ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alfa 159 2.4 JTDM Sportwagon TI

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Well after the thread I posted about wanting a cheap diesel, this is the outcome...

Bit of background, I’ve always loved these. I mean just look at it. I do just over 30k a year, over the last two years over put 62k on my RangeRover so it’s now worth zero, to stop to being worth a negative number, I wanted a car to do just the normal commute (50 miles round) and when I need something nicer I’ll use the Rangie.

Buying an Alfa is always a lottery, my mate bought a cheap 147 GTa once for £6k. After £4K worth of electrical work, he sold it for £5k.

Which brings me onto this one... the last owner bought it in 2018 for £8k, since then he’s spent £4K on it, inc £1k to get it through it’s last MOT two weeks ago. After all that it still isn’t right, so I bid him in the balls for it and picked it up in the dark on Friday night.

On the 62 mile drive home, the powersteering gave up.... but it did do 50mpg! Oh and the micro switch in the key broke so I have to use the emergency key to lock it...

So all I’ve done so far is top the PAS up and redo all the connections on it and then checked if the dog fit in the boot....

9538EA0C-90D0-4F79-A715-A2714E09D713.jpeg

BA9DE87E-2847-4248-B633-098C809C6FEC.jpeg

78523D37-FF45-4568-8E42-031D78CF9971.jpeg

E76ECC1E-D9DD-4E0C-90C3-ECE5A61DE777.jpeg

All in all it’s a pretty rare TI spec wise..
2.4 Diesel (working bar a s**t cold start due to stuck swirl flaps)
Auto gearbox (working)
Electric heated seats (working)
Front and rear parking sensors (not working)
Bose HiFi (working)
Someone’s added a CarPlay headunit which is handy (working)
Climate control (air con is dead)

What it needs:
Cambelt and Swirl Flap delete - £700 (cambelt isn’t due but it has to come off the get the inlet manifold off!)
Decent front tyres - £200
Alignment - £150
Wheel refurb - £250
Air con regas - £40
Key refurb kit - £20

Other stuff I’d like:
Some paint chips sorting - £300
New badges - £80
Spacers - £80
Remap to 240bhp - £200

Overall I love it, it was cheap and is kind of a project. Who knows what tomorrow will bring!

I was pondering these when I was considering a new(er) car for commuting, it's a load of car for the money and you can't argue with those looks.

The 1.9 are supposed to be super-reliable, aren't they, being a unit shared with Fiat?

The 2.4s are a rarer beast and pretty swift IIRC.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
I was pondering these when I was considering a new(er) car for commuting, it's a load of car for the money and you can't argue with those looks.

The 1.9 are supposed to be super-reliable, aren't they, being a unit shared with Fiat?

The 2.4s are a rarer beast and pretty swift IIRC.
The 1.9 is found in Fiats, Saab’s and Vauxhall’s! Same with the latter 2.0.

The 2.4 is a 1.9 with literally an extra cylinder, it was too long to fit in the other chassis so only Alfa used it.

It’s quite a quick engine once rolling considering mine is leaking boost from the swirl flap spindles!

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Bloke next door to me has got two of these, nice cars I’m a big fan of the interiors.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
A dreadful choice of car for your needs, no question.

But heroic nonetheless. I absolutely love Them I think they’re Beautiful.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
A mate had one of these. His was mapped and went like stink. They sound nice for a derv too.

He did a lot of miles in it travelling all over Europe and it was faultless. However one day it decided to spontaneously combust on the motorway and that was that. 😂

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Lovely cars, completely form over function and as such more than likely purchased with heart over head.

I will own a late spec 1.7tbi version one day, I yearn for one, lol

Enjoy

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
I spend far too long searching for a 1.7 tbi Ti before I bought my Clio. Was hard to find a good one 4 years ago so now it must be impossible!

They pop up from time to time, but late spec wagons with half leather and charcoal insert dash are uber rare. Plus still can't make my mind up if I want roof bars or not and that's a no change decision... Stupid alfa design department

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Ah that'll be alright, I was watching a old Wheeler Dealers the other day and Mike put 'runways' on a Sierra Sapphire Cos which he reckoned was knocking out about 400 ponies! :LOL:
Yeah I don't get the logic.... This cars last MOT was £1100... in that was an £71 235/40/19. I mean, you are dropping a grand, another £70 odd for a decent tyre can't hurt...

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
Been reading up on these after you posted and some folk on that pistonheads thrown thousands at these before they’re running properly!

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
I don't get it either! People seem to forget how important good tyres and brakes are.
Also doing that left it with:

OSR: Pirelli P Zero - 6mm
NSR: Pirelli P Zero - 6mm
OSF: God Knows - 2.5mm
NSF: God Knows - 8mm

All that done while spending nearly 5k on other stuff!

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I don't get the logic.... This cars last MOT was £1100... in that was an £71 235/40/19. I mean, you are dropping a grand, another £70 odd for a decent tyre can't hurt...

I don't get it either! People seem to forget how important good tyres and brakes are.

They're just the black things that go on your alloys to most people.

Changing worn tyres is seen as an inconvenience to many, so the lowest cost possible is all they're interested in.