ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Apple TV any good?

Bit the bullet, bought the ATV2 today.

Very nice. Just steamed some music to my amp, so easy to set up and use.

Love the iPhone and iPad remotes, looks geeky.

Just about to stream a movie to it, I swear the audio / video quality is better than Bluray.

Potentially stupid question time:

If I'm not using the online features (ie Youtube, renting movies etc) but just streaming content already on my iPad to the ATV, will this use my up my monthly internet bandwith quota?

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc
If i download a movie and fire it onto my ipad (possibly avi format etc) can i play this back over airplay? Or do i have to convert it to apples format?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Picked one of these up today.

Got it jailbroken using a blackberry cable (kindle one wouldn't work :S).

Plex won't install as its on ios4.3 :(

Got nitoTV and then XBMC installed. Only problem was I couldn't connect to my iMac to look for my media folders, seems its a problem lion has brought in. So downloaded (and paid for now) Playback and it streams lovely :)

Got the iplayer add on, any others worth having?

Also, any other JB software worth having?

I really want the full 4od catalogue but its only available via plex afaik.

Rav4
Picked one of these up today.

Got it jailbroken using a blackberry cable (kindle one wouldn't work :S).

Plex won't install as its on ios4.3 :(

Got nitoTV and then XBMC installed. Only problem was I couldn't connect to my iMac to look for my media folders, seems its a problem lion has brought in. So downloaded (and paid for now) Playback and it streams lovely :)

Got the iplayer add on, any others worth having?

Also, any other JB software worth having?

I really want the full 4od catalogue but its only available via plex afaik.

I have a jailbroken ATV2 too, using XBMC connected to my NAS, but I just don't find it intuitive enough for the people that use it at my house, plus it doesn't always behave.

Can you tell me more about "So downloaded (and paid for now) Playback and it streams lovely :)" what you bought and how you went about it?

Was thinking of going down the Plex way, but don't have a dedicated "server" for it.

Thanks,

G.

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
XBMC with the Iceflims add on is amazing.

You'll never have to use iTunes again.

Was thinking of going down the Plex way, but don't have a dedicated "server" for it.

No, it'll run fine on your desktop. Naturally you'll have to have your computer running. You're better off installing Icefilms on XBMC.

After playing with XBMC 6 months ago and having a few issues (crashing, slow load), I just use it in standard form.

A press of a button wakes my 'server' from the iPad/iPhone, I browse the film I want (350+) and hit play. It's rare I use ATV to browse.

The 'server' then shuts itself down after 15 minutes of the film ending.

4b7c8462.gif

I couldn't see any benefit to having XBMC over standard, unless I'm missing something?

Rav4
After playing with XBMC 6 months ago and having a few issues (crashing, slow load), I just use it in standard form.

A press of a button wakes my 'server' from the iPad/iPhone, I browse the film I want (350+) and hit play. It's rare I use ATV to browse.

The 'server' then shuts itself down after 15 minutes of the film ending.

4b7c8462.gif

I couldn't see any benefit to having XBMC over standard, unless I'm missing something?

I have 325 films in various formats such as .avi and so on. Are all yours MP4?

Rav4
Yeah, all .mp4 or .m4v.

I converted them all, and now only rip to those formats.

Means I can use them on the iPhone/iPad/ATV easily enough.

Ah, thought that would have been the case.

XBMC is for people who can't be arsed to change them all, a bit like me, but by having them as you have saves a whole world of pain, I might need to start doing that then.

Do you use handbreak for it and if so, what settings?

Thanks for replying back to my queries,

G.

Ah, thought that would have been the case.

XBMC is for people who can't be arsed to change them all, a bit like me, but by having them as you have saves a whole world of pain, I might need to start doing that then.

Do you use handbreak for it and if so, what settings?

Thanks for replying back to my queries,

G.

Yeah I used handbrake to convert all files from .vob or .avi etc.

Takes about 15mins a film iirc. Just add 20-30 films to a queue and run overnight.

I use the standard 'ATV2' settings, works well for SD and HD movies, good file size too.

I then use MetaX to tag the files with; HD Icon (nice little touch which shows up when browsing), age certificate, genre, artwork, description.

It took weeks to sort originally, but now it's easy to keep on top of.

There's more chance of Britney performing oral under my desk before lunch than there is of me converting everything I already have.

Rav4
Yeah I used handbrake to convert all files from .vob or .avi etc.

Takes about 15mins a film iirc. Just add 20-30 films to a queue and run overnight.

I use the standard 'ATV2' settings, works well for SD and HD movies, good file size too.

I then use MetaX to tag the files with; HD Icon (nice little touch which shows up when browsing), age certificate, genre, artwork, description.

It took weeks to sort originally, but now it's easy to keep on top of.

Thank you, very helpful. A lot of work though. :(

Rav4
There's more chance of Britney performing oral under my desk before lunch than there is of me converting everything I already have.

Exactly, it's about time that they open up the blasted thing. We should not be forced to choose what format to use. :(

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Anyone using plex on 4.3 needs to use the experimental build.

DISCLAIMER:

This is a pre-release of the fix that you are waiting for. B0bben just became father for the second time and is a wee-bit busy, I have built a package that works for me on 4.4 firmware. BUT I wouldn't be surprised if it crashed for a lot of people. Don't try this package if you do not know how to downgrade and upgrade manually with apt-get. MMMKEY?

Anyway, here we go: http://home.hieta.se...application.deb

wget http://home.hieta.se/~tru/plex-atv/pre-builds/PLEX.frapplication.deb ; dpkg -i PLEX.frapplication.deb

0.8.2.pre-release. Please report success or failure.

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
The advantage of XBMC for me is that there is a good iPlayer plugin and if I want to watch something for free I can use Icefilms. That way I don't have to bother downloading something, then converting it to MP4.

Also XBMC supports UPNP so if I do want to stream something I can use PS3 Media Streamer to transcode it on the fly.

MK2 PH2 1.2 16V
I might finally give in and buy one this weekend. Can XBMC find your networked drives over wifi then?

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc
Its a joke that the Apple TV doesnt play all formats as standard however with the XBMC running on it, its a great program.

I have a little netbook that is on 24/7 and I use as the server in the house for downloading movies, controlling heating lights etc that is linked to the iphone/ipad which are all linked to the apple TV. My next step is to install a NAS for more space

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Its a joke that the Apple TV doesnt play all formats as standard however with the XBMC running on it, its a great program.

I have a little netbook that is on 24/7 and I use as the server in the house for downloading movies, controlling heating lights etc that is linked to the iphone/ipad which are all linked to the apple TV. My next step is to install a NAS for more space

isnt really a joke! its meant for itunes content which is all in one format.

The advantage of XBMC for me is that there is a good iPlayer plugin and if I want to watch something for free I can use Icefilms.

I know it's called IceFilms, but can you get TV shows too?

I may re-JB mine just for this. I'm happy with my movie set up through iTunes, but TV shows would be something I'd use.

Citroen DS3 DSport
I use XBMC on my ATV2 and have no issues with it. Fantastic way to catalogue, browse and play all of my media files via my NAS.

Rav4
I use XBMC on my ATV2 and have no issues with it. Fantastic way to catalogue, browse and play all of my media files via my NAS.

Do you not find it a bit sticky somewhat and maybe not intuitive enough? What skin are you using?

Thanks,

G.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Has someone written a XMBC skin that looks like the ATV interface? because that would be cool.

hmm...

I have a Mac Mini connected to my TV, which is hooked unto an external HD with all my iTunes music & media.

If I want to play a new podcast/music/video/whatever I have to obviously do it through the Mac Mini (via my Macbook Air). This is ball achey but works well enough.

I want a solution where I don't have to bother with the Mac Mini and can hook my iTunes media up to somewhere else (thinking Airport Extreme) - But it must be able to update the podcasts and not just let them sit there, festering.

Then I'd access it all with an Apple TV. (there, not completely off topic)

Would that work? Any ideas?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone using plex on 4.3 needs to use the experimental build.

Hmm, will have a play tomorrow, cheers :)

The advantage of XBMC for me is that there is a good iPlayer plugin and if I want to watch something for free I can use Icefilms. That way I don't have to bother downloading something, then converting it to MP4.

Seriously? You think that plugin is good? It works most of the time but is crap to browse. The plex one is nicer

I have a jailbroken ATV2 too, using XBMC connected to my NAS, but I just don't find it intuitive enough for the people that use it at my house, plus it doesn't always behave.

Can you tell me more about "So downloaded (and paid for now) Playback and it streams lovely :)" what you bought and how you went about it?

Thanks,

G.

Google Playback, lets you stream using UPNP to your ATV2. Install it, tell it what files to share and XBMC will pick it up straight away.

Its free for up to 30mins streaming, then £10 to unlock it.

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
Seriously? You think that plugin is good? It works most of the time but is crap to browse.

Oh I agree, but the misses mistakenly upgraded to 4.3 and Plex won't work. Might try that *.deb file now though, see if it works.

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
Google Playback, lets you stream using UPNP to your ATV2. Install it, tell it what files to share and XBMC will pick it up straight away.

Its free for up to 30mins streaming, then £10 to unlock it.

PS3 Media Server does a great job and is completely free. Works on PC and Mac.

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
I can't get Plex working at all, even following the instructions for 4.3. I may attempt to restore and re-jailbreak it tomorrow.

Did you get it working for you jenic?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I can't get Plex working at all, even following the instructions for 4.3. I may attempt to restore and re-jailbreak it tomorrow.

Did you get it working for you jenic?

Going to have a play tomorrow, not even sure how to install it, did you ssh it in?

Got a link to the guide?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Just tried the guide, an plex still doesn't work on mine.

Think its because I've been messing around with it before, so either need to uninstall whats install or ideally re JB it from scratch.

But i'll wait for someone in that thread to confirm it does indeed work first