ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

bg front grill

bg 182
iv owned my bg 182 for a couple of months and as money is a little tight i cant go out and spend a small fortune on the parts i want sooo instead iv just decided to do little things i can do myself. this includes spraying my front grill which had started to fade and go a dull blue colour :dapprove:. i personally love how its come out and im planning on doing the lower grill and wing mirror surround and base plate the same :) let me know what you all think , cheers

before... clio fronttt.JPGclio front 1.jpgclio front 2.jpg

after :) ...next.jpgclio new grill1.jpgclio new grill.jpg

172 berg, Fabia VRS
Really freshens it up mate, i sprayed all the outside plastics ( not the wings lol ) in satin black on my iceberg and the contrast is great tbh, looks brand new :)

Looks good mate, how does it stand up to stone chips? That's the only thing stopping me doing mine, don't want it chipping to fook :(

bg 182
Looks good mate, how does it stand up to stone chips? That's the only thing stopping me doing mine, don't want it chipping to fook :(

tbh it hasnt been on long enough to suffer any stone chips but i have driven on the motorway and all that was on it when i washed it was some bugs no marks what so ever, when i do the lower grill this weekend im going to give it a few more layers or laquer just to help prevent said problem.

renault clio 182
looks good mate, just what i want to do to mine? How did you do it, what materials do i need and where do i get them from?

cheers for any help

Matt

bg 182
heres a few pics of what i did, i was a little ott and did the back too but you dont have to i just did it so when you look through the grille there isnt any chance of seeing any blue/grey. started off by rubbing down or keying the surface i just used some scotch bright something to dull and lightly scratch the surface so the primer sticks. i then washed the grille and dried off, i then masked off any areas tht i didnt want to spray. i then wiped over with some thinners to remove any oily residuend gave it a once over with a tack cloth to remove any bits of dust etc. to be honest i bought the wrong primer the primer i used as shown is a body filler one, which is really thick compared to standard primer, use etch primer though as it eats into the surface more. i gave it about5-6 good thin layers and allowed to dry between each layer ( i cheated and used a hair dryer~) fter i was happy all the grille was covered front and back and it was fully dry i then lightly went over it with some fine wet and dry just to smooth off and give a better surface to spray onto. like the primer i gave the grille about 7 good thin layers of paint allowing to dry (hair dryer) between each coat. this also helps to prevent the paint from running in the fiddly corners. on the final coat i put a thick layer of paint on making sure to be as smooth and cover all the grille. i then left this to dry in a warm workshop for an hour until it was fully dry. you can if you want use a fine sand paper to make the paint supper smooth but as it came out pretty good and to be honest i was tired i just went ahead and sprayed with laquer. i lighty sprayed about 5 layers on just to built up a good cover over the paint. i then put on 2 thicker and smoother coats of;laquer front and back) for the finished surface. WARNING! as i did the back and laquered that first to prevent over spray, i ran out of laquer so id advise to get either a larger can or two. i used two pack laquer as it holds its shin longer and doesnt go dull (so iv been told)
im doing the lower grille and wing mirrors this weekend so ill post some more pics up soon. hope this helps.

BG 182 FF
looks very nice mate, going get this done after winter now really gives the front end a lift. The wing mirror bases are a great touch did it on my old one makes it look a lot neater