ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another 1.8 16v cliosport conversion

Ph1 172 + Combo van
PMSL! this is for a different thread! But i'm just going by another thread in the project section where a guy said that his air feed was to be as high up the front as possible so the air would be colder.
i read that too. it does make sense tbh.

your car though so if you want it looking factory-ish with the caf in the fog then go for it. will still be awesome.:)

172 Race Car
Ive been told by a very reputable tuner that in the summer the temperature at headlight level can be as much as 10 degrees lower than at road level due to the tarmac absorbing heat and radiating it. ie, heat haze

Megane Trophy #147
great read i wish i had the time/patience/money/skills to do this when is the next instalment? lol

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
As always thanks for all the comments, they always make it all seem more worthwhile.:)
So far this week hasn't been the most productive owing to Moo selling his VX, but we still managed to make some progress, tidying up the loose ends that have been bugging us for a bit now.
We started off by tidying up and fitting a few interior components we got from a scrappy last weekend.
We fitted a gloveobx lid:

251020081363.jpg

Also removed the headlight leveling from the under dash trim on the o/s and fitted that.

251020081362.jpg

Se also got a bit 'arts and crafts' on the foot rest with some grip tape.

251020081361.jpg

Also got a picture of the new fuse and relay b ox we forgot to take a picture of last time.

251020081364.jpg

We noticed, to beanie's despaire that we'd forgotten to fit the tow eye so the front bumper had to come off again.:mad:
We wanted the tow eye to be noticable but not just painted as that'll chip easily, so we looked through a car restorer catalogue and found a rubber coating dip kit, and here are the results:

251020081358.jpg

251020081359.jpg

Something we noticed and a couple of other people have is the car was sitting high at the front. So we got hold of some 55mm front lowering springs and set about fitting them today. Got them on in just under half an hour without using spring clamps :cool:
Not sure how much of a difference its made but I'm sure after some 'settling' and with a person in it it'll be close enough to level.

251020081357.jpg

I've managed to get my bonnet to work and have begun the reconstruction of the inside of the bonnet. Here is the plate that is to be fibreglassed and glued into the bonnet to get some structure and strength back in it.

251020081356.jpg

Cheers for looking as always and not long now:eek:

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
awesome, i would definately contemplate selling the 172 for this, i still haven't lost the mark 1 bug...i know people always say it but if you do come to sell in the future i would like to be considered

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
LOL, Cheers lads always good to hear people like the car. Really hoping to Mot the car either saturday coming or the one after depending.

Ph, If you'd have been at the garage with us lunch time i'd have sold you it for whatever you had on you Lol, but fortunately i'm over that headache now.

Sorry there's no updates today but progress at the moment is just sorting out little loose ends and not very picture worthy.

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
Well today the clio aquired this seasons must have accessory...

011120081374.jpg

011120081370.jpg

Then a quick phone call to the insurance company and i'm 394quid worse of but fully insured and able to drive it home legally!
Quickly checked all the levels and headed out onto the roads.
We only did a couple of miles owing to the fact that we can't tax it till the certifiacte of insurance arrives but its left a perminant mark in both of our existances and of anyone who saw or heard it.
It sounds beautiful and goes like you wouldn't believe, unfortunatly owing to saturday traffic and damp roads we feel we only got a taste of the performance that it can deliver!
We'll keep you posted:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

M

mini-valver

Awesome! Must be amazing driving it on the road with how far its come. Definately something to be proud of!

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
I've gotta be honest chaps this last push has totally cleaned me out I really don't have a penny this month. I'd love to go to a few events in the near future to show people before they loose interest but i just can't :S.

I have to say though that in my career i've driven some very fast cars but this thing is a whole different league!! So So Fast!!

Hopefully see you all soon guys

ValverInBits
I've gotta be honest chaps this last push has totally cleaned me out I really don't have a penny this month. I'd love to go to a few events in the near future to show people before they loose interest but i just can't :S.

I have to say though that in my career i've driven some very fast cars but this thing is a whole different league!! So So Fast!!

Hopefully see you all soon guys

awesome mate! Well done. Would a little video be in budget?? ;)

Slooooow Ass 1.2
Just read the whole thread and must say this is an amazin project.

Car looks amazin and blows my mind to think 2 fella's have done this btween them, truely amazion lads, keep it up!

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
awesome mate! Well done. Would a little video be in budget?? ;)

We need a speedo video. Need to borrow a mount?

I'd absolutely love to post up a speedo video (although it'd be a touch inaccurate as it tends to wheelspin in the corrent conditions) However, and this is killing me, i'm so skint i can't actually tax the car until payday so it's currently laid up in the garage waiting :cry::cry::cry::cry::quiet:

Is the engine standard?

Do we know what the car weighs?

The engine its self it's pretty much standard except from a lightened flywheel i had done while the gearbox was off. It's also got matched inlets and obviously the P/s and A/C pumps are long gone. The exhaust is straight through with only one box (very loud) as i's a 1992 it doesn't need a cat. I'm using a BMC air filter which probabaly helps too.

Don't know what it weighs yet but once it's taxed i'm going to get it weighed asap just to see:)

congratulations! nice work, gunna be sad to see this thread winding down.... i love it.

Must admit i'm a little shocked and sort of sad that it's coming to an end because although it'll obviously be tonnes of fun but all the problem solving etc was a big part of my life ,lol

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
Beaniemoo, If you can make the hour Journey to Surrey Rolling Road on Sat 31st Jan, you can have the readout for free.

I have been following this thread from the begining and would really love to see it, plus i'm sure you'd like to know what kind of bhp you have!

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
I'm in!!! Definately!!!! Be good to get it on the rollers as I really don't know a great deal about the engine's condition so it'd be good to have some insight.