ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone gone from a 172 to a Williams

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine

Or vice versa I suppose.

For various reasons Im probably going to get rid of the 172 next year. Im looking at getting something cheaper that I can afford to modify. The Williams is one of the options Im looking at (another possible is a valver with a 2.0 unit which I could really go to town on...).

So Im after the opinions of people who have owned both. I know the older car will be dearer to run simply because of the age of the car and the components. But, in terms of performance, mpg, practicality (if anyone actually cares about that sort of thing) how do the two compare?

Any other comparisons between the two much appreciated.

cheers

Rick

CLIO 197 Ultra red

im thinking of selling my 182 next year for a williams. when the summer comes i wont use the car so might as well get something cheaper

I would have a willaims or a valver over a 172 any day its alot more of that raw driving experience, no fancy esp etc, just you and the car sorta thing

If you want something cheaper to modify then can i suggest an S14 Silvia (200sx). The f7r of the Williams is not cheap to tune to a high level. Bear in mind:

Car: 3 to 4k for a car of between 50k and 90k depending on condition.

Things that might need doing: allow £500 to £1000 (if you want it average, make it £2000 to £3000 if you want it spotless). Likely jobs: Wheel refurb?, respray, part or all?, dent removal?, New shocks?, cam belt?, New springs? Drive shaft problems? etc etc. All common.

Tuning: Maybe looking at around 3k to 4.5k to get it rebuilt and a decent level of tune (depends how far you go).

Youve spent 10k just to get a Williams tuned and in good condition. Then you have to maintain it. This can be expensive too, Ask the_Jesus about this, everything on his that could be replaced has been.

So you see its not the cheapest car to have in good condition. I think Martin has spent 9k on his in total in 18 months or something (i assume this is including the car, Martin?).

I think if you want a fast car youd be better off sticking with the 172 and modifying that. Id only go for a Williams if ownership appeal is of interest to you (ie are you an enthusiast), or you dont mind a bit of ball ache.

[Edited by Willy Williams on 26 December 2004 at 9:55pm]

I went from a williams to a cup and Ive got to say that I regret getting rid of the williams.Dont get me wrong,I love my cup but the williams just had something about it.Performance wise,I cant really feel much difference between the 2 but as Lunner says,the williams is a raw driving experience even compared to the cup,plus you do get a lot of attention in the williams.In an ideal world,Id have a cup and a williams.Practicality wise,the cup seems to drink more fuel than the williams but I dont know if thats because you seem to have to work the cup harder to get the best performance out of it.But i dont think anyone would regret getting a williams regardless of what car theyre trading from.

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine

Cheers for your reply Willy Williams (great name!). Ive kind of confused the issue in my original post. If I got a Williams then Id be inclined to keep it mostly standard. However, if I could pick up a 2.0 valver then thered be a bit more scope for midifications.

But I take your point. It could be an expensive choice. My problem is that I have a tendancy to modify cars! The 172 is expensive enough to insure as it is. All the mods that I would like the do to the 172 would make it impractical to insure.

Ill have a look at the 200sx and a couple of others and see whats best.

Mondeo STTDCI

Id keep the 172. I was once tempted by Willy ownership but itd get silly to get it how Id want it. Completely mint and standard apart from mild tuning doesnt come cheap.

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Quote: Originally posted by Willy Williams on 26 December 2004

If you want something cheaper to modify then can i suggest an S14 Silvia (200sx). The f7r of the Williams is not cheap to tune to a high level. Bear in mind:

Things that might need doing: allow £500 to £1000 (if you want it average, make it £2000 to £3000 if you want it spotless). Likely jobs: Wheel refurb?, respray, part or all?, dent removal?, New shocks?, cam belt?, New springs? Drive shaft problems? etc etc. All common.

Tuning: Maybe looking at around 3k to 4.5k to get it rebuilt and a decent level of tune (depends how far you go).

Youve spent 10k just to get a Williams tuned and in good condition. Then you have to maintain it. This can be expensive too, Ask the_Jesus about this, everything on his that could be replaced has been.

So you see its not the cheapest car to have in good condition. I think Martin has spent 9k on his in total in 18 months or something (i assume this is including the car, Martin?).

I think if you want a fast car youd be better off sticking with the 172 and modifying that. Id only go for a Williams if ownership appeal is of interest to you (ie are you an enthusiast), or you dont mind a bit of ball ache.

No!:eek: Thats just money spent on it...

I have got both, and i prefer the 2.0ltr Valver over the 172 & 182, its just we wanted newness/warranty/piece of mind etc from the 182 hence were selling the Hybrid & 172 and keeping the 182.

If it was totally my choice and i was single id keep the Hybrid for sure and put more money into that, i.e turbo & respray then it would be spot on :D

I have never driven a Williams so this is just from my own experiance of Willy power.

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

What do you prefer about the hybrid Smokey?? Ive had my williams a while now and love the way it drives but although Ive been on plenty of drives etc with 172/182s I ve never actually got behind the wheels of one.....the 172s look a bit soggy round the corners surely the 182 has put that right?

Trophy

Quote: Originally posted by Daz on 26 December 2004

Mat did.. (well, 172 Cup)

Yeah,

I had to sell my Cup to fund a house purchase but have always preferred the look and feel of the mk1s, if i had hindsight i would have kept my 2.0 valver but do love my Willy.

Mat.

Massey6465 & saxo1.1

I actually find my Willy very cheap to run:)oops:)I brought it for its low running cost,well much lower than the skooby it replaced. 47k when I got her now59k and nothing has gone wrong yet,nothing major anyway.Economy seems excellent considering the performance 2.Best car ive ever had.

eves

ClioSport Club Member
  An old banger!

Quote: Originally posted by Little Newms on 26 December 2004

Eves did........ He had a willy (he he) but then got a 172, ask him : )
your right i did!!

i sold my williams3 in September to get a 172 mkII , my williams waas expensive to run, used to drink much more fuel then my current car, also was prone to more things going wrong with as i do alot of motorway driving.

i used to love the attention i used to get in my old car though just because it was different and you dont tend to see them around!

But personally im glad i sold the williams and moved onto something id say is more practical, has a warranty and just feels smoother and newer.....

Good luck though dude, but id say keep the 172!

Eves

yup, tis expensive, hopefully I can afford to keep it and get some decent use out of it. id still take it over a 172 anyday though, I went from a car that cost me over 10k to the Williams and have been unlucky with it. i could go out and get a 172, but there was 2 at the same place I bought my car, 1 of which was the exclusive and a silver one, but they didnt stand out as anything special. like Willy says, it could end up costing a fortune, so your better being a fan of the car otherwise it could end up being a chore to own.

Quote: Originally posted by Martin. on 26 December 2004

No!:eek: Thats just money spent on it...

Jesus man, you got real Gold wheels?

williams and trophy

lol....never really driven either a 172/cup or 182.......but then again theres only 1 or 2 that seem to stand out a little from the others....

like said earlier......ive spent plenty of time on the roads, in front following and at the side of em......but never really driven 1.......

and as far as spending £££££££££££££s on tuning..........tbh i dont really think u need to, a few choice mods will have a willy up there with the supposed lot faster more exotic machinery...........

again spending money on cars comes into play lol........thing is tho, when they start costin, most ppl replace evrything then sell.....so the buyer gets a minter of a motor.....and the seller goes n buys the next weapon, that will probs need money spendin on it too............always regrettin sellin the williams........

u listenin jon???????? lol

do not sell.

id go for a ph1/2 clio any day of the week tbh.........the valvers curves n scoops jus look so much better than the rounded face of the newer clios, and driving the 1s.....is there a more informative drive around??..........u can feel exactly what the cars doing and you are very much involved in what happens next lol

lol, I hear ya pal, guess I can always see how it goes, tbh Im not sure if I can afford to get rid at the moment anyway. may as well throw more money at it and try and beat the one in front eh? ;)

I went from a 172 cup to a Williams (not entirely by choice :oops:) and although I loved the Cup and its a great car I find my Williams just a little bit more special. I just gives me a greater sense of pride to own.

BMW 320d Sport

Id have the Willy any day, but then I like the old Clios anyway, and dont like the new shape really at all, so I would say that.

I can offer some advice on a 200SX though. Dont buy cheap. Get one that is absolutely tip top to start off with and tuning will be a piece of piss.

I have a valver and a 172. Overall i prefer the 172 just because it feels newer and more refined. Saying that i do leave it on the drive and take the valver sometimes. I think the valver is a more involved drive.

I guess there will be times you wish you had kept your old car and times your glad you didnt.