ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another DS2500 fitting question

I've searched and found various things regarding fitting but I've still failed to remove the infamous squeaking/squealing.

Strangely I only seem to get the squealing/squeaking while the brakes aren't being applied. Once they've warmed up they start squealing and it's while I'm driving, once I brake the squeal disappears but once I lift off the brake pedal it comes back. All you can hear is "squeak...squeak...squeak". The brakes themselves seem to be working fine, very strong bite to them.

I've removed the shims and filed enough off the metal backing on the pad to allow about 1mm of play in the carrier, also tried greasing the the back of the pads. Any other solutions to this?

BMW M5 & E36
Was going to put it down to unevenly worn old discs, but that can't be the case with new ones. Did you remove enough material for them to slide loosely in the carrier or just so that they go in?

Was going to put it down to unevenly worn old discs, but that can't be the case with new ones. Did you remove enough material for them to slide loosely in the carrier or just so that they go in?

Yeah I've removed enough material off the backing plate to allow about 1mm of play in the carrier. I needed to take quite abit off as well.

Pass then. See if they get any better with a few more miles on them :)

Cheers anyway mate.

Yeah, I'll give them a few miles like you say and see how it goes, I can deal with the noise it's just I'm a little worried incase something maybe wrong, 1st time I've attempted to fit brakes lol.

I put copper grease on the back of the pads. Also found taking it out for a good "run" got rid of the noise.

there's the 406H - don't bother, and the 565H - correct one

Just checked the box and they are the 565H version.

The confusing thing is, when they're up to a decent temperature why they squeal while the brakes aren't being applied and when I do brake the squeal goes away lol.

Edit: Forgot to add, the squeal is coming from the drivers side.

BMW M135I
Just checked the box and they are the 565H version.

The confusing thing is, when they're up to a decent temperature why they squeal while the brakes aren't being applied and when I do brake the squeal goes away lol.

Edit: Forgot to add, the squeal is coming from the drivers side.

its exactly the same for me, EXACLTY the same, fred said its because they are race pads so accept this, when they are really warm when i drive over the moors its ok all the way, just the normal driving when they do the same as yours, im going to try copper grease and ill let you know after

Lionel Richie
file the ends down, remove the shims, check the pads are free to move in the caliper (ie they won't bind in when hot)

they are a race pad, so some noise may happen

its exactly the same for me, EXACLTY the same, fred said its because they are race pads so accept this, when they are really warm when i drive over the moors its ok all the way, just the normal driving when they do the same as yours, im going to try copper grease and ill let you know after

Strange isn't it? I've tried greasing mine to no avail, my biggest concern was something wasn't right, didn't fancy going for spirited drive then the brakes decide to give up completely lol.

file the ends down, remove the shims, check the pads are free to move in the caliper (ie they won't bind in when hot)

they are a race pad, so some noise may happen

I daren't take anymore off the metal backing plates on my pads because if I do, I'm pretty sure they'll start rattling in the carriers. Like I say I was just concerned something was wrong, I can deal with the squealing (turn my radio up) just wanted to make sure the brakes aren't just going to randomly fail on me.

Mine started off with a squeal but you just need to get a good few miles on them

I read your thread about these pads mate, I've had a few problems you had as well.

I took the car for abit of a blast today and it did take abit longer before they started squealing so hopefully it will gradually get better like you say.

Think I've sorted this now, I filed the edges of backing plate on the pads a little bit more and copper slipped the edges where I'd filed them down. Whether the squealing/squeaking will come back I don't know but for now everything seems to be ok.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Mine were filed down a LOT all round the backing plate edges on two of the pads, and a fair amount on the other two to fit properly and copper greased (thanks JMS :eek:) and they have never made any noise at all when not applied. Only a bit of squealing when cold AND applied, but that's expected of racing pads.

Golf GTD Mk7
strange this jon, shims are definately out? mine don't really squeel at all. only ever so slightly when slowing down to a stop ie. junction etc. but only at slow speeds. Never needed filling either, just removed the shims and they were fine.

they shouldn't squeel when not braking though :S

They should only squeel when warm really = expand when hot basically.

strange this jon, shims are definately out? mine don't really squeel at all. only ever so slightly when slowing down to a stop ie. junction etc. but only at slow speeds. Never needed filling either, just removed the shims and they were fine.

they shouldn't squeel when not braking though :S

They should only squeel when warm really = expand when hot basically.

Yeah it is strange, I really couldn't figure out why they were squealing with the brakes not applied. Yeah I removed the shims as soon as I removed the carriers from the hub. Like I say though since my last play with them, they seem to be fine. I do get a little bit of squealing once they're red hot now whilst the brakes are applied but that's to be expected.

Also I had to file abit off the backing plate that touches the caliper as the caliper wouldn't close properly. To be honest I shouldn't have expected anything else with this car, everything I do is never straight forward with it lol.

Who ever fitted the GreenStuff pads previously must have rammed them in because I had to knock them out with a hammer they were fitted that tight.

Golf GTD Mk7
Yeah it is strange, I really couldn't figure out why they were squealing with the brakes not applied. Yeah I removed the shims as soon as I removed the carriers from the hub. Like I say though since my last play with them, they seem to be fine. I do get a little bit of squealing once they're red hot now whilst the brakes are applied but that's to be expected.

Also I had to file abit off the backing plate that touches the caliper as the caliper wouldn't close properly. To be honest I shouldn't have expected anything else with this car, everything I do is never straight forward with it lol.

Who ever fitted the GreenStuff pads previously must have rammed them in because I had to knock them out with a hammer they were fitted that tight.

You mean the bit that touches the piston? :S that could be why it was squeeking, might not be completely flush. did you not push them back in to the caliper before putting the new pads in?

Mine were filed down a LOT all round the backing plate edges on two of the pads, and a fair amount on the other two to fit properly and copper greased (thanks JMS :eek:) and they have never made any noise at all when not applied. Only a bit of squealing when cold AND applied, but that's expected of racing pads.

Sounds similar to mine, I had to take alot off mine to allow the recommended amount of play in the carriers. I don't get why some needs loads taking off and others fit in with no problems at all :S

You mean the bit that touches the piston? :S that could be why it was squeeking, might not be completely flush. did you not push them back in to the caliper before putting the new pads in?

Nooo, it's hard to explain where I mean, if you look at the pads with the backing plate facing you, towards the top of the pad there is a slight chamfer, it was that I had to file down abit more. One second I'll try and find a picture

Where I've marked in the red rectangles is I had to file down slightly to allow the caliper to slide over the pads and yeah I pushed the piston as far back as it would go.

Attachments

• Pads.jpg
    Pads.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 118
  Golf GTD Mk7
hmmm, not sure it that would do much as the clip holds it in tight anyway? strange you had to do there though. so long as they're ok now that's the main thing. make sure you bed them in properly and you'll love them.

hmmm, not sure it that would do much as the clip holds it in tight anyway? strange you had to do there though. so long as they're ok now that's the main thing. make sure you bed them in properly and you'll love them.

Once I filed there though the caliper slid over easier though, oh well lol. Yeah I followed the instructions to another link you'd posted somewhere else about bedding brakes in (http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm) and now I'm just wearing them in. Even now I can tell a massive difference.

Thanks for the advise though mate :)

Golf GTD Mk7
glad you like them. they've kept getting better for me so far. see how they fare at oulton next month

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
Now getting major brake squeeling so wondering if my mechanic didn't remove the shims? He did say that some filing was required so not sure? Also get slight squeel after brakes released when hot so assume the pads are too tight?

E39 M5 & Corsa track
the ds2500 isnt really a "racing pad" its a fast road compound. you can fit them with the shims still and that way you dont get the squeel.

Golf GTD Mk7
REMOVE the shims and file enough so you have 1 - 1.5mm clearence between pad and carrier

the end

That's what I have done mate. chill your beans ;) Still squeeking though. Although could do with putting a bit of CG on them since I removed/filled them down.