ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Big coolant drop

MK7 Fiesta TDCI ZS
Hi all

Just checked my clio over yesterday. Noticed big drop in coolant (really low) since the last month I carried out a service on it and added roughly a litre to bring it up to where it was previously. Previously levels been bang on through summer with no issues and been driven daily.

Engines had previous headgasket problems in the past when i bought the car in May 95k and have 102 thou on clock. Engines a '99 d7f 1.2 8v.

The strange thing is theres no sign of water burning in the combustion chamber- no white bubbled frothing on the plugs, no milkshake oil. No visible leaks from rad hoses really odd but there was a bit of vapour coming out of the exhaust unsure whether its coolant or just normal being its winter and such like.

Any other things that could be coolant loss?/ High coolant consumption?

Cheers

ValverInBits
you could still have blown the gasket though surely? I'm not sure how long you'd realistically see the signs of burning coolant on the plugs.

tbh dude. I think you know what your up to there, and I think theres a good chance it's a slight HG failure. Checked the rad? leak on the drive at all?

Ian

Focus TDCi
How's the car running? Have you noticed the idle being lumpier than usual? Sounds like the beginning of HG failure, but I've seen other threads where it's the pump or something that is leaking slightly.

MK7 Fiesta TDCI ZS
Cheers for replies, ive only had a glance at the offside front last week to see whether any waters leaking on the block/ generally around that area whilst its running from what i could see it appeared to be ok so it might not be the water pump.

Been using the car as normal and checked this morning coolant hasnt moved at all since i last topped up. Very strange..

I havent checked the rad really to be honest just the hoses that lead up to it but sounds a good place. Ill check if theres anything thats damaged it or the top cap is ok.

As for driving now it runs nicely (hard to believe but it does). I had the car when the headgasket went and the idle was slightly chuggy back then and when youd apply the power it would sputter but it runs sound. But id be gutted if it went/ is going again.

Ill see if theres any leaks at all and keep my eye on it.

*just realised i posted in the wrong section should have been in 'problems':eek:

Thanks again