ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Air Filter - Insurance Mod?

Ang

Pink/Blue 182
Did your car leave the factory, when built, with the parts you have fitted?

Yes = Car standard
No = Car modified

Make sense now?

My car has a new ariel and a new sound system neither of which need to be declared so thats not strictly true

If you want them to be covered by your insurance they need to be declared....ok so you may not be bothered about an aerial but if you have spent a lot of money on a sound system and the car gets stolen then I would of thought you would want the money back...fair enough you may just see it as a Risk on your part but the statement still stands that

Yes = Car standard
No = Car modified

Renault clio 1.6 16v mk2
tbh my old mans in the motor trade n the time it takes for an insurance assesor to reach yo car u could probably take it to bits and rebuild it most of the time. Most decent local garages will be able to change anything over n if u front end it badly whose to say the airbox didnt jus break up in the accident. Only major points r wheels suspension n full exhaust systems. most insurance companies we've come across have never mentioned jus a back box bein fitted n if in doubt always keep all the stuff u take off yo car. i've got a yr 2000rsi n i've done a fair bit too it. - only thing is obviously if u do crash u are only gonna get repaid for the stock items on your car. as for changin companies if yo only 17 its gonna muller yo premium if u start tellin em stuff. in my opinion insurance is a rip off especially if your a young male driver y give them even more of yo hard earned cash for silly little things u can change if s**t does happen

Clio 182
i'm with direct line also, the way i got around my induction kit and exhaust was not telling them. if need be ill just put the std airbox bk on if i have and accident and pic up a cheap kwik fit exhaust thenthe brokes cant refuse a pay out

Thats a great idea. Well done.:nono:

I hate having to type this but anyway here goes, a few years ago I wrote my Cup off, it was well modded and all declared. The police attended, took photo's, carted my car off to a locked pound where I was only allowed to attend to collect things like clothes and CDs.

You will have NO oppertunity to replace or swap ANY parts in any shape or form. You risk having your insurance policy cancelled, a smashed up car, loads of debt and no way to pay it as well as the police treating you as an uninsured driver.

I've seen it all before, on this forum and on others.

So in answer to the original poster, here's a quick thing to remember.

Yes = Car standard
No = Car modified

Make sense now?

I'm with you on this and i'm bored of hearing the words 'just swap it over' if your car is compounded how are you going to swap it round? if the front of your car is mullered how are you going to just pop the old bumper back on? Just spend the £40 quid on a night out with a bird and have the peace of mind that if you trashed it into her old mans car when picking her up you can happily know that your covered. Insurance companys will do anything to get out of paying out.

Renault clio 1.6 16v mk2
yeah i suppose thats fair enough i can only speak from my point of view, whereby i have good contacts with local towing companies and am only 3rd party fire n theft - so if i mash my own car its upto me - if i hit someone else my insurance aint gonna be lookin at my car n if someone hits me its goin straight back to my garage as i will be dealin with their insurance not mine! - obviously if ur car is HEAVILY modified body kits etc then yeah of course u cant jus not mention it but wit little things like back boxes replacement panel filters like this guy's talkin bout y as a 17 yr old would u wanna hike yo premium up by a fortune. as for the police towin your car to an impound sounds stange unless they knew u wernt fully insured when they turned up. Even if your blockin a road u pay for the recovery so they should take it where eva u want ??

Last edited:
  No wheels :(
Hmmn... Given me Lots to think about...

I've only had my Car (First Car) now for jsut over a month and do want to mod it, exhaust perhaps a De-cat and a Air Filter, but Directline wont allow it...

Is it alot of hassle big time to change insurance companies ?? e.g. to Quinn Direct for me being 17... ??

Help !! :)

Clio 172 (53)
im with directline but no matter what insurance company you go to. all you need to say is you have mods and they will put up the price up no matter what dif it makes to performance if any.

its not the fact it makes the car fast but you thinking that it does and trying it.

if you want the speed it prob be cheaper to insure a 1.4 or 1.6 than a 1.2 with mods will handle better as well

change your car mate my advice