ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BG 182

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
My BG is at pretty much the same mileage as yours and if looking really close I can see light bubbling on the inside lip of the arches. Thankfully already sorted the fuel flap and arches from the inside.

Definitely worth getting on top of that asap.
I didn't have it along the top of the arch until this winter, it's purely age related! They're doing well to be in such good condition anyway imho.

I might send the car to the paintshop in the summer and borrow the gfs car for a week or two. Probably talking £500 ish to repair and paint including front bumper?

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Been away in Anglesey, had great weather all week! Only real downside is the cottage has a really rough driveway and I have to go about 2mph down it.

Heard my splitter scrape a lot and the linkage also scraping. Hope theres no damage happening to the box when this happens?

Some photos from today, washed it before we went but I've done 300+ miles since.

20200304_170851.jpg
20200304_150115.jpg
20200304_150154.jpg

Last edited:

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
When booking these weekends away you need to ask about the driveway, I nearly beached the Megane when we went to a log cabin in the dales😂😂
It said 'uneven track' this is a million times worse than that. The owner has apologised multiple times so nothing more can really be done tbf

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Bet your lass was well pleased when you turned the radio off and listened for anything touching the car

I do it all the time with speedbumps, lumps in the road and anything bigger than an ant

A massive block of snow/ice fell off the underside of a gritter in front of me the other day and I cringed that it was gonna wipe out my front bumper😂 Any normal car it wouldn't have been an issue

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Bet your lass was well pleased when you turned the radio off and listened for anything touching the car

I do it all the time with speedbumps, lumps in the road and anything bigger than an ant

A massive block of snow/ice fell off the underside of a gritter in front of me the other day and I cringed that it was gonna wipe out my front bumper😂 Any normal car it wouldn't have been an issue
It's like you were there hahaha. I turned it down and she was like 'I liked that song' 😂😂

I've mainly been scraping my splitter which isnt too bad. It's only carbon... my gearstick also wobbles from time to time but only on real bad parts. Linkage sits super low on these!

And I'm not surprised in your Meg. It's so low, a slightly bit of camber in the road and you're beached 😂

Just done the whole thread! Weirdly I've never looked in here before.. I also thought you had a ph2 172 until you told me you didn't.

I think it's absolutely stunning!!! It looks spot on and the mods are sweet. The only thing I'd do (which is a minor thing) re do the brake calipers in silver (unless you've got a brake swap planned ?)

Your car's wicked mate! :cool:

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Just done the whole thread! Weirdly I've never looked in here before.. I also thought you had a ph2 172 until you told me you didn't.

I think it's absolutely stunning!!! It looks spot on and the mods are sweet. The only thing I'd do (which is a minor thing) re do the brake calipers in silver (unless you've got a brake swap planned ?)

Your car's wicked mate! :cool:
Haha glad you finally had time to read mate and thanks for the kind words! It's been a fairly long ownership so there's lots of odd jobs in here even I have forgotten about!

Used as a daily so sees all the weather. @leeds2592 always nags me about the brakes and i will be going silver soon! I'd like brembos but the pads and discs are still absolutely fine and seems like unnecessary expense at the moment. Would need a 197 master cylinder, new lines and brackets making up too.

Worth it for the looks mind you!

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Back from Anglesey and the car didnt miss a beat. Had Tesco momentum in and averaged 40mpg for the whole duration of our stay.

Gave it a quick wash to remove all mud that had gotten plastered on. Came up alright and this was without a polish just citrus, snow foam, 2 bucket wash. Run out of wheel cleaner so ill have to buy some more for next time. Will probably seal the wheels again soon as the dirt sticks more than it used to.

Gave the tips a polish with some silvo whilst i was at it

20200307_122026.jpg
20200307_151337.jpg
20200307_152328.jpg
20200307_151433.jpg

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
As we have finally started having good weather on weekends I made a start on getting my car ready for the Recaros.
Started by removing the drivers seat and stripping out the satnav system from underneath. Tidied all cabling (nav and airbag) away into the sill trims and wrapped with proper fleece cable tape. Took photos of all the cabling for future reference but wont put that in here as it's not very exciting.
20200328_190637.jpg

Removed the passenger seat and did the same job of tidying away all the airbag wiring. Seats were easy to remove as I'd covered the studs in copper grease a couple of years back so that was nice.
Next up was cutting away the heater ducts to allow the Jon Foz frames to fit properly. Have to pull the carpet up and it's a little fiddly but a sharp stanley cut through it easy. Did the same on both sides.
20200328_133703.jpg
20200328_133708.jpg

Weirdly the cross member under the carpet has been painted at some point. No idea why! Dont think anyone has been here before me other than the factory.
20200328_133928.jpg

Anyway, cleaned all the carpets using autogylm interior shampoo and a scrubbing brush then vacced everywhere.
20200328_140544.jpg

20200328_142944.jpg

Fitted 4 brand new seat spacers as the seats will lean when in place. Part numbers for reference.
20200328_154945.jpg
20200328_155500.jpg

Unfortunately the underseat sub no longer fits with the Jon Foz frames and theres no room above these because of the sliders on the seat. Means I have to move it and the best option is just in the rear footwell as noone will be sitting in the back anyway!
20200328_160144.jpg

Got it central and drilled through to secure it with self tappers again. Wrapped all the cable in fabric tape and then cut the carpet to run it away neatly.
20200328_165140.jpg

Happy with that! Next up is removing all the top dash to get at the wiring as I need some extra length now the subwoofer is further back. Seats should be in tomorrow all being well but being methodical with it all so I dont miss anything out!

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Another good day of progress. Stripped all the rear bench out and removed the door cards on both sides. Inspected each side for rust and was very similar to the last time I looked in that they were pretty good. Only surface and no holes that werent meant to be there.
20200329_113557.jpg
20200329_112535.jpg

Treated the rust using some Deox-C gel and left it to dwell for 2 hours. Whilst that was working away i decided to apply some sound deadening on my rear quarters. The black is the OEM and then the rest is silent coat. Quite satisfying when done and should help some way in reducing road noise.
20200329_131310.jpg
20200329_131306.jpg

Also did the bench itself to remove any drumming and minimise drone from the milltek as much as possible. May not do too much but it cant hurt.
20200329_172838.jpg

When I'd finished this I washed out the Deox-C from the sills and then wiped with brake cleaner to remove any moisture left. Dynax S50 was then copiously applied inside the rear quarter and down the full length of the sills. I removed the cable fixings along the length of the sill to feed in the nozzle and ensure it was all coated.
20200329_161728.jpg
20200329_161733.jpg
20200329_161703.jpg
20200329_161714.jpg

It pooled a fair bit on the area of treated rust and the plan is to let that dwell for a few days before wiping it away, priming and top coating the rust. The dynax has neutralising chemicals within too.
Re-fitted bench and door cards to get the stuff out of the garage and free up some space and thats how I've left it for now. Didnt get chance to get the seats in but working from home this week so wont need the car.
20200329_175604.jpg

Last edited:

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
S-50 is the final step? You’ll enjoy removing it again.
It wipes out with a rag and thinners. I'm literally just going to remove it on the small area of treated rust, not the whole lot!
Probably dont even need to as the rust is 'converted' already but better safe than sorry. I wasnt going to coat it but got carried away when I was doing the rest of the sills

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I think you’ll be fine as you’ve already deoxed it. I just used the S-50 over the converted rust, due to the inhibitors as you said.

I’ll have to check mine again at some point as it’s been nearly a year, but as I don’t use it in winter or the wet I’m not too worried😅

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I think you’ll be fine as you’ve already deoxed it. I just used the S-50 over the converted rust, due to the inhibitors as you said.

I’ll have to check mine again at some point as it’s been nearly a year, but as I don’t use it in winter or the wet I’m not too worried😅
Mines out all weathers, nearly everyday!

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I've just done the very same job on my sills today, drivers side was about the same as yours but passenger side was near enough totally clean.

What are your beam mounts and where they mount to the shell like? They are the worst bit on mine so they whole rear beam and mounts will be coming off this summer.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Amazing work and updates mate.

This is how things should be done and many, including myself, should/will take inspiration from this.

Loving the little extras too such sound deadening the rear seat bench and fabric taping the rear sub wires.

It's a perfect spec'd daily car and certainly will be once the recaros are in.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I've just done the very same job on my sills today, drivers side was about the same as yours but passenger side was near enough totally clean.

What are your beam mounts and where they mount to the shell like? They are the worst bit on mine so they whole rear beam and mounts will be coming off this summer.
Beam mounts are all fine. Had the rear bushes replaced last year and everything unbolted without any issues. Might be worth giving them a go over at some point just because of the age.

Amazing work and updates mate.

This is how things should be done and many, including myself, should/will take inspiration from this.

Loving the little extras too such sound deadening the rear seat bench and fabric taping the rear sub wires.

It's a perfect spec'd daily car and certainly will be once the recaros are in.
You're too kind Mark! Definitely doesnt compare to your build thread though and others on here.
Just trying to do little job i've put off over time as it makes sense with the current climate. Sun being out increases motivation that's for sure!
You can do the rust treatment on the other bits of the car now as well 🌚
Be reet.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Got my seats mounted onto my subframes. Had a couple of issues with the sliders being 'tapered' by about 4mm front to back. I believe it's down to the tension the centre bar puts through. Enlarged my holes slightly (9mm one side, 10mm the other) and it all went together fine with the slider operating smoothly. Thanks for everyones advice over pm's!
All bolts torqued up to 35nm should see me right.

20200331_220844.jpg
20200331_221252.jpg
20200331_221307.jpg
20200331_221535.jpg
20200401_212836.jpg

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
They'll be in this weekend dont you worry. I've purposely avoided fitting them over winter, and then i've had all these other jobs to do first. WFH this week has meant I can leave my car in pieces, i'll be back in/out of the office next week!
That's the excuse I'm giving myself with my gearbox tbh...

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Seats are now in! Was a bit of a faff trying to get all the bolts in properly with the correct washers. Used OEM nuts underneath with nylocs to lock them off and also swapped the spacers from the inside to the outside as they were tilting. All then torqued to 30Nm-35Nm for peace of mind. Annoyingly the powdercoat on the subframes isnt very tough and comes off with the slightest touch! Shame really but maybe something to revisit at a later date.

Thought I'd get away with sliding the belts through after but I dont have a long enough torx socket to remove the bolt! Ordered some now and should be able to wiggle it by.
Really happy with how they look, going to take a bit of getting used to!
20200405_154858.jpg
20200405_155003.jpg
20200405_154919.jpg
20200405_154933.jpg
20200405_154944.jpg
20200405_154953.jpg

Last edited:

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Noticed the headlights had started to yellow again so got out the wet and dry to give them a refresh. Began with 240 and worked through to 2000 and then ran a microfibre pad over them with some Menzerna 400/2500.
20200412_153602.jpg

Finished with SRP and some AG HD wax and pretty happy with how theyve turned out. Should be good for another year!
20200412_175109.jpg

Gave the whole car a wash aswell, not polished yet but thats the plan for tomorrow.
20200412_175023.jpg
20200412_175031.jpg

As I fitted the Recaros I decided to finally fit the Renaultsport wheel I've had sat in my garage for about a year and a half! Fitted a volantec bracket as the horn has now obviously moved. The bolts are titanium as I always had problems with the standards rounding, tempted to run a torch over them to get some colour out!
Super happy with how this looks and will be cleaning up the other sparco 330 to sell on.
20200412_174938.jpg
20200412_175001.jpg