ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Angel-Works Technologies & Solid-fabrications Turbo RHD s2000 collaboration

1 problem with USDM parts, and getting them to fit on UKDM/JDM cars is the obvious LHD/RHD differences.
This difference was a problem with the Full-Race ram horn turbo kit for the s2000 that the customer purchased for his vehicle.
The brake booster, steering column and abs unit fouled the ram horn manifold on his JDM s2000, which meant the turbo kit took a back seat in his closet until a RHD kit was made. 1.5 years later, he couldn't wait no more, and so went in search of a custom turbo kit. most places booked him in, and kept on rebooking him, as they were swamped with work. Annoyed by that fact, he asked if we (angel-works) could turbo his car.
We agreed to take on the project, and collaborated with Solid-fabrications. And in 2 days, we have designed and mocked up a sidewinder bottom mount manifold, 3 inch downpipe and exhaust, and boost piping. There are a few things left to do, (wg, bov, weld everything together) but the major components are in place.

Apologise for the fone camera pics, will be getting better pics taken once the manifold is complete.

The original design was to go with a sidewinder top mount setup, ala inline pro/love-fab, but then that wouldnt allow a 3 inch dp, as they dont have the steering column to contend with. Being a bottom mount, angling the turbo at 45degrees, or there about wasnt gonna be easy, especially trying to turn the 3 inch downpipe around the vtec solenoid and oil filter.

heres a few pics of the kit being made.

making a temporary jig to hold the turbo where we want it.
DSC00632.gif

20 hours later and the manifold, dp, exh system, boost piping is done. i did take pics of the process inbetween, but thought i'd load the best pics.
DSC00652.gif

DSC00653.gif

heres some pics of the turbo kit on a mock engine we had lying around.
DSC00655.gif

DSC00662.gif

DSC00660.gif

DSC00659.gif

DSC00661.gif

we ran out of straight sch10, and had to make do just to get the manifold complete, but the long section on no4 will be gettin replaced.
DSC00657.gif

heres pics of the turbo brace/manifold support
DSC00663.gif

DSC00665.gif

DSC00664.gif

another triangular gusset will be added for further support.

the collector clears the bonnet/hood with about 10mm to spare. an oil filter relocator will be needed with this kit.
best of all, a 4 inch d/p will fit aswell, but the customer specified a 3 inch dp and exh.
the turbo hangs 7mm from the chassis cross beam, and theres lots of space for the wastegate.
best of all, there are only 2 boost pipes, suprisingly, you can manoeuvre the boost pipes into place, even though they are such long weird shape pieces.

material used:
sch10 3mm for the manifold
cnc milled 12mm stainless turbo and manifold flange
2.5 inch stainless hot side boost piping
2.5-3 inch stainless cone and 3inch cold side boost piping
3 inch stainless dp and exhaust.
6mm stainless turbo brace.

all TIG welded, and manifold will be back purged.

more pics will be added when the kit gets finished

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
what turbo is it? looks good work! havent spoken to ben in ages! hows work going?? and lol at mock engine u had laying around!

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
dont let ben drive it after what he did to the legacy or whatever it was lol...

hnmm turbo s2000 sounds nice though! need video's of it running and sound clips also!

you running a screamer pipe off the wastegate or plumbing it back in to the exhaust?

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
will be fun then :D mate of mine has a r32gtr running a biiiig single turbo with external wg with screamer to atmos and its mental lol!

great build, boosted S2000 sounds like fun:)

keep updated and definitaly get some vids up when its all together.

The stock engine will take that power.

Mase had 600+BHP on stock internals with 100K+ on the lump :eek:

thats the thing, mase likes to tune cars for a street setup and then put race gas in it, turn the boost past 18psi, and see the maximum he can get. then turns the boost back down to reliable levels.

this customer has no intention of running race gas, nor does he need to 'see' what power the engine might make on race gas. good old 99 ron is expensive enough.

mase will be tuning this car btw. im sure it'll make good power

UPDATE!!!!

Solid-Fab got the materials in to make the jig, so mass production can start if there is a demand.
heres a few pics
IMAGE_200.gif

IMAGE_203.gif

with the jig made, the manifold can be taken apart to be welded up properly.
IMAGE_204.gif

IMAGE_213.gif

IMAGE_219.gif

IMAGE_220.gif

the turbo flange and the dp flange were bolted to a solid ally plate to prevent warping whilst welding.
IMAGE_214.gif

IMAGE_208.gif

IMAGE_210.gif

waiting on more sch10 piping to finish the rest of the manifold off.
stay tuned for more updates :)

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
will look pretty lol :D would be nice to see it finished keep up the updates.

RB 182 with CUP packs
thats the thing, mase likes to tune cars for a street setup and then put race gas in it, turn the boost past 18psi, and see the maximum he can get. then turns the boost back down to reliable levels.

this customer has no intention of running race gas, nor does he need to 'see' what power the engine might make on race gas. good old 99 ron is expensive enough.

mase will be tuning this car btw. im sure it'll make good power

I was just trying to point out the OEM internals can handle the power.

Is Mase mapping it on the 12th Dec?
My pal is having his turbo'd S2K tweaked by him after some changes he's made.

If there car is there I may well see it

fred, yes the bends are cast.

malice, u refering to the jig?? thats just to hold the jig together. the turbo support/brace is the one you see in the first set of pics.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

malice, u refering to the jig?? thats just to hold the jig together. the turbo support/brace is the one you see in the first set of pics.

no i mean on the underside of the runners on manifolds like tommei and hks etc they put a small flat pentagon shape of metal they weld it at 90 degrees to the manifold flange and flat against the bottom of the runner... then seal a weld around it to strengthen the weld and lessen cracking?

and i cant find a friggin picture lol...

Lionel Richie

yeah, i'll remember to read the entire post next time, i missed the sch10 on your initial post!!! ooops :eek:

is sch10 whats required? i assume they use that on turbo manifolds due to its thickness/resistance to cracking/can support the weight of the turbo etc, normal seamless tube would be too weak and couldn't handle the heat. hence why some of the BIG power boys are using what they call "steam pipe" for the turbo manifolds (over 5mm thick!)

malice, ive only ever seen runner braces on NA manifolds, never on FI manifolds. tbh, with the weight of the turbo taken by the turbo brace, the manifold wont be under stress from any undue weight. the manifold will be heat coated. to prevent it settin fire to the bonnet, as it sits so close.

fred, sch10 is the best option because of its ability to withstand high boost levels, high temps and not crack or fatigue.

Lionel Richie
out of interest what welding rods are you using and what welder?? (i'm a welding geek btw!)

i'm going shopping for a Lincon Electric inverter 205 (i think thats the model)