hours driving to Braehead and back, i know i wasnt hitting the limiter or no lights coming on either to say "stop your engine is f**ked" but yeah i wouldnt mind knowing myself

well i have done 8803 miles at an average of 33.9mpg (very low for a 1.2) in my 1.2 in only 5 months, so far *touch wood* no mechanical issues

S

SoundWave

I have done 47000 miles in mine and up to a few weeks ago it hasnt missed a beat. I travel 80 miles everyday (to work and back) so I keep it working hard!

Im not quite sure what the problem is it has at the moment, dont think Reno do either! But im almost certain its a silly electrical fault and nothing mechanical.

As Chris said, if you maintain it properly it should go for a long while *grabs some wood!*

182 k miles and the other night spent 25 mins sitting between 5 and 6 krpm on the motorway. Which equates to about 60 miles or full throttle driving.

Then again thats with a decent engine (1.4 energy);)

Renault design the engine so that it will survive for 60000+ miles hard driving so they dont have to go replacing engines. My guess is that they build them to take about 85hp for least 120k so that they can be sure that when they sell them second hand that nothing should need replacing however the car is driven.

Anyway most cars engines are still going after 130000+ miles as long as there serviced its other stuff like bodies which go before the engine.