ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BG 182

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
So carrying on from last week, I wasnt happy with using the nyloc nuts and bolts so I bought a rivnut tool and some M5 rivnuts to run along the length of the sill.

Drilled out the holes to 7mm and then placed the rivnuts in the holes, absolute dream to use and super satisfying! Did this on both sides.
View attachment 1472952

I then prepared all the passenger side sill the same as the other side last week, as I only got as far as straightening out the sills (within reason, i wasn't going for a concourse finish). Wire brush on a drill to start finished with deox C and a clean with surfex hd. Primed in red zinc oxide, grey primer then finished in black gold and 3 coats of clear.

View attachment 1472951
View attachment 1472955

I didnt bother masking up the car, i'm spraying so low down I dont think it's an issue. The car is also filthy anywhere above the sills so wont be getting near to the paint. Sheet of MDF was enough for me to protect the 2118's but they're ceramic coated anyway so nothing really sticks. Could do with topping up now though!

I then treated all the drivers side with dynax S50, probably overkill but it'll neutralise any rust that may come through in the future and also act as a barrier against moisture.
View attachment 1472953
As I now had a new toy, i decided to replace all the rivnuts underneath for the undertrays as the oem ones had long gone and i'd always relied on just 2 old bolts.
View attachment 1472954
No photos but I have also removed the coilover covers, cleaned them and re-coated the coilovers in ACF50. They're still in mint condition and i'd like to keep it that way!
Another thing I did was remove the carbon splitter and the fog light surrounds as I will be re-lacquering the splitter and painting the surrounds in satin black after @YorkshireKyle complained.

After my trip to anglesey and going down some roads that even tractors would struggle on the undertray has taken a beating. Believe this is where I lost my undertray cap! If anyone has a spare they would sell me that would be fantastic, otherwise i'll look at 3D printing one!

Where did you get the rivnut kit from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
I've only gone to M6 on it so far, but I'm sure it'll handle the M8 absolutely fine. Arms are just long enough that you can get enough leverage but not too big they dont fit anywhere.

Yeah same, only M6 up to now.

Depends on which type of nut you use too, if it was stainless steel M8 I bet it'd be pretty hard compared to a zinc or aluminium one 😂

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Yeah same, only M6 up to now.

Depends on which type of nut you use too, if it was stainless steel M8 I bet it'd be pretty hard compared to a zinc or aluminium one 😂
Yeah I can believe that! Stainless ones are £££ though so I'll probably stick to the zinc ones.

Good work. What did you use to protect the holes you drilled from rusting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I didnt paint them as I saw no point as the installation of the rivnuts would just damage it all anyway.
I'm working on the basis that the dynax will create a protective layer and seep in. I still have all the underside to do yet anyway, but this'll be done on a ramp as some point.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Got a few more jobs done this weekend. Removed the nearside sill and applied a layer of dynax s50 to this side aswell after painting it last weekend.
I also painted up the rear wiper blank and fitted this. Applied a layer of dynax behind this too as a precaution as there was the start of some paint bubbling here, but nothing major. I'll keep an eye on it.
20200516_142814.jpg
20200518_074248.jpg

Far better than the original that was cracking.

I also refitted the carbon splitter, it's taken some hard hits that has caused damage I couldnt get out but its better than it was. Fitted the sprayed fog light surrounds whilst I was there. Just making some mesh for the ducting so theyll go on eventually too.
20200518_074237.jpg

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Loving that rear blank.

Is it just a case of filling a original? I sold my satin one ages ago and wished I'd kept it. The KAW delete is good, but I feel it needs some shape at the back, like yours.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Loving that rear blank.

Is it just a case of filling a original? I sold my satin one ages ago and wished I'd kept it. The KAW delete is good, but I feel it needs some shape at the back, like yours.
The blank was from megacarbon on ebay. I just went for a fibreglass one as I was spraying it satin black.
I do much prefer these over the KAW ones just for the reason you said. I have my old one that is 'filled' if you want it for a fiver?
It's been filled with tiger seal at the back and does have a crack on the front so would need work

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Rear wiper blanks not my thing, but that new one looks like an OEM part. Nice job :)
I've not missed the rear wiper! Never actually found a need for it. My trophy spoiler doesnt have a washer anyway so I cant go back.

I lined it up the filled oem one and they were identical in size.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
My GP never had a rear wiper and BMW changed the whole rear screen on the GP to delete it. It was a pain in the arse sometimes but i did like the clean look on it and was one of the cool quirks of the car. Yet they then went and put huge leather heated Recaros in it #facepalm!!
The Cayman doesn't have a rear wiper but due to the aero around the back of the car it tends to stay pretty clear to be honest. I guess my car is washed weekly anyway so it would never become an issue if i did decide to delete it.

Certainly your latest addition is the best looking example ive seen so far. Nice one Lewis :)

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
For the fog ducts can you print some mesh that's the same size as the lower grill? That would look the dogs dangles to have it matching.
Rear wiper deletes I'm not a fan of, I like to have a rainbow of scratches across my window from when I forget to turn the wipers off and start reversing😂.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
For the fog ducts can you print some mesh that's the same size as the lower grill? That would look the dogs dangles to have it matching.
Rear wiper deletes I'm not a fan of, I like to have a rainbow of scratches across my window from when I forget to turn the wipers off and start reversing😂.
I've already got a mesh, just 3d printing a holder for it thatll secure internally. Similar to @Dr Jekyll . My 3d printer hasnt arrived yet and the ones at work are printing PPE non stop.

The wiper delete isnt new, I've had it done for 3 years just changed the blank 😂

You remind me, I'll be painting the lower grill satin next. Test fitted the intercooler on saturday

Last edited:

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I've had access to 3D printers at work for a while now, but they're in full use printing PPE gear so thought it was a good time to get my own. After discussions with @dann2707 and seeing all the good use he gets out of his, I punted for the anycubic I3 MEGA S. Took hardly any time to set-up and got it printing right away! Quality is wicked and I have so many things planned for it.
20200527_175213.jpg

Id designed some mesh inserts for the bassports in anticipation and set to printing them. First one came out 2mm too small so scaled it up slightly and it fits snug inside. Plan is to sink some brass rivnuts in with a soldering iron, drill some holes in the bass port then secure in with some M5 bolts. I already had the mesh from my last attempts with laser cut parts but I never really got on with tigersealing them in place so this removes that need completely.

20200531_163449.jpg

IMG-20200531-WA0007.jpeg

20200531_211034.jpg

20200531_210954.jpg

They're obviously not finished and i'm going to spray paint them black, I could use black PLA but I got a kg of white with the printer so making use of it!

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Are 3D printers easier to use these days? I'm a bit of a technophobe but at the same time I want one. Pricey?

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Are 3D printers easier to use these days? I'm a bit of a technophobe but at the same time I want one. Pricey?
They're not particularly tricky to use but you're limited by your design ability I guess. I use Solidworks daily at work so have access on lunch breaks to design personal things but most are stuck to using thingiverse and pre-existing designs.
This cost £230 with 1kg filament from China so not bad!

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Picked up a set of 197 brembos the other day! I never really planned on getting brembos but I saw these for sale very very cheap and couldnt not buy them. They had been sold with seized bleed nipples but I hit them with the torch and tapped them with a hammer and they came right out by holding them in a vice then twisting the caliper.

They need a full refurb with pistons, seals, nips so if anyone can recommend a good set theyve used with these let me know. Tried contacting r sport to get genuine brembo parts but heard nothing back unfortunately.

I'm going to get the parts to fit these but in no rush as my current pads and discs have plenty of meat left.

20200601_120746.jpg
20200601_120752.jpg
20200601_120749.jpg
20200601_120759.jpg
20200601_120755.jpg

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Another part I've been meaning to fit for months are my brass bushes to the shifter.
Unfortunately this didnt end up being a 5 minute job as anticipated!

The bushes were pretty snug into the shifter linkage, so I used the rod to 'press' them in easier than trying to do so by hand. However when i put the nut on the shifter was so tight it wouldnt select its gears.
It also would not now seperate in order to sand the bush down.

Spent hours trying to get it off but no luck! In the end resorted to cutting the linkage off and then hacksawing into the bushes. Nightmare.
20200627_191223.jpg

Thankfully i still had my original shifter in the shed so put this on in the meantime.
I purchased another 182 shifter, cut it down to use the bottom link and extended the shifter once more by 1 1/4".
20200709_152004.jpg
20200725_130407.jpg

All parts were cleaned up, the aluminium lift sleeve turned and polished then reassembled with new grease and internals.

@Yanoo was nice enough to send me another set of bushes, so this time i lightly sanded on the OD so they were snug but not overly tight in the shifter. Honed out the ID slightly and they fit perfectly onto the linkage rod this time.

Had some sanding to do of the front face until they were perfect but that was done and then the nut loctited.
20200801_151605.jpg

After this I removed the old milltek exhaust clamps as I had noticed they were blowing and looking crusty.
Replaced with genuine but it seems theyve changed the design?
20200801_165941.jpg

Smeared a fair bit of silicone under the clamps and around the edge then tightened them up. Wont know until tomorrow how well its sealed.
20200801_171947.jpg
20200801_171950.jpg

Progress is still going on with the brembos as I had a full set of braided lines made up aswell as link pipes from @BRT Motorsport .
20200706_174128.jpg
20200706_174225.jpg

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Shifter now feels fantastic again and the bushes remove any backlash from below. I need to still put the knob on and boot but will do this tomorrow then take a photo.

Will be also tackling the A/C and taking a grinder to the crashbar so I can fit my ducts.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Need to do the bushes on my shifter still actually...

Hope I don't have the same problem 😂