ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best settings for some Horse Jumping pics?

Right, been asked to take some cross country jumping pics at the weekend, as I am in between cameras at the moment I have borrowed my mates 450D with 55-250is lens.

Its not a fast lens, but hopefully it will be a nice bright day!

Any recomendations for shutter speed/ISO etc?

Cheers!

Fiat Panda 100hp
S mode and the higest shutter speed possible would be my choice, at least then you know you can freeze the action when ever you press the button. Variable ISO to counter lighting conditions maybe? Depends how dull it is on the day, if it's sun sun sun then S mode should do the trick.

Hope these can help. These were taken with a pretty slow lens too but with the constant focus feature (can't remember of the top of my head the name for it but it constantly focuses as you hold the shutter button) and smooth movement you can get some nice effects. Shutter speed for these was around 1/200 and aperture f4.5. That way you can get a sharp foregroundbut a slightly blurred background hinting at action and movement.

Although not amazing I hope that helps mate.

Houghton%20International%20%201557.jpg

Houghton%20International%20%201584.jpg

When I take photos of my other half riding her horse I tend to use shutter priority mode, stick the focus in AI Servo mode (so that you can lock on and track the subject), use evaluative metering mode and bump the ISO as necessary to maintain a reasonable aperture. I obviously also stick it in high speed shutter mode.

I am not actually sure on the shutter speeds I've used, however if you have a look at the photos on my Flickr (www.flickr.com/pauly-g ) all the EXIF data is available which should give you an idea. It also might be good to slow the shutter speed down and try and capture some movement.

I took loads at the show last year, but cheated and had the D40 is sports mode!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jj1978/sets/72157604425183803/

Although the pics are pretty sharp and clear, there is no capture of movement as such. So want to try a few settings myself to get things looking better!

Could have been down to my panning too, will experiment with the first runners before my team members have there go!

Ian

Focus TDCi
The difference between a car and horse when it comes to panning is the fact that all of the car moves at the same speed, whereas the legs of a horse move at completely different speed and time to its body. Therefore I'd recommend high shutter speeds for across the flats and have a go at panning as the horse is going over a jump, hopefully then the legs will be moving in time with the body and you'll get a nice sharp shot all over.

Never tried it though, so just my thoughts. :)

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
For pans I'd go with a starting shutter speed of 1/200, and gradually reduce the speed as you get more confident. This will give more sense of speed. You should be able to get usable results down to about 1/100 or even lower.

Also try using the lens wide open & fast shutter speed which will hopefully give some nice bokeh and help isolate the subjects.

flol at racing stripes! Its a clip to keep the horse cooler during work - but for future reference we will re-name it the racing stripe clip :)

Ian

Focus TDCi
Having read up on this and snooped a load of photos on Flickr it would appear you want a quick shutter speed and a wide open aperture, will give you something like this:

Not taken by me:
1729483018_941c3acf7d.jpg

More shots on Flickr.

Nice pics but expensive glass! still - will try my best over the weekend with a bit of manual setting work....

what could possibly go wrong!!! lol

Fiat Panda 100hp
Having read up on this and snooped a load of photos on Flickr it would appear you want a quick shutter speed and a wide open aperture, will give you something like this:

Not taken by me:
1729483018_941c3acf7d.jpg

More shots on Flickr.

That looks awesome.

As I said though, I would go with freezing it like above, I love the detail in the horse and rider that way. Try and zoom right in if possible.

Will give some manual settings a try - lens wide open and vary the shutter speeds too see what kind of results I can get!

Rally bus

Yes if you want to freeze the action eg a jump shot but the downside is a reduction in depth of field and no sense of movement so better not to use those settings for anything other than head on jump shots I'd say.

Ian

Focus TDCi
Yes if you want to freeze the action eg a jump shot but the downside is a reduction in depth of field and no sense of movement so better not to use those settings for anything other than head on jump shots I'd say.

I agree, but if you want some guaranteed keepers then I'd stick to this setting for at least some of the time that you're shooting? Having recently tried panning with cars there's no way you would stop me having a go at panning the horses too. I'm not sure what JJ is after these for, personal or commercial, but it would be a bit risky to try and stick to capturing movement all the time. I know you're much more experienced than me anyway Gary, so I can hardly debate rights and wrongs. :)

Also bear in mind JJ that if it's an official event there may be an official photographer, don't go treading on their toes, lol.

My friend is Secretary at the event, so I get to stand pretty much where ever I want :)

There is always a photographer there, but they always just stay at one fence and take pics - I am going to be running from one side to the other capturing various jumps and gallops. I may set the manual and TV settings up in advance for a few shots so I can flick between the settings as the horse goes over the fence then goes past. Probably put it in burst mode at some point too.

No harm in firing off 100's of shots if I get some decent keepers!

The shots are mainly for personal use, as a load of riders from my yard are competing, but last year I did manage to sell a few pics after the event - so bit of both really!

Ian

Focus TDCi
Yeah pick three or four fences/flats along the run (if it's not too spread out that is!) that give you time to get to them, have the sun in the right place and a decent background etc. Sounds like a good shoot tbh!

Rally bus
I agree, but if you want some guaranteed keepers then I'd stick to this setting for at least some of the time that you're shooting?

I'd have thought for guaranteed keepers you want to find the balance between good DoF and fast shutter speed. Using either extreme will reduce the chance of getting a good shot. Maximum shutter speed = more chance of freezing the action but also = less DoF = less tolerance on focus point.

With horses heads moving around it's harder to be spot on with your focus point (even on tracking focus) so I'd tend to go for settings which give a larger DoF while still maintaining a sufficiently high shutter speed - horses don't go that fast so no need for 1/1000th sec etc.

Its a very big course - takes about 10-15 mins to ride flat out!

But the start and finish are either side of a nice spot that I can stand in - there is a few fences within zoom range, plus 2 very open runs which should see some faster moving horses (depending on there fitness!)

Ahh, my cob gets a bit fluffy at winter... we usually hack it all off and give him the bald look, apart from fluffy legs and half face - poor bugger lol

A4 Avant
I'd go as low ISO as you can, high ISO and movement really don't mix and you'll struggle to get any sharp shots due to the amount of noise. To make sure you get some keepers start off at maybe 1/500. Then work your way down to about 1/125. Not sure what aperture your lense goes down to but aim for f2.8 or f3.5 if possible, to create DOF.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
Surely all lens create dof, the lower the f number, the smaller or narrower the dof

the lens is pretty slow so unless its quite sunny you'll need to bump up the iso to get the shutter speed fast enough to freeze the action.

you'll want to get your composition right no horses heads hiding the riders, get the riders in the air or on approach rather than landing unless they are doing something silly.

keep your shutter speed above 1/200s and you'll probably be fine

Right, been asked to take some cross country jumping pics at the weekend, as I am in between cameras at the moment I have borrowed my mates 450D with 55-250is lens.

Its not a fast lens, but hopefully it will be a nice bright day!

Any recomendations for shutter speed/ISO etc?

Cheers!

In fact I did it - and who said there are any rules regarding clips - I don't see anything wrong with it.

I think its groovy! You can do what ever clip you want - we clipped a big superman style W on to will once and I rode him like it... only once though lol!

Gem

Racing Blue 182
There are ways and means to clip a horse TBH. It's not about all aesthetic's, it's about whats practical for the horse.

A hunter clip allows the horse to do lots of hard work without causing too much stress, whereby say a blanket clip or trace clip is better for horses only doing to odd bit of work.

So no, a horse is not a poodle....but horses need to be clipped correctly and in the right areas depending on their work requirements :)

Some great pics in here :)