ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another 1.8 16v cliosport conversion

M

mini-valver

Stunning again boys! My door cards came yesterday, bit of a gutter that yours dont fit the doors!

Can you PM me some details about the roof? Price, who made it etc!

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
Hi there everyone we're back again, sorry if we've not answered any questions at the mo but it's been a mad old week. This weekend we started off with the door glasses, sounds simple enough but i found ways to over complicate the whole affair. First off I had to cut down the standard plastic windows.

270920081185.jpg

Next, since we're bonding them to the surface of the doors i needed to put a black boorder on the windows so i sourced some window etch primer and some fine lining tape and got artistic Lol.

270920081186.jpg

270920081187.jpg

270920081188.jpg

270920081189.jpg

With that done we headed for the garage and mask up everything we didn't want the glue covering (although that turned out to be pretty much in vein).

270920081190.jpg

270920081191.jpg

And in goes the window...

270920081192.jpg

280920081196.jpg

280920081197.jpg

With that drying nicely in the supprisingly hot sun we turned our attentions to the bumpers etc which took a lot of messing about to get the gaps anywhere near but it was worth it I think.

280920081203.jpg

280920081202.jpg

280920081208.jpg

280920081209.jpg

280920081207.jpg

Now the car is looking scary complete we've set about fitting the air filter now that our hose has arrived.

280920081205.jpg

Not done for the day but I thought i'd post early so it's not such a massive post later.

280920081198.jpg

280920081200.jpg

Cheers for looking

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
Well we've been down the garage again and made a very small step forward.
First thing we did was finished fitting the air filter, still needs properly restraining, but now the idle air control is now piped up

280920081225.jpg

280920081227.jpg

Next we got the bonnet down the garage which was quite difficult since the nissan ran out of MOT.

280920081215.jpg

280920081214.jpg

280920081221.jpg

We painted and fitted the hinges and marked out where we need to cut to get the bonnet to shut, but thats a job for another day, but its looking almost there now but there is still a lot of little problems to sort.

Mk1 Clio F4R'd
the rear looks really squashed and more narrow than it should do. :S

windows look good though!

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
looking better and better... no plans to take this model into production then lol? (oh how we all wish renault would take lessons from you guys). for some reason i agree with the raise the back slightly comment though...

all in all something to be very proud of

Ph1 172 + Combo van
wow the end is in sight i think!

everything looks so neat everywhere on the car. precision build. hats off to you guys!

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
Cheers fella's for all the nice comments. We know about the ride height but we're still a little undecided about what to do about it, the car was lowered by 50mm when we bought it (many moons ago) but we could only find 35mm springs at the time. I'm tempted to sell those and drop the front more now i know where to get them from but Moo's not sure if it might be better to raise the rear instead.

Don't know about the rear track though, it's a standard valver rear beam and the wheels have the right offset so:S

C

Clio1.6Rxe

I dont want to say it but that looks sick! Those back wheels look very nice under those arches:D

M

mini-valver

Awesome lads! Lower the front more, f**k raising the rear!!!

Love this car!

EP3 Civic Type R
lol he likes to go round telling everyone on here to lower there cars to un-driveable states! ;)

As for this project... awesome, absolutely awesome. It's a credit to you!

LY 182
mega jealous,,, all cars should be like this by law

im interested as to what the handlings going to be like, i can see it being a bit of a handfull having no weight in it,, seeing as downforce isn't going to be a strong point

that said all the weight that is there is very low down in the car so low centre of gravity

either way its a weapon,, well done fellas

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
LOL, lack of weight will only improve things...it might have less mass pushing down on each corner, but each tyre contact patch has correspondingly less work to do in controlling and changing the direction of the body.

Win all round really - if it's set-up well, it will be almost unbeatable on a track I reckon.

What's the target/estimated completion weight going to be? Got to be sub 700kgs? Maybe even close to 600kgs?

C

Clio1.6Rxe

LOL, lack of weight will only improve things...it might have less mass pushing down on each corner, but each tyre contact patch has correspondingly less work to do in controlling and changing the direction of the body.

Win all round really - if it's set-up well, it will be almost unbeatable on a track I reckon.

What's the target/estimated completion weight going to be? Got to be sub 700kgs? Maybe even close to 600kgs?
if it starts sliding though itll flip like on the vid thts floating about...

15" wheels for optimum grip imo

LY 182
i see what you are saying mate, i still think its going to be a handfull.

i've heard it things like lighter the car the better just look at f1 cars etc..

but you got to remember a formula 1 car has about 2 clios worth of downforce acting on it

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
i see what you are saying mate, i still think its going to be a handfull.

i've heard it things like lighter the car the better just look at f1 cars etc..

but you got to remember a formula 1 car has about 2 clios worth of downforce acting on it

How much downforce does a 460kgs Caterham generate? :rasp:

The only thing that'll upset this car I think would be if the centre of gravity was too high...but with a carbon roof, glassfibre doors and plastic windows that's never going to be a problem.

Surely its c of g would be be at bumpstrip level, maybe even lower. In which case they've basically built a 170bhp go kart :approve:

Ph1 172 + Combo van
centre of gravity on an f1 car is probally 3 inches if the floor lol.

its not an f1 car though its a clio and its probally the best it could be. would still dominate some cars round a track. awesome i think

ValverInBits
i farking love this. That bumper was well worth spending time over and the tailgate looks awesome.
Well done on a proper job boys.

M

mini-valver

Awesome lads! Lower the front more, f**k raising the rear!!!

Love this car!

This cars about drivability not looks.

lol he likes to go round telling everyone on here to lower there cars to un-driveable states! ;)

As for this project... awesome, absolutely awesome. It's a credit to you!

It's got no weight in it and its a track car. Lowers the centre of gravity and seeing as theres no speedhumps on track, not an issue ;)

E92 M3 Monte Carlo

no way will it be that light there about 800kg fully stripped so i'd say about 750

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

no way will it be that light there about 800kg fully stripped so i'd say about 750

Really?

My 172 Cup is 900 kgs with metal doors, a metal roof, glass windows, and loads of crap still in it including one of the original front seats and lots of soundproofing. If I went to the same extremes as has been done on this project, there's at least another 100 kgs there to be saved for me...which would put me in my phase 2 mark 2 Clio 172 Cup at around 800 kgs or so.

I thought this generation of Clio was around 150 kgs lighter than mine to start with...which should make this in the region of 650kgs with all that's been done to it.

Got to get it weighed when it's done guys!

White R26/Stripped Valver
Reminds me of my valver, love it. What a project car should look like. Keep up the good work, will be very interested to know how much this weighs.