ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ade's Renaultsport 182 Project (+boost)

Strange maybe worth you going for the adaptronic coil pack? My turbo to downpipe is the only one that didn't come loose [emoji23]

Mine felt flat too wasn't sure why, but guess the heat won't help.

Just more niggles really for me as mentioned above. Got a paddle clutch last week as the increase in power helped strip the organic. Just starting to get fed up now with the constant costs.

In all honesty George I'm probably on my 3rd coil pack so far, I guess I just always wrongly assume it's that when it starts missing! The plugs could be an issue as it starts on what feels like 2 cylinders when frosty/icy but changing between Renault leads and leads from EFI doesn't seem to make a difference.

I've been running Andy's coil pack bracket for a fair while now, unfortunately this means the ground wire can't comfortably reach the upper inlet bolt so I've had to ground it via the coil pack bolt that secures the coil pack to the inlet. It's probably unrelated in all fairness!

Strange maybe worth you going for the adaptronic coil pack? My turbo to downpipe is the only one that didn't come loose [emoji23]

Mine's on the Adaptronic coil pack mate. Apparently they don't like heat and since they are situated above the turbo it means the heat gets to them which is why mine keeps failing! Converting the Adaptronic to run the Renault coilpack is about £150 if I remember correctly.

Ah right I'm using that and not had a problem thus far and I'm running more boost. Maybe try without the ground wire there seems a coincidence really.

Drove a few different cars and they all seem somewhat disconnected in comparison to the clio and let's face it not going to be able to afford anything as quick for the money I could sell mine for. Would love a golf gtd mapped [emoji5]️ leaning towards the sensible side of things.

If you can get to Scoff get him to update your Adaptronic firmware mate! Mine is so much smoother since he updated mine and tweaked the map.... Really impressed! Said he couldn't get rid of a judder at 1,200rpm but I think this is due to a loose engine mount. The car is so much more well behaved off boost!

I'll email him to check, I only moved to adaptronic early this year so may already be on the current version. Mines much smoother than previous though. The vibratechnics are good mate not as bad as people make out.

The vibratechnics are good mate not as bad as people make out.

I barely noticed a difference between stock mounts and the Vibratechnics.... But as I asked Andy to fit these as part of the conversion I was probably too busy trying to control the increased torque steer to notice any extra vibration that these gave off.

So a few weeks ago I took the car back to Clioturbo as there was an occasional significant power cut when over 4,00RPM, plus I wanted the belts and dephaser changing earlier than recommended. As it's running 0.6 bar of boost I am paranoid of the increased strain on the engine and belts than it was designed to withstand from the factory.

Andy really looked after me, my passenger (@Paul.M ) and the car whilst he carried out the work. Andy even enlisted my help to turn a ratchet to time my engine correctly which made me feel more useful than just a brew boy! :smile: Andy then took the car for a rip and I heard the familiar banging and popping from a distance that signals the power cut mentioned above kicking in.

Andy hazarded a guess that it was overboosting but wanted me to give it some welly whilst he monitored the Adaptronic's readings on his laptop. He quickly saw that at over 4,000RPM the coolant temperature would spike to 130oC. It was only a single hit so not enough for the car's gauge to react but enough for the ECU to spoil the fun. Andy did a quick rewire of the coolant temperature sensor wire from the Renault ECU to the Adaptronic and the car has been perfect since!

I ended up buying a new centre cap for my Turini from Renault and sprayed this up so the car is almost back to the very tidy condition that I want it to be. I have noticed some rust on the underneath of the bonnet and some paint peeling from the front bumper. I'm tempted to buy both another bumper and bonnet to get sprayed, and have some Focus RS vents fitted and colour coded into the bonnet to aid with heat dissipation however I am open to other options as I don't want to spoil the 'stealth' look of the car (I prefer the clean look tbh). Things are getting a little toasty under the bonnet due to the hybrid T28 so any mods to the bonnet won't be just for show and will be well thought through. :smile:

Top job again @Andyrg@ ClioTurbo :up:

Last edited:

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
I'll second Andys top work, as always a good laugh was had while he worked on the car.

Also your car really makes me want boost, we'll have to go for a few pics once mine finally gets a good clean again :)