ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

battery/alternator

Mk1 16v brooklands
hello guys, right first off i was supposed to drop my car off to danny @519 today for cams remap and other bits which ive been looking forward to for god knows how long. went to start the car this morning and it didnt start, got it jump started and checked the voltage, it was putting out 13.6v without any electrics on and 13.4-5v with lights and fans on. thought ok alternator is dead.. spent a few hours faffing about and then tested the alternator at the terminal on the back 14.2v.. so its losing voltage between the alternator and battery. so im guessing knackered wire somewhere, also my positive terminal seems to be getting quite hot..

any ideas whats going on so i can get it fixed and up to 519

thanks james

172 Race Car
13.6 is enough to drive it, just dont use any ellectrics. Im sure Dan can fix it. quite often the main wire on alternator

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
Sounds to me that it could be the battery, but try checking the voltage across the power cable from the positive on the battery to the alternator, if this wire is good then you should get a reading of about 0v, if this wire is a problem then you will get a voltage.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
13.6 is enough to drive it, just dont use any ellectrics. Im sure Dan can fix it. quite often the main wire on alternator

pretty much what I said on the phone.

Thought it had got worse and packed in altogether James?

Mk1 16v brooklands
pretty much what I said on the phone.

Thought it had got worse and packed in altogether James?

basically the terminal on the alternator is knackered, the nut just spins when i tried to undo it, the connector (wire to terminal) broke so now there was nothing conecting at all.. until i created a nice little temp bodge to get the car from work to home.

fingers crossed it starts in the morning

Mk1 16v brooklands
chances of it going tits up because the terminal overheats?

ill ring you in the morning then danny and have a chat. may have to change what i need doing if it costs to much extra