ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Apparently i am destroying my macbook battery

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Just been told that because i use my macbook on mains most of the time i am destroying the battery, and apparently my friend always removes his windows laptops battery when its plugged into the mains to save the battery. I was fairly sure that with li-ion batteries you didn't need to constantly discharge and recharge them to keep them in top performance but i understand they may require it a couple of times a month.

Is this a load of crap or true?

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
I have it installed, can't believe that in this day and age we still have to remove laptop batteries, thought some sort of technology would have been invented to stop this.

Cocunut battery says

5278 out of 5770 available

Charge it up and leave it on over night then run it dead and leave it for a few hours then start charging it again.

Now Sold :-(
My Macbook lived on the mains with the battery installed. Only taken off once or twice a week and never got below 20% before getting plugged back in.
Sold after 3 years with coconut battery still reporting the battery at over 90% efficient.

Not suggesting what has been posted is untrue but thats my personal experience.

Being plugged in all the time it'll be trickle charged all the time you use it, plus storing at max capacity decreases life too!

Best bet is to use it like a laptop, only charge it when needed!

With it being dangerous to discharge it, I dont think they're allowed to go to an unsafe voltage so this doesn't tend to happen (at least I think that's how it's done).

Polo + Micra
if the laptop trickle charges the battery all the time then that will kill the battery but that's a design flaw if it does.

My MacBook is 45 months old, had 607 loadcycles and has pretty much always been run on the mains. Its on charge every night too. Still 95% on capacity and lasts a decent time on battery. Im impressed its lasted nearly four years and the battery is still good - all the other laptops ive previously had (Dell/Sony/Toshiba/Samsung) have f*cked up battery wise after 12 months with them only lasting 20 min on a full charge. Mac are far more reliable and better built as expected.

I've tried that already. Didn't really make much difference tbh.

Mine seems to have slowed down a little too... (Any sort of "disc cleanup" apps that are decent?!)

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
its a load of rubbish that date back to nicle cadium batteries and poor charging systems. New ones cut off the battery charger once it is full. No doublt people will argue with my opinion.

Lozza-p

ClioSport Club Member
  BG FF 182
my mbp battery percentage seems to drop like a stone its really annoying

Lozza-p

ClioSport Club Member
  BG FF 182
my mbp battery percentage seems to drop like a stone its really annoying

clio
Li ion is much better than those of old. heat off the machine itself can exaserbate ..sp fail.. things

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
Li ion is much better than those of old. heat off the machine itself can exaserbate ..sp fail.. things
My li-ion drill battery restore everytime they're put in charge, which helps its battery life.

Just use it like you would anything else. If it doesn't need charging don't plug it in. You need to run the battery's right the way down.

Polo + Micra
My li-ion drill battery restore everytime they're put in charge, which helps its battery life.

Just use it like you would anything else. If it doesn't need charging don't plug it in. You need to run the battery's right the way down.

not with li-ion batteries. it's much better to charge them when half full.

they usually have a life of a 1000 charge cycles. so 1 0% to 100% charge is the same as 2 50% to 100% charges