ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ariel Atom 500bhp V8 900bhp/ton

Clio 172 cup
coming soon..............................:hail:

ariel-atom-500-v8-inw.jpg

Meg R26 + Mk4 GTTDI
Uncontrolable comes to mind?

Be able to put all that power?

Would be one hell of an experience to drive though

Clio 172 cup
sorry i was wrong its going to be 1000bhp/tonne. lol
its being kept at 500kg now and the v8 will be supercharged for 500bhp

to put this in context a bugatti veryon has a 512bhp/tonne ratio

this is likely to be the fastest production car in the world..................................................if it can actually put the power down!! lol

Clio 172 cup
running 575 section R888's on the rear? ha ha

exactly, not 100% sure this will actually work, to say modern F1 cars have 1200bhp/tonne and a huge amount more rubber and aero downforce (well maybe not this year).... i wonder how many days of wind tunnel testing this has had by its 7 staff that work at Atom

Lionel Richie
is that using the same RST V8 from that caterham prototype, twin supercharged 2.4/2.6 hyabusa based lump IIRC

182 Trophy
is that using the same RST V8 from that caterham prototype, twin supercharged 2.4/2.6 hyabusa based lump IIRC

thats the 2.6 v8 aint it, 2 busa lumps bolted together basicly
and a v8 that revs to around 9000rpm i believe

Someone mentioned downforce - it has two massive wings FFS.

Sure to be a monster, and not for your average driver, but in thew right hands...

Golf R soon...
Ariel has announced the latest version of the Atom – the Ariel Atom 500, powered by a small V8 engine.

With over 500bhp in a 500kilo package the Atom 500 will boast one of the highest power to weight ratios ever for a production car.

The Atom will have over 1000bhp per tonne (compared to a Bugatti Veyron’s 521bhp/tonne) and will be built in limited numbers.

The 500 started life as a one off special project with RS Developments in 2007 and features the Russell Savory designed 2.4 litre V8 engine coupled to a 6 speed sequential Sadev gearbox.

Developing over 500bhp at 10,000rpm the supercharged engine features all alloy construction, 5 valves per cylinder and a dry sump.

The gearbox will have flatshift capability, a paddle gearchange with manual override as well as launch and traction controls.

The new car is recognisable by twin rear intakes for intercoolers and will feature a unique colour scheme for chassis, wheels and bodywork combined with carbon fibre panels and carbon fibre aerofoils.

Other features will include chromemoly aerofoil wishbones, integrated function steering wheel, Alcon 4 pot caliper brakes and Dymag magnesium wheels.

Simon Saunders, Director of Ariel, said: ‘This is an interesting project for us and an experimental departure from what we normally produce.

'For a few customers the Atom 500 will be the ultimate expression of lightweight performance and represents the outer limits of what is achievable in a road registered car.

'We also use this sort of project to explore the possibilities of how we can improve our standard cars.

'The Honda engined production cars already combine all the elements that we want in an Atom and by pushing the envelope to these sorts of extremes we can further improve the breed.’

The Atom 500 will be produced in Somerset at the new Ariel factory with the first car available from Spring this year.

Prices have not yet been finalised and expect performance to be earth shattering…

^^

Thats a quote from pistonheads a while back.

I heard both the Caterham and Ariel Atom will cost £120,000+

I have one thing to say, atom - 172 cup, the twisties - bye bye atom ;)

That things much, rich mans play toy or what !

Turbos.
As someone said... bikes have a similar power-to-weight so don't see what people are worrying about.

Looks mental, but ugly IMO! For me getting something that mental as a road car is pointless, and its too fast for trackdays... so you may as well get a second hand Formula car for half the price instead.

172 Cup SOLD
thats the 2.6 v8 aint it, 2 busa lumps bolted together basicly
and a v8 that revs to around 9000rpm i believe

Yeah....in a round a bout kind of way.

Think powertec were the first to do this, the SR8 in the radical is similar to the above, but obviously benefits of proper grip on slicks and uber amounts of downforce.

I'd rather have the SR8 and half the price as well!!!

If I was going road legal, Atom 3 300 all the way!

Turbos.
The problem is more to do with that they are so fast compared to normal road cars that it is potentially quite dangerous because of the difference in speed. It would also be very annoying getting held up by people on every corner!

The problem is more to do with that they are so fast compared to normal road cars that it is potentially quite dangerous because of the difference in speed. It would also be very annoying getting held up by people on every corner!
Reminds me a bit of Norris's evo, that thing seems way too quick for most of the cars on the track .

Focus, GSXR1000 & R6
I work for Powertec and we do a V8 using 2 Busa's, we do a 2.6,2.8,.3.2 and 3.4! All rev to a minimum of 10500rpm, radical used the 2.6 when setting the lap record round nurburgring, hoping they will do it with something bigger soon! :D

The SR8s are quick but don't feel as quick as they really are as they are really smooth and no real kick of power, its just always there!

Although I would not mind the road legal SR8 a guy in Italy bought!

I was on track in an Exige last weekend and not hanging about. Mixing it up and overtaking as much as being overtaken. All of a sudden a Radical came past me like I was going backwards. My mate was spotting my mirrors for me and didn't even see this guy coming up. I was like "FFS thanks for the warning you cnut!" and he was like "I didn't see him!"

It was like that scene from Top Gun;

Wolfman: Thirty seconds. We went like this, he went like that. I said to Hollywood, "Where'd he go?" Hollywood says, "Where'd who go?!!!"
Hollywood: Yeah, and he's laughing at us, right on the radio, he's laughing at us.

ValverInBits
I work for Powertec and we do a V8 using 2 Busa's, we do a 2.6,2.8,.3.2 and 3.4! All rev to a minimum of 10500rpm, radical used the 2.6 when setting the lap record round nurburgring, hoping they will do it with something bigger soon! :D

The SR8s are quick but don't feel as quick as they really are as they are really smooth and no real kick of power, its just always there!

Although I would not mind the road legal SR8 a guy in Italy bought!

pics of said Busa based V8s :)

Focus, GSXR1000 & R6
This is one, not got any great photos on my phone, will get some next week!

Have a couple of vids of it on the rolling road but not sure hoe to post them!

Attachments

• m_powertec_V8.jpg
    m_powertec_V8.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 90
  Clio 172 cup
The fastest ever timed lap around the `ring` 6 minutes 55seconds in a radical

[youtube]4-ydoptH_bw[/youtube]