ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Audi S3 Vs 172/182

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
HI GUYS MY MATE JUST SOLD HIS FIAT 20VALVE TURBO THE BEAST AND HAS BROUGHT A S3 (X REG) WITH FULL BLACK ELECTRIC HEATED SEATS WITH BOSE.ITS STANDARD NOT REMAPPED OR TWEAKED IN PERFORMANCE.I WAS WONDERING WOULD I STAND ANY CHANCE OFF KEEPING UP WITH HIM.

HE SAID HE WILL MURDER ME SO WOULD HE.HAS ANY 1 ELSE HAD ANY PLAYS WITH A S3 LET ME KNOW GUYS PLEASE WOULD THEY EAT A RS FOR BREAKFASTAS STANDARD:cool:

tiTTy & SV650
S3 has 4wd transmission losses and extra weight, so standard wont murder u and you'd beat it in the 'twisties'

Notorious said:
I was reffering to the comment that s3s hae 220 bhp so don't bother lol

chill.........me playin . id say the tt would be lighter as well;)
but the s3 r quicker than the clios 172/182

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
These threads make me laugh . ???? V 172/182 . I was just waiting for somebody to say that the clio would have it in the twisties ,lol .

Find yourself an S3 , get him to take the bait then eat his dust in the " twisties "

How come people think that the 172/182's are invincible ??

MRBILLYUK said:
These threads make me laugh . ???? V 172/182 . I was just waiting for somebody to say that the clio would have it in the twisties ,lol .

Find yourself an S3 , get him to take the bait then eat his dust in the " twisties "

cos we luv em.................:quiet: ;)

tiTTy & SV650
SOHROB said:
even in the twisties an s3 will be quicker unless its driven by a r****d

not so sure bout that. in the wet maybe.

early ones were 210brake, 1375Kg i.e. 153bhp / ton

fair play they got more torque... 0-60 is 6.8 secs on those so fook all in it there.

I'd say the clio would be more nimble to throw around the twisties / track.

Only place there's gonna be a significant gain in the S3s favour is on the straights.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
rory182 said:
not so sure bout that. in the wet maybe.

early ones were 210brake, 1375Kg i.e. 153bhp / ton

fair play they got more torque... 0-60 is 6.8 secs on those so fook all in it there.

I'd say the clio would be more nimble to throw around the twisties / track.

Only place there's gonna be a significant gain in the S3s favour is on the straights.

It'll piss all over a clio on the straights and the clio would do well to keep up with it in the " twisties " . So if it was a combination of both the S3 would leave it well behind .

RenaultSport clio 182
I raced a Bugatti Veyron the other day. Its superior horsepower gave it the edge on the straights, however as soon as we reached the twisties I pulled away using my VVT, the driver was shocked about losing to a Clio!

I told him, "just as well it wasn't a cup, they are at least as twice as quick as the non-cups, apparently 3.4 0-100mph! That 14kg makes all the difference. He was so impressed he decided to go on a diet to lost that crucial 14k's so he could whip a cup.

cosworth said:
I raced a Bugatti Veyron the other day. Its superior horsepower gave it the edge on the straights, however as soon as we reached the twisties I pulled away using my VVT, the driver was shocked about losing to a Clio!

I told him, "just as well it wasn't a cup, they are at least as twice as quick as the non-cups, apparently 3.4 0-100mph! That 14kg makes all the difference. He was so impressed he decided to go on a diet to lost that crucial 14k's so he could whip a cup.

:quiet: lol;)

TDI tyre shreader
cosworth said:

Was the Bugatti Veyron in a magazine perched on a shelf in your local corner shop? ;)

Tangoed Works
I reckon you will do him in a 182, I was neck and neck with a 225 hp 04 plate TT. Again it all comes down to the driver, he was pretty good but i edged him out slightly and beat him in the end!! One of the other guys here with a Phs 1 172, cained a 54 plate Impreza WTX STi, obvioulsy the driver of that was absolutley cak as he should have left him for dust.

On another note, had a go with my friend in his CTR, and there was nothing in it, some point I was slightly ahead, some bits he was, but virtually the same."

At the end of the day, no one is going to say they beat someone if they didnt, are they? If they do thats just silly. We all want to know how good the 172/182 really are as book times mean nothing, it all reflects in your driving skill with the machine!

SLK 350
Personally, from a rolling start i think you'd be all over his back bumper up until 90mph odd, then i think the 172 loses a bit of poke. Are the S3 5speed or 6speed?

Eitherway, i'd think you'd have a fair chance of surprising him.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
MRBILLYUK said:
It'll piss all over a clio on the straights and the clio would do well to keep up with it in the " twisties " . So if it was a combination of both the S3 would leave it well behind .

LOL......

If you can 1. drive an 2. find and S3 you will quickly learn that the clio is an equal match for the S3.

Ben at work had an S3 and every morning when we met at the bottom of the M58, up the hill to the first junction the clio was 3/4 car lengths infront. Yes you can re-map but if std its as quick in a straight line upto 100 for sure.

Regrads to handling then in the wet yes but in the dry the clio is again equal if not better than the S3.

Last edited by a moderator:
  Turbos.
I imagine when it comes to real world driving in gear times will be much better.

Remember the Audi is not actually 4WD all the time, it is FWD and shifts power back only when neccessary. It handles like poo.

172 cup TT
lol at this thread... S3 > rs??.. not at all... non of the S3's ive come up against have been able to say so anyway (I do have the top of the range "Cup" tho so i dont know about a Standard 172/182)

Clio 172 mk2
MRBILLYUK said:

Because the Audi has crap steering

Still would be quicker than the 182 though in the wet due to the 4WD advantage

Nippy white cup
I have a regular play with a yellow S3 on my way home (long way lol) and mine over took him pretty well and have always beaten him (yes he was trying as he always makes a point of getting behind me as soon as he can) Maybe at daft speeds but I reckon by then it would be pointless

Chris

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Generally it's a faster car and with not much £ it can be a VERy fast car! ;lol.

When you get to the pace of a clio, nothing will get away in the twisties coz at the end of the day, there's only so fast you can go round a corner.

Clio 172 mk2
Ali said:
Generally it's a faster car and with not much £ it can be a VERy fast car! ;lol.

When you get to the pace of a clio, nothing will get away in the twisties coz at the end of the day, there's only so fast you can go round a corner.

Revo tek remap for the S3 about £500 takes it right up to 260 odd bhp
http://www.dialynx.co.uk

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
And alot more torque, i was at a VAG RR meet and this guy had his own laptop hooked up etc big boys stuff. Was running over 300Bhp and alot more torque. Kept slipping on the rollers.

NEED V6!
Hey i had a race with S3 i beat him to 100mph from standing start heading onto A46 warwick.

He was with me till about 50mph but i then lost him around about 6 or 7 car lenghts back i was well chuffed.

My 182 is completly standard:cool: :rasp:

tiTTy & SV650
thankyou for agreeing people lol I didnt think a standard S3 had much if anything over the 172 / 182

In a straight line the S3 would be quicker. As I just posted in the ST v..... thread, I used to have a SEAT Leon Cupra R which has a lot in common with the S3.

They all run the 1.8 turbo in different states of tune. My '05 plate LCR was stock running 225BHP and around 207 ft lb of torque. Against my friend's 172 it had a distinct straight line advantage both accelerating and braking.

In the corners the LCR is a lot softer and much more prone to understeer. An S3 for the majority of its life is FWD it uses a Haldex system whereby power is transferred to the rears if it feels slippage and subsequently when you enter a corner you are driving an FWD and if the car starts to go off line then it becomes 4WD, so with the exception of very hard driving/very slippery roads the '4WD' on the S3 is just extra weight!!!

At the end of the day an S3 and a 172/182 are very evenly matched!

E91 M Sport
He'll win because he's got Bose and leather seats.

Btw, turn off caps lock, it's like trying to read morse code.

Vee dub
S3 is the superior car all round imho

Clio will do itself proud round a track, but generally its S3 all the way for performance.. awesome machine

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
chiefsilverback said:
In a straight line the S3 would be quicker. As I just posted in the ST v..... thread, I used to have a SEAT Leon Cupra R which has a lot in common with the S3.

They all run the 1.8 turbo in different states of tune. My '05 plate LCR was stock running 225BHP and around 207 ft lb of torque. Against my friend's 172 it had a distinct straight line advantage both accelerating and braking.

In the corners the LCR is a lot softer and much more prone to understeer. An S3 for the majority of its life is FWD it uses a Haldex system whereby power is transferred to the rears if it feels slippage and subsequently when you enter a corner you are driving an FWD and if the car starts to go off line then it becomes 4WD, so with the exception of very hard driving/very slippery roads the '4WD' on the S3 is just extra weight!!!

At the end of the day an S3 and a 172/182 are very evenly matched!

The haldex system saps lots of HP ..! and given its weight then the RS should be at least as quick to 100.. my experience in the "top of the range Cup" seems to be the same as everyone elses.

Seems the only people defending the performance "threads nor about bose and leather" of the S3 are people who:-

1. Dont own an rs clio

2. Or carnt drive it properly

RenaultSport clio 182
As much as i love my 182 i reakon an S3 is generally a better car! but I had a play with one and it wasnt exactly pissing all over me, however it did have a distinct advantage on the straights, as soon as the corners came i was right up his Gritter.

EVOgone said:
The haldex system saps lots of HP ..! and given its weight then the RS should be at least as quick to 100.. my experience in the "top of the range Cup" seems to be the same as everyone elses.

Seems the only people defending the performance "threads nor about bose and leather" of the S3 are people who:-

1. Dont own an rs clio

2. Or carnt drive it properly

An S3 has more torque and more 'power' and although they are closely matched with a RenaultSport they should have a slight straight line advantage, especially as you get up towards 3 figures....

My friend commented on the fact that the 172 struggled to keep up with a 1.8T powered LCR and was shocked at how hard they brake!! The S3 is heavier than the LCR and doesn't have the Brembos but they are pretty closely matched.

In the corners though the Clio's have a distinct advantage....