ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bash's 172 Cup

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
I recently came across this cup by accident,
A mate had mentioned He wanted a 172/182 of some variety and a week later when I was picking up some wheels from Jed on here He mentioned that He would be selling his Cup in the next month or two, So I told my mate Ian what I thought would be a perfect car for him but by this time He'd decided that a cooper s that had come locally was what He wanted,
I told him that they aren't half as much fun as clio's but he'd made up his mind so I thought sod it I'll take on the cup and have a little project getting it mechanically perfect with some light modifications to bring it up what I considered a good fast road useable daily,
The spec is fairly good already with
-Powerflex wishbone bushes
-Powerflex rear axle bushes
-Powerflex ARB bushes
-Goodridge Braided Lines
-Cat back Stainless steel stealth exhaust
-Ktec ITG Panel Filter.

Here she is after the initial deep clean

fullsizeoutput_338.jpeg fullsizeoutput_32d.jpeg fullsizeoutput_335.jpeg

So far I've fitted/replaced
- Eibach Sportlines
- Front Brembo discs and pads
- New rear pads
- A better, used sport wheel as the old one was melting very badly and let the interior down
- Fresh Brake fluid
- Cleaned the engine bay
- Lubed the rear brake compensator and made sure it worked correctly
- Mot'ed (unbelievably clean running engine on the emissions at 1.00 lambda, 0% CO2, 6ppm HC)

IMG_2123.JPG fullsizeoutput_33a.jpeg

Jobs for next week are a
-new Timing & Auxiliary belt & dephaser pulley
-New number plates
-Fresh engine oil & filter
-Fresh Transmission oil

IMG_2151.JPG

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Awesome, looks fantastic! I often think I should have left mine reasonably standard as they are great out of the box with a refresh.

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
It's a bit too nice to bounce off the kerbs and thwacker posts at Harewood,
I'm still using the 182 (for track days this season) currently as I had a mk6 jedi R1 single seater lined up but the guy selling couldn't decide on how much he wanted.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Hmm looks too much like a 182, get the wheels back in silver :)

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
I changed the Timing Belt (SKF Kit) and Dephaser this morning, It's a good job I did as despite the belt only being replaced 18 months ago with a genuine Renault kit one of the idlers had started to fail.

IMG_2189.JPG

The dephaser pulley bolt was ridiculously tight but other than that it was a quickish and straight forward job,
the Car has 103k miles on the clocks so now isn't due until 175k or May 2022, but ideally 163k, May 2021 (seems a very long way into the future when you write it!)
IMG_2188.JPG IMG_2190.JPG

Last edited:

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
Engine & Gearbox Oil change this afternoon, I really don't know what to do regarding the Turini's colour, as if I get them done silver I may just keep them for the 182.

IMG_2193.JPG IMG_2194.JPG IMG_2195.JPG

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Yess another cup!:up:

What did you do the rear compensator to check its working ok mate,also any photos of this?.may look to check mine.

Yes turinis in silver make it look fresh,glad i got mine refurbed.

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
Make sure the lever (that doesn't connect to any linkage) moves freely, get someone to sit in the car and press the footbrake, the piston on the compensator should move a couple of mm, next step is to check pressure at the bleed nipples by opening them and getting your assistant to slowly press the brake pedal, you should have a nice even steady flow to either side.
on top of this there is a way of setting the compensator valve pressure by using hydraulic pressure gauges plumbed into the rear bleed nipples, this is covered in the renault 172 workshop manual under the added sub section especially for the 172 cup

Last edited:

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
It's coming together nicely now, Yesterday I dropped the wheels off at the coaters,
then this afternoon I fitted the new number plates which always freshens up the look nicely,
the passenger wing mirror had seen some action so I replaced it with a mint used one from @Mbeau, thanks buddy

Also found the boot lid wasn't working with the rest of the central locking, a quick investigation showed that it was simply the drive gears in the lock motor sticking, the grease had gone hard so cleaned, lubed, tested, all's SWEEEEEEEETTT

fullsizeoutput_344.jpeg

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
All finished,
I'm very tempted to put this in storage as an investment, BUT I'm going to keep an eye out for a trophy for that so
there will be a for sale advert for the Cup in the next few weeks.

fullsizeoutput_349.jpeg fullsizeoutput_34e.jpeg fullsizeoutput_350.jpeg

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
This will be up for £2100 which is roughly what I have in it now,
Yours will be about the same ish