ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Audi S3 Vs 172/182

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Im a bit new to this Mk2 clio lark, although i did own a Clio 16v (old shape) along time ago. Im no spring chicken, but in my 20 years of driving i have concluded the following:

The car containing the driver least wanting to live / keep their licence will be quickest on the road, irrespective of power or chassis. Road racing is stupid and will eventually end with your car in a ditch / points on licence.

The fastest drivers on a track are the smoothest, irrespective of car / power / chassis

Local road knowledge accounts for 80% of speed. A driver who knows a road will beat pretty much any other car irrespective of power / chassis / weight.

Ive owned / driven alot of cars in my time and the truth is the clio sport 172 is alright. Its far from the best set up car ive driven out of the box. Its not that special in high speed corners as the dampig rate isnt right for the springs, and the body roll is too much. Slow speed stuff it suffers from traction problems as the engine is too peaky. If you want to drive a car with a great base set up drive the old shape Fiesta 1.3 (ultra base model) and the 1.6 zetec S. Now this car (zetec s)is probably the best chassis ive driven on a small car and IMO what the clio should be aiming to beat (not talking about engine power, just chassis dynamics and handling characteristics). Thebest chassis i drove on a sports car was on a Boxster.

BMW 330d :)
MRBILLYUK said:
It'll piss all over a clio on the straights and the clio would do well to keep up with it in the " twisties " . So if it was a combination of both the S3 would leave it well behind .

So remind us why you have a 182 then if the S3 is such a superior car? ;)

grahamk182 said:
As much as i love my 182 i reakon an S3 is generally a better car! but I had a play with one and it wasnt exactly pissing all over me, however it did have a distinct advantage on the straights, as soon as the corners came i was right up his Gritter.

You need the 172 cup then mate. You would have been all over him in the straights and going past him round the bends ;) J/K

V6 Exige, GTR R35
i had a play with an s3 last summer coming across the forth road bridge....

he was plodding along holding everyone up in the fast lane, i dropped a gear and floored it past him (yip i undertook him!!) he wasnt to impressed so came after me....

i was flat out and everytime i pulled into the slowlane to let him past he couldnt do it.... we both had a laugh then slowed down to sensible speeds.

thats my experience with them anyways.... quick but nothing to write home about!

R

rich[182]

My wife used to have a A3 1.8T, I used to drive it a lot. It felt quick until I got whoopassed several times by 172's and Cups. It's kinda strange when you own a 172 like me and then you take on a 172 whilst driving another car that you thought was quick, makes you realise what the 172's can do.

As for the S3, I've never drove one but last year a friend owned one, although it was quicker, he was amazed at the pace of the 172 and that he could never shake me off. Reckon the only time he'd really pull away was at speeds I'm simply not prepared to do. He still talks about it now.

VaVa
How is a car with a simialr bhp/tonne ratio and 4wd drive going to piss on a Clio in a straight line? Maybe 100+ the extra power will make the difference....

old 1 ----- will be close , down 2 :race: driver
new 1-------- alot harder 2 beat if u can in ur std car ;)

MINI JCW
In terms of performance below 90/100mph (assuming both cars are std) there is nothing in it what so ever.

the S3 is a superior car though but it should be, brand new it cost nearly twice as much as the 172/182

I really wanted an S3 before I bought my 182, but i simply wasnt prepared to pay the same for a S3 with 60k on it as i did for a new 182

VaVa
Tom Rigbanks said:
Im a bit new to this Mk2 clio lark, although i did own a Clio 16v (old shape) along time ago. Im no spring chicken, but in my 20 years of driving i have concluded the following:

The car containing the driver least wanting to live / keep their licence will be quickest on the road, irrespective of power or chassis. Road racing is stupid and will eventually end with your car in a ditch / points on licence.

The fastest drivers on a track are the smoothest, irrespective of car / power / chassis

Local road knowledge accounts for 80% of speed. A driver who knows a road will beat pretty much any other car irrespective of power / chassis / weight.

Ive owned / driven alot of cars in my time and the truth is the clio sport 172 is alright. Its far from the best set up car ive driven out of the box. Its not that special in high speed corners as the dampig rate isnt right for the springs, and the body roll is too much. Slow speed stuff it suffers from traction problems as the engine is too peaky. If you want to drive a car with a great base set up drive the old shape Fiesta 1.3 (ultra base model) and the 1.6 zetec S. Now this car (zetec s)is probably the best chassis ive driven on a small car and IMO what the clio should be aiming to beat (not talking about engine power, just chassis dynamics and handling characteristics). Thebest chassis i drove on a sports car was on a Boxster.

Agree with pretty much all of that apart from the peaky engine/lack of traction statement. Apart from 1st gear, I've never really found traction a problem.

Never driven a Zetec S mind, but have heard nothing but good things about the chassis/handling.

Focus ST
gazcaddy said:
In terms of performance below 90/100mph (assuming both cars are std) there is nothing in it what so ever.

the S3 is a superior car though but it should be, brand new it cost nearly twice as much as the 172/182

I really wanted an S3 before I bought my 182, but i simply wasnt prepared to pay the same for a S3 with 60k on it as i did for a new 182

I completely agree with all three statements!

Clio 172 mk2
gazcaddy said:

Agree...S3s are still very expensive

Clio 182
lagerlout1 said:
How is a car with a simialr bhp/tonne ratio and 4wd drive going to piss on a Clio in a straight line? Maybe 100+ the extra power will make the difference....

Exactly what I was thinking, lol

Power at Flywheel (BHP) : 210Weight without Driver (KG) : 1375Power to Weight Ratio (BHP Per Ton) : 155.180 - 60 (Secs) : 6.330 - 100 (Secs) : 18.3460 - 100 (Secs) : 12.01Quarter Mile (Secs) : 15.12Terminal Speed (MPH) : 90.80Drag Strip Quarter Mile (Secs) : 14.72Drag Strip Terminal Speed (MPH) : 93.53

Ive raced one in my valver and stayed bumper to bumper from 30-100.

X-172 Cup
Tom Rigbanks said:

/\
He speaks the truth

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Ive raced 2 in the clio and theres been nothing in it to silly speeds.Add a chip and it would be a different story.But standard they are very heavy and the 4wd system is made from old bus tickets

ian

ian 182 said:
Ive raced 2 in the clio and theres been nothing in it to silly speeds.Add a chip and it would be a different story.But standard they are very heavy and the 4wd system is made from old bus tickets

ian

Obviously the LCR benefits from not having the extra weight of 4WD hence why is has a little on the Clios in a straight line!?!?

LY 200
Lol, some ponce at work has an s3 and thinks its invincible........Was telling me the otherday how he pissed on an M3.

OK mate.

MINI JCW
Forgot to say though, the interior is fantasic in the S3.

I remember a quote from top gear when comparing the S3 and Focus RS, it went something along these lines

'On the inside Audi hired a master craftsmen to do the interior where Ford got a cowboy' So true

One day when I have a few more pennies, ill buy an Audi S/RS model or a BMW M model

MINI JCW
JayR said:
Lol, some ponce at work has an s3 and thinks its invincible........Was telling me the otherday how he pissed on an M3.

OK mate.

Depends which M3 I guess, although it it was the E46 or the E36 Evo one then he would have no chance assuming is S3 is std

E91 M Sport
gazcaddy said:
I remember a quote from top gear when comparing the S3 and Focus RS, it went something along these lines

'On the inside Audi hired a master craftsmen to do the interior where Ford got a cowboy' So true

If only cars were judged purely on interior...the S3 would be a good car! ;)

MINI JCW
miketheman2k said:
If only cars were judged purely on interior...the S3 would be a good car! ;)

The S3 is a fantastic car though and it a superior car to any of the Renaultsport Clios, its just a shame its soo bloody expensive

Clio 172 Ph2 in Silver
I had an S3 last year 225 model, this car is fast and handles much better than the Clio due to it's 4WD setup therfore on the straight its quicker and definatly quicker round corners due to it's better traction. I had mine remaped through AMD and it was pumping out 267bhp in standard format. it was a very noticable increase in power but then compared to the car I purchased after that, Subaru P1 it was in a different league. :D

E91 M Sport
gazcaddy said:
The S3 is a fantastic car though and it a superior car to any of the Renaultsport Clios, its just a shame its soo bloody expensive

Sorry but its a totally different car. S3 for fast, safe and frankly boring handling. Great interior.

Clio for crap build but lightweight and very agile and edgy.

E91 M Sport
bigshout said:
I had an S3 last year 225 model, this car is fast and handles much better than the Clio due to it's 4WD setup therfore on the straight its quicker and definatly quicker round corners due to it's better traction. I had mine remaped through AMD and it was pumping out 267bhp in standard format. it was a very noticable increase in power but then compared to the car I purchased after that, Subaru P1 it was in a different league. :D

Grip and handling aren't the same thing. :S

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo
bigshout said:

lol

i took an S plate S3 for a test drive for a mate who wasnt sure about it just before xmas. It didnt feel any quicker than my 172, a lot more smoother power delivery, although it felt like nothing ive ever driven around corners, honestly it handled amazingly.

To say a 172/182 will dust an S3 in the twisties is laughable its that good with the 4 wheel drive. And the dash was lush!

speaking from both sides of the fence.

TDI tyre shreader
Blah blah blah blah blah........4 pages of b****cks later we drive on roads so shouldnt be racing anyway so you should all be banned. Anyway my point is out of the two which one would you rather own? S3 or a 172/182? I know which one i prefer and am hoping to upgrade to one later in the year

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Jones said:
Blah blah blah blah blah........4 pages of b****cks later we drive on roads so shouldnt be racing anyway so you should all be banned. Anyway my point is out of the two which one would you rather own? S3 or a 172/182? I know which one i prefer and am hoping to upgrade to one later in the year

Do you think on the S3 forum you will see posts like S3 V 172/182 lol ;) ??

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Frasers Cup said:
But you could get a used s3 for the same as a new 182 ;)

" Used " and " new " being the operative words mate ;)

There's alot of used cars i could have had for the price of a new 182 . I had a 172 before the 182 , the cars a good little motor but i wouldn't keep bangin' on about it , thinking its the best handling car on the planet like some of you dreamers do :rasp:

Clio 172 mk2
MRBILLYUK said:
" Used " and " new " being the operative words mate ;)

There's alot of used cars i could have had for the price of a new 182 . I had a 172 before the 182 , the cars a good little motor but i wouldn't keep bangin' on about it , thinking its the best handling car on the planet like some of you dreamers do :rasp:

What, like all of the main car magazines do?

Neil G said:
What, like all of the main car magazines do?

Yeah and they know what they are talking about unlike some! ;) They have driven hundreds of cars and can compare them in terms of handling!

And I have yet to read a mag that says the s3 is more fun to drive than the 172/182. Not with all that weight!

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
A comparison like this is likened to a saxo keeping up with a 182.We all know the clio is the nicer car but it does'nt stop lesser cars snapping at your heals...

ian