ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Apple's Device Limitations

Audi S1
Hi all,

I was wondering whether anyone could clear this up for me.

My boss has just bought a couple of Apple iPads for the business to "loan" out for testing. They do not have an Apple account or synchronised to anyone's iTunes as of yet. Basically they're standalone units at the moment. However once they start getting loaned out people are going to want to download apps ect... Therefore they're going to be plugged into someone iTunes.

Do Apple have any limitations behind this. I know that there's limitations of 5 devices, is that per unit or is that per iTunes?

If it's per unit, we're going to have to relay on our users "de-authorising" the iPad from there iTunes and restoring the device...

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ronnie

As far as I know, the device can only be loaded to one iTunes account, if it's plugged in to someone elses, it wipes their data and loads on the new persons.

Make a company iTunes account. Don't assign a credit card (Google how to set up without one) and then they can only download free apps or if someone buys a voucher and tops it up.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
There arent any limitations on ios devices as far as i can see. Computers yes, but ios devices no.

Audi S1
Thanks - that cleared that one up.

It's always the way, the company goes out and spends money without asking for people opinions and then it gets fobbed off on the IT team.

I honestly can't see why they've bought them. Can someone list a few good reasons why a business "needs" them? Our users have a laptop and a Blackberry.

I can list reasons why my company needs them...

We have iPad apps for our publications. We publish iPad and iPhone user and macWorld so would be mad not to. We are given them by the review teams once they've finished.

I also play my presentations on them now as it kills two birds with one stone when explaining what we can provide for clients.

Polo + Micra
There arent any limitations on ios devices as far as i can see. Computers yes, but ios devices no.

computers really? software restrictions maybe but that's down to the development of said software

Polo + Micra
What are you talking about. Read the first post dumbo.

from i gather he was asking if he would have syncing problems brought about by people plugging his ipads into their itunes (itunes is software iirc)

so the limitation would either be with the ipad or itunes and being as you said there is no limitations with ios devices it could possibly occur with itunes.

so the computer would never be the limitation or is this wrong?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
READ THE F*CKING FIRST POST.

We are talking about installing app's using one account on multiple devices.

Polo + Micra
READ THE F*CKING FIRST POST.

We are talking about installing app's using one account on multiple devices.

not what i got tbh looks like multiple non registered devices being connected to multiple personal accounts.

but i was getting at how a computer would be the limitation? like you posted (couldn't give a flying f**k about ipads and itunes)

Citroen DS3 DSport
not what i got tbh looks like multiple non registered devices being connected to multiple personal accounts.

That's exactly how I read it. No limitation on how many iTunes accounts a iPad can be used with but it will only ever sync with one installation of iTunes at a time. When used on another computer all data will be erased and it will be configured as a new device.