ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Aston Martin DB7 - Dealership Detail

Audi A4 AVANT 1.9TDi
Aston Martin DB7 Volante – Major Paint Correction Detail with Interior & Leather Care.

Job performed at a Dealership in Leics.

The car wasn't in the best of conditions; hazy and scratched paintwork, a grubby interior and a roof full of sand (life on the coast!). No way would the car fetch its full asking price in this condition, and, as the car was to sit under the spot lights in the showroom, it needed to look its best. *Cue WhiteDetails!*

Product

3M Fastcut+ (green)
3M Ultrafine (yellow)
3M Ultrafina (blue)
3M Glass Cleaner
303 Convertible Roof Cleaner
Autosol
AutoSmart G101
AutoSmart Tardis
AutoGlym Vinyl & Rubber Care
Blackfire All Finish Paint Protection
Dodo Juice Born To Be Mild
Elite Mild Grade Clay
Jeffs Werkstat Prime
LTT Auto Ultra Foam
Meguiars Hyper Wash
Meguiars Last Touch
Meguiars All Season Dressing
Zaino Z8 Grand Finale

Vehicle inspection:

DSC_0359.jpg

DSC_0360.jpg
DSC_0361.jpg

DSC_0362.jpg

Roof scrubbed with 303's cleaner:

DSC_0364.jpg

A bit of time spent with G101 and a soft bristled brush cleaning panel gaps, badges, petrol filler housing etc.

Usual two bucket wash carried out and then rinsed.

Clayed with Elite's Mild grade clay bar. Badly contaminated!

DSC_0366.jpg

There were a few areas where I had to reach for a medium grade clay bar; the car was covered in specks of paint (proved very difficult to remove! (either from its previous life, or, from the bodyshop where the front bumper was recently sprayed))

Once rinsed and dry, the car was parked up behind the scenes and prepped for polishing.

DSC_0367.jpg

Paint inspection...

DSC_0369.jpg

DSC_0370.jpg

Overspray on the N/S front wing:

DSC_0372.jpg

on the lower edge of the N/S A-Pillar:

DSC_0373.jpg

on the bonnet:

DSC_0396.jpg

and on the O/S corner of the rear bumper:

DSC_0406.jpg

Nice.

More defects:

DSC_0374.jpg

DSC_0375.jpg

Here's the freshly painted front bumper. Buffertrails:

DSC_0376.jpg

DSC_0377.jpg

DSC_0379.jpg
DSC_0380.jpg

My spec was to perform a major paint correction detail, add some engine-bay work, leather care and a full interior overhaul. Time allocated? Two days.

After testing, my go to polish and pad combination for the resprayed bonnet was the heavy cut yellow hexlogic pad, 3M Fast Cut+ and a blob of 3M Ultrafina to aid my work time.

Bonnet before:

DSC_0381.jpg

and after my first pass with the above approach:

DSC_0382.jpg

Too many marks remain; a second pass required.

DSC_0383.jpg

DSC_0385.jpg

It took three heavy hits of compounding to achieve the desired results. After refinement, we were left with:

DSC_0386.jpg

Continuing to work down the O/S with a variety of pads and polishes dependant on the paint quality and condition.

DSC_0391.jpg

DSC_0392.jpg

N/S front wing before/after:

DSC_0398.jpg

DSC_0399.jpg

Oops. Someone missed a bit at the bodyshop! DA sanding marks:

DSC_0397.jpg

Area had to be re-hit and refined to remove completely.

Although the initial compounding passes were making a world of difference, lots of panels had to be hit again and again as they were riddled with deep scratches.

Before (after first pass)

DSC_0404.jpg

After (four hits later (on the N/S rear wing))

DSC_0405.jpg

To complete – front and rear bumper, lower N/S door and the interior/engine-bay work.

DSC_0403-2.jpg

Front bumper before/after:

DSC_0408.jpg

DSC_0409.jpg

After rinsing the car down to remove polishing dust etc, the sun made a brief appearance:

DSC_0416.jpg

Back inside, it was blown dry with the black baron vehicle dryer. Wiped with IPA to remove polishing oils. Sealed with Blackfire's All Finish Paint Protection. Exhausts polished with Autosol and 00 wire-wool and engine bay dressed where appropriate.

Interior.

Leather deep cleaned with LTT's Auto Ultra Foam. (including centre console, doorcards etc). Plastics, pedals and mats cleaned with G101. Glass throughout with 3M Glass Cleaner.

Steering wheel caked up. Before/After

DSC_0417.jpg

DSC_0420.jpg

Trim polished with Jeffs Prime:

DSC_0421.jpg

Rinse water collected from the leather seats, carpets and trim.

DSC_0425.jpg

DSC_0424.jpg

DSC_0426.jpg

Finished.

DSC_0422.jpg

And after dodging the rain, in the showroom ready for sale:

DSC_0437-2.jpg

DSC_0431.jpg
DSC_0432.jpg

DSC_0439.jpg

DSC_0434.jpg

DSC_0429.jpg

Thanks to all those involved.

Jim

172 Cup
Looks Great!!:D

Some people dont appreciate the work that goes into detailing. Its amazing what value it can add to a car in a dealership too. I bet on a AM you could easily add 1k onto the value

Did you use a rotary or Orbital Buffer?

With the amount of correction required, definitely a rotary!

Interesting that the paint was so hard Jim... I had a DB7 (granted a Y reg so quite a lot older) and the paint was very soft. I swapped to the DA purely for ease as it had enough cut! I'll drag out some photos...

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Superb Jim bob!

That was actually quite bad condition wise, black showing it up even more.

Thanks for posting dude. Little Trophy in the back ground aswell?

Audi A4 AVANT 1.9TDi
Holy crap, JD, that bonnet looks ruined! Yeah, granted the bonnet had been sprayed so it wasn't factory, but the likes of the pic of the N/S rear wing, that was standard paint and was laughing at me! Crazy how much difference there can be between the same car and a couple of years in manufacture!

Gally, good spot! ;)

Cheers all.

Fantastic results, I'm surprised people let their cars get into such bad condition.

How did you get the leather restored so well?

Audi A4 AVANT 1.9TDi
Amazing work Jim, i am assuming some of that dirty water was picked up via help from the Vax 6131?

Nope, all hand work. The bucket was my rinse water for the cloth.

Leather was cleaned with LTT's Auto Ultra Foam and the wiped with a wet microfibre to hydrate.