ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another 1.8 16v cliosport conversion

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
merc workshop jay...

i attended the sw valver meet and had a good look over this and chatted with these 2 lovely boys and can truly say i was well taken back with this car, absolutely awesome, would easily give the 172 for this anyday

nice to meet you guys too

306 GTI-6
WOW. I have just read the whole thread, start to finish, amazing job and you must be so proud of what you have achieved. A proper project, well done.

Monaco 172 + mk1 RSi
just read this for the first time from start to finish without stopping lol it is such an amazing thread lol love it

jamie

EPIC...

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
Right! This is without a doubt going to be a controversial post but i'm making it anyway because a lot of you are very interested. Wednesday Dodgy Nick from work who races formula 2 stock cars did me a favour and generously brought in his very accurate corner weighting scale set.

The car was then jacked up with a great deal of interest from everyone else and even a sweep being taken on what it would weigh in at.

140120091392.jpg

140120091393.jpg

The results are as follows... and i suspect there will be a fair few who will question the result etc but this is a FACT and is accurately weighed.

140120091395.jpg

140120091394.jpg

So thats it then, the clio weighs in at 794kg that in our opinion is damn good going for a fully caged car which still has a heater, decent dash and a standard sized fuel tank.

Cheers for looking as always

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
It seems from scanning the web that standard weight is between 980 & 1030kg so we've managed to drop around 200kg and that obviously includes the addition of a 30kg cage and the floor bars for the seats so we're pretty chuffed with the outcome.
:D:D:D

And it is a bit of a devil to drive:evil:

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
...the only thing we leave to Renaults quality control...
Sorry, this'll take some explaining. As you know from the thread we have rebuild, modified, overhauled or replaced almost every component on this car, apart from the engine which we thought being a 45k mile year 2000 engine would be ok for a while at least.
But since the car has been on the road we've had our concerns about the engine. On its first long distance trip it blew the breather hose off the cam cover and seemed to spew out a lot more oil than we would have expected. But we dug a big hole and buried our heads in it.
But we've also noticed that the exhaust manifold seemed to be smoking alot, but we continued with our heads in the sand and put that down to the exhaust wrap.
But then yesterday while hacking through Milton Keynes we overtook a Seat Leon FR, looked in the mirror... nothing but blue smoke, then it started coming in the cabin from the heater vents.
So we pulled over to check out the situation, to find that an exessive amound of oil pressure had blown the gasket between the cam cover and inlet manifold throwing oil onto the exhaust manifold and it had also breathed a lot of oil into the cylinders.
So as we had suspected for a while we think a rebuild is in order.
But on the plus side it'll remove a big question mark over a large component in the car.

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
Ah bugger, atleast you've got a good enough reason to give the engine a rebuild now. Are you going to add some performance goodies or just keep it standard?

Clio Cup/GSXR 600
High comp pistons, rods, cams etc while its being rebuilt? Make it a tad quicker (not that it needs to be mind)

M

mini-valver

Sounds like you have a blocked crank breather and its pressurising the head. Has the F4R got a crankcase breather set-up? My Nova used to do exactly this and spit oil all over the bulkhead.

ITB'd MK1
Sounds like you have a blocked crank breather and its pressurising the head. Has the F4R got a crankcase breather set-up? My Nova used to do exactly this and spit oil all over the bulkhead.

no, there's nothing from the block except up into the head. Working on it for ours, not quite decided on the details though

M

mini-valver

Serious? Thats why I have the -10 breather in my coilpack/brather plate thing then. -6 hole for the entire engine? Nice!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Thats pretty crap mate, especially the timing given that the roads should be getting better soon. How long do you think its gonn atake to get it back out there? May as well tweak whilst your at it ;)

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
it's fair to say chris is in very high spirits even with what has happened, had a laugh about it on the phone

good luck with the rebuild mate and you know where i am if you need anything :)

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
Well my fevered mind has been spinning away at an alarming rate since the motor let go and i'm definately seeing this as an oppotunity now. So give me a couple of months to get my pennies together and i think this thread will continue to make interesting reading. :)

ValverInBits
Well my fevered mind has been spinning away at an alarming rate since the motor let go and i'm definately seeing this as an oppotunity now. So give me a couple of months to get my pennies together and i think this thread will continue to make interesting reading. :)

this is epic good news