ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another 1.8 16v cliosport conversion

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
This conversion is obviously becoming popular but we're very pleased with our work all the same. What started as a simple tart up, mot and track day hasnow started to turn into a full on project starting with...

01072007065.jpg

05072007072.jpg

19072007083.jpg

We were lucky enough to source a phase 1 48k donor car, cheers steve. Stripping the 172 pretty much turned into a garden party

27072007091.jpg

28072007094.jpg

28072007093.jpg

So we began stripping the old 1.8

02082007103.jpg

02082007104.jpg

02082007105.jpg

We did some comparisons

02082007106.jpg

02082007107.jpg

03082007108.jpg

Got the v-belt with no power steering (personal choice) or a/c sorted. Thanks wayne

11082007133.jpg

11082007135.jpg

Now just waiting for the flywheel to come back from lightening and balancing, then just fit the new clutch, attach the box and throw it all in the 1.8.
Thanks for looking, we'll keep you all posted.

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
From what we've found out it all goes pretty much straight across, obviously there's a bit of adapting to do but none of it sounds too scary.

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
The Flywheel is at a local engine engineering shop being lightened and balanced to give it a livelier throttle response and i'm planning to get it chipped and rolling roaded but other than that it's pure driving fun i'm after. Other plans though are full lightening (sound deadening etc) full weld in cage, buckets etc and a respray inside and out (I work in a bodyshop).

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
We used the valver alternator becuase it works better on the aduster bracket as they're from a similar era (my brother dropped the 172 alternator, braking pulley, and making the decision easier) Lol.:quiet:
Neighbours don't seem too fussed as I don't live in the most afluent area:)
The valve was strong as an ox and bullet quick before we stripped it so if anyones interested in the lump just pm me. (It comes with everything except an alternator:D )

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
UPDATE!!

Just a quick progress report.
Wednesday night we finally got the flywheel back from lightening and balancing (half a kilo lighter). Put a new clutch in, fitted the gearbox and swung the 172 lump into the valver.

17082007140.jpg

Since then we've got the subframe, most the brakes and suspension fitted, gear linkage attached along with the clutch and throttle cable. Temporarily mouted the the 172 rad to make sure it all fits, now its just a case of making a bracket to fit it perminately.

18082007143.jpg

We're currnetly waiting on a workshop cd off e bay to get the wiring diagrams for the engine. We've got a bit to go before its running but we're certainly making progress.

18082007146.jpg

Thanks

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
top work :D

i would be interested to hear what goes on with the wiring as i am planning on doing this conversion (in the process of getting the 1.8 out and sourcing a 2.0 lump)

i am a bit naff when it comes to electrics so any sort of guide or instruction would be very cool :)

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v

i would be interested to hear what goes on with the wiring as i am planning on doing this conversion (in the process of getting the 1.8 out and sourcing a 2.0 lump)

i am a bit naff when it comes to electrics so any sort of guide or instruction would be very cool :)

As we said we're waiting on wiring diagrams off ebay at the moment but when they're here my brother (Merc technician) is gonna get straight on it and has said he'll be more than happy to write you out a wire by wire guide as he goes.

As we said we're waiting on wiring diagrams off ebay at the moment but when they're here my brother (Merc technician) is gonna get straight on it and has said he'll be more than happy to write you out a wire by wire guide as he goes.

that would be spot on mate and a real help! :D

also another question, are you using the 172 box? but 16v driveshafts? (im assuming this from what you have put in the for sale section ;) ) if you are how you finding the mountings line up?

Golf GTI PP Mk7
awesome work mate, wish i had the expertise to do stuff like this.

That thing is gonna go for jesus too, uber fast.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
What exhaust manifold are you using?

Looks cool, can you run the std bonnet (with the vent blanked off and the catcher removed)
Good luck with the wiring, have you considered a aftermarket ecu?

Rb182cup+s2 rallye
mega love to do something like this myself certainly would shift a set of cams aswell and your away.

how much would a conversion like this cost?

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
Thanks for the support fella's makes battling the questionable weather conditions more sufferable. the exhaust is still on the to do list but I shall probably cut the last quarter inch off the manifold and weld it on angled down slightly then get a downpipe made up. haven't thought about an aftermarket ecu as the wiring doesn't look too ticky (I've said it now haven't I:eek: ) and yeah i'm having to cut a little bit of bonnet bracing out etc.

So far I reckon I've put about £2k into the car but that includes the valver (£500) and the 172 Breaker (£800).

Got the v-belt with no power steering (personal choice) or a/c sorted. Thanks wayne

11082007133.jpg

11082007135.jpg

what bracket and belt are you are using with the valver alternator?

picked up my engine yesterday but didnt come with an alternator attached (and the lad had cut the aux belt off when removing the engine!!) so gonna use the one off the valver like yourself

has anyone looked into the ktec decat for the 172? any chances this could work on the conversion and act as a downpipe and decat in one?

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
Further progress report. Spent a couple of evenings on the wiring and it doesn't seem to be too much of an involved job. I've got the majority done, it turns over and if we had the ecu back from decoding I think it should run.

27082007155.jpg