ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

looks better with out the box/tower thing around the gearstick mate.......

nice trailer btw... and yes, i was at TDF hq again today ....
Yeah it does doesn't it Stu! Glad we have managed to don it and keep it standard ish!

Thanks mate it was a good buy! Haha hows the car going? Has Matt had chance to start it yet ;)?
Has it still got my pikey home made gear knob?
I hope so ;) You have the patent rights to it now :)
i believe you have my driveshaft on it too?
I'm not sure Fred I can remember Matt saying Al was heading over for one from your's but think they fitted another in the end! Thanks if it is tho ;)

182cup & 172 racecar
Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

It works,that's all that matters.

Exactly Tony still couldn't believe after all that we had done that something so simple worked so effectively! Well chuffed!

Yeah it does doesn't it Stu! Glad we have managed to don it and keep it standard ish!

Thanks mate it was a good buy! Haha hows the car going? Has Matt had chance to start it yet ;)?

lol it looks much nicer in there now... i`m not sure about the 106 lol, i did drop off some cornerweight stands i made for Matt today though so i think i`ve funded some more trick bits:

20120303_100240.jpg

Yes that's still Tony's patented gear knob then :rasp:

good job, Ktec would probably want £££`s for that hahaha

It works,that's all that matters.

looks light too!!

Cheers... nice to meet another face on here..

Matt talked me through yours later in the day.. Will be a lively little bugger once its all done..

Golf GTD Mk7
Cheers... nice to meet another face on here..

Matt talked me through yours later in the day.. Will be a lively little bugger once its all done..

Cheers. Wish I could have gone the full wack and get itb's, but this should be a nice compromise :)

I'm collecting the car tomorrow evening and can't wait :) Got a few days then before Anglesey so got a little list of job's that I have to do!

Sorted out insurance for the car today for while the car is being stored, in transit and fire risk so basically I will be able to sleep a little easier now when I have the car sat outside in a hotel car park. I used Reis, they came very highly recommended and I can see why. They were very helpful and used a lot of common sense such as when they stated the car had to be electronically immobilised I said this is impossible and then they said well just take the Q/R wheel out of the car so can't say fairer than that :) They are also covering the trailer so the whole package is with them.

I will probably do an update before Anglesey if I get chance with a lot more pictures of the car and the tweeks that have been done along with the job's I should of completed over the weekend :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Stand looks EPIC, really good fabrication skills that man, well done!

182cup & 172 racecar

Good luck for the weekend James, just get comfortable with the car and don't mess with it too much.

See you on Monday.

Golf GTD Mk7

They are awesome but nothing compared to his car! It is a masterpiece :)

The fuel tank is amazing. Lovely fabrication work been put into that car.

Are you getting a big sheet for when you're storing the car at hotels James, or are you going to brave it? It should stop rain coming through your wing mirror holes. Had a little nosy round her on Saturday. The attention to detail became even more noticable. The gear knob looks interesting though. Saw the effect your head had on the rear view mirror as well ;) I always wondered what those massive mirror are like.

Good luck for the weekend James, just get comfortable with the car and don't mess with it too much.

See you on Monday.
Thanks Tony, Yes that's the plan the only real changes on the car at Anglesey will be a couple of clicks here and there and see how it affects setup :)

Yes see you then I'm looking forward to it, I bet you and Jay can't wait!
The fuel tank is amazing. Lovely fabrication work been put into that car.

Are you getting a big sheet for when you're storing the car at hotels James, or are you going to brave it? It should stop rain coming through your wing mirror holes. Had a little nosy round her on Saturday. The attention to detail became even more noticable. The gear knob looks interesting though. Saw the effect your head had on the rear view mirror as well ;) I always wondered what those massive mirror are like.
Yes Stu's car can just be described as EPIC! The amount of hours that must of gone into it must be mental :)

Not too sure really Jonny, Knowing me I will probably brave it but the first morning that I walk down to a car full of water I will be getting a cover lol!

Thank you very much :) Haha yes luckily it hasn't damaged my head/helmet but the mirror was a goner, In all fairness that one is too big as when you look up then there is too much to look at so I ordered another yesterday which is shorter so that's one of the jobs on my to-do list along with putting the trim back on :)
And just like a true masterpiece, it's never finished ;)

*hides*
Haha I will let Stu comment on that one Phil ;)

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes

Not too sure really Jonny, Knowing me I will probably brave it but the first morning that I walk down to a car full of water I will be getting a cover lol!

My car got SOAKED on way to trackday once... I got a wet ass and wet feet!

So I bought this brand new the next day! Never regretted it! its just turned one year old now. Awesome thing!

bet you do the same the first time that Gorgeous Clio gets all wet and minging and nasty!

a6847204.jpg

Got a tire rack and electric winch in it as well :)

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes

LOVE that corner weight stand!

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes

When next outing James? I wanna see this car!

Fancy bringing to Ring? On march 20th and 21st?

Gonna be awesome few days

My car got SOAKED on way to trackday once... I got a wet ass and wet feet!

So I bought this brand new the next day! Never regretted it! its just turned one year old now. Awesome thing!

bet you do the same the first time that Gorgeous Clio gets all wet and minging and nasty!

Got a tire rack and electric winch in it as well :)
I know I can imagine it will so will just have to see how I get on but don't fancy getting wet in the car lol!

Very nice Porkie, I really would love one but too much for me to change I would need a new house, car and driving licence lol :(

They are just so much easier and you don't have to worry about anyone nicking stuff out of the car i.e. dash, data logger etc but unfortunately not practical for me :(

When next outing James? I wanna see this car!

Fancy bringing to Ring? On march 20th and 21st?

Gonna be awesome few days
I saw your thread Porkie and trust me I was very tempted but unfortunately I have got to focus on getting the car sorted and me ready for the first race :( Those track days at the Ring were an utter bargain though and really wish I could go!

I'm out at Anglesey this weekend and then 3rd April at Brands if you are free? Hopefully going to do another day then before the race on the 7th but just need to see :) We do need to sort something out so if we can't sort something before the first race then I should be a lot more flexible afterwards :)

EDIT: P.S Come be the second driver at the first race ;) lol

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes

Just put the 7th in my Diary. I'm only 45mins for Brands, so will definately come along :)

Good luck with all the prep!

Nice one :) Will be great to have you come along! Just re-read my post and realised I forgot to put May :eek: so it's 7th May which is the bank Holiday, Sorry for any confusion.

Thanks and if I don't speak before then have a great time at the Ring!

Thanks for the pump cover mate. Picked it up yesterday :) good luck today
No worries Jonny I really surprised myself by remembering it ;) lol I hope you are enjoying it! I will post a write up tomorrow when I get chance with update from Anglesey :)

182cup & 172 racecar

Thanks for coming down today James.

Anglesey Update (I really shouldn’t of smashed that mirror at Bruntingthorpe )

On Thursday night I went down to TDF to collect the car in preparation for the Anglesey on the Sunday. I had a list of a few jobs that I wanted to get done ready for the day.

These included: Trying out the Sabelt cup racer seat for fit in the car and me, getting the road/wet tyres fitted to the freshly painted TD 1.2’s, setting up the video and data logger system, have a look round the car to get an understanding for what I need to check for, fit replacement mirror for the one I smashed, Sort through all of my tools to compile a selection of the ones needed for the Clio and I also had to implement a few security measures for the trailer.

We started off with fitting the road wheels so that we could move the car around without getting crap all over the track tyres. This is where we hit the first obstacle of the weekend. We had checked that the Alcon’s fitted with TD 1.2’s but I didn’t realise they were a 37 offset and the set I have are 45 so they were catching on the inside of the spokes by fractions of a mm but still never the less they couldn’t be used like this so I quickly rang around to try and find some spacers, luckily Demon Tweeks came to the rescue and managed to get us them on Saturday delivery. The only reason they were desperately needed was that we may of needed the road tyres on the Sunday either because of the weather or the fact we only had worn 888’s with us that may not of been upto the job.

Once this was sorted we managed to get the wheels on so I went out in the car to put a few road miles on it and get some more time in the car. When coming to a halt with the clutch down and the rev’s falling the engine kept dying which was worrying and meant either starting on the battery on bump starting if the car was still rolling. Later on in the day I spoke to Matt and we couldn’t understand what would of caused the sudden idle speed but Matt told me how to adjust this which I went to adjust. The car wouldn’t start and wouldn’t even attempt to start, After another call to Matt he thought it was just the battery that had drained due to the number of restarts it had and to get a multimeter to clarify this and if it was low then give it a long charge. I then had to find somewhere in Ilkley that sold a multimeter late on a Saturday which proved difficult but in the end managed to get one.

Luckily this worked perfectly and with a full charge it worked perfectly although this was late on Saturday so we had to load the car onto the trailer without sorting the idle issue which was a bit of a worry but hopefully would be okay.

Sunday came and I was awoken to the alarm going off at 3.45 We had a really good drive over to Anglesey and made decent time until we got pulled over by a policeman who was set on trying to arrest me for towing a trailer that I wasn’t entitled to but after a chat and me explaining all the weights and what also seemed like the law to him then it was all fine and I was let on my way (It is all legal). We then arrived at Anglesey to be greeted by a beautiful, clear skied day with zero wind which is always a treat at Anglesey. This along with the fact that only about 16 cars were in attendance meant that it was set to be a great day. We unloaded the car and proceeded to give the car a run around the paddock to try and sort out the idle issue. I then pulled back in to be greeted by a very cross/ rude gent who proceeded to bol**k me for running the engine at 9am. He stated in the booking forms that engines must not be started before 10am (It didn’t) but anyway I apologised and stated I didn’t realise. He still kept on at me telling me I was stupid, ignorant and didn’t listen to anyone, all of this in an increasingly raised voice but I just stayed calm and apologised yet again which made him even more angry and practically bellowing. I think he was making more noise than the car was but I opted not to tell him this

So while we had to wait yet again to sort the idle issue then we carried on with swapping over to the 888’s and we decided to leave the spacers in to see how this affected the setup. Once briefing was over we went outside and started to adjust the idle. With my severe lack of mechanical skill I made it much worse to the point where the car wouldn’t even run and was spluttering and back firing. Luckily after yet another call to Matt (Sorry) I realised I had been turning the adjuster too much and would of totally skipped over the sweet spot. I then tried adjusting it back but with all of the engine starts the battery’s voltage was starting to drop again so I had to take the car out and do a bit of left foot braking and keep the rev’s on at all times just to try and get some charge back into the battery. Finally after about an hour I got it running perfectly and all was well.

I went out to get some heat into the tyres and also to get a good feel for the circuit as it was a few years since I had driven there but I was getting lots of understeer so kept coming back in to drop the tyre pressures. After this had stabilised it was feeling a lot better but in the high load and high-speed corners the car was making some weird noises. Luckily after a few laps I realised it must of been the spacers catching on the arches and sure enough it was so we whipped them off.

A few laps later I was getting a yo-yo feeling through the steering wheel and also quite a bit of instability. With the driveshaft issue we had at Donington I thought I had best check that it wasn’t the same issue. We got the car jacked up and there was some serious amounts of play in the wheel. I thought it was the day over after only a few laps but then I checked the hub nut and it was totally loose so with this tightened it was all sorted and finally thought we had cleared all the obstacles and could enjoy the day. I must say I was told by Matt to check for the hub torques and I had totally forgotten so that was my own fault

We then managed to do an out lap and then started to push a bit, on the first quick lap as I turned into rocket the steering suddenly went rock hard I slowed off but then suddenly the rear end shot round so I planted it again to straighten it back up. I thought I must of lifted off too quickly so went round the next corner a bit slower but it suddenly tried to switch ends again which is when I realised it must have been chucking PAS fluid over the rear tyres. We got into the paddock and opened the bonnet to be greeted by a monumentally plastered in PAS fluid engine. Everything was covered, at first it wasn’t too obvious where it was coming from and we were hoping that it was just a pipe but when I took the bumper off then we could see it was the pump itself and upon checking the tank it was totally drained of fluid. That was it game over which after such a busy few days getting the car ready, such an early start to get to circuit and the cost of it all was incredibly disappointing. Very kindly Jonny @ Bookatrack offered to give me some credit towards another day so that was a bit of consolation.

We then had to get packed up and head back home. We went over to the trailer to get it hitched onto the car to then realise that we had not only one but two flat tyres. We tried to blow them up which worked for one of them but the other was just gushing air out of the surrounding area of the valve. This wasn’t going to be the end of the world as I made sure to buy a trailer with a spare wheel/tyre. I went to go and fit the wheel and then we realised that it had the wrong sized tyre on. It wasn’t massively different and as long as we drove slowly it should have been fine. Then upon trying the wheel the bolt spacing was totally different and the wheel wouldn’t fit. I went back over to the BAT truck and they suggested that we switched over the tyre from the spare wheel and put it onto the wheel that did fit. They went ahead and did this but then they noticed that one of the wheels was tubeless and one had a tube. They didn’t have any valve stems with them and by this point it was 3.35pm so it was looking like we were going to be sleeping in the circuit car park for the night. I then thought that the only place open on a Sunday would be Kwik fit so we quickly located the nearest which was in Bangor but they shut at 4 so by now I only had just over 20 minutes to get there! I drove like mad and managed to get there bang on 4 which was a huge relief. Then disaster struck once again. I had left my wallet with my friend at circuit and had no means of paying for either the valves or fuel for my car (the journey to Bangor had used the last of it) I tried to call him but he had left his phone in my car. This day was just getting worse and worse! I owe a massive thank you to the manager at Kwik fit who gave me the valves free of charge as I think he could tell how stressed I was! After leaving I realised that along with Dom’s phone was also his wallet which was a relief but he had no cash! Arghhh! I didn’t know his PIN either but after a quick call to his other half I managed to get his PIN and fill up with fuel to get me back to circuit. Upon arriving we managed to get the tyres all sorted and finally get on our way back home.

I really do owe a massive thank you to Bookatrack who spent ages trying to get me sorted, Matt who got so many phone calls on a Sunday and also for offering to get a massive trailer and come and rescue me, the car and trailer, Dom who had helped me out all weekend and I was hoping to thank him by time in the car and Kwik-fit who without the manager I would probably still be at Anglesey. I also am really sorry for Colin (Shiftspark) who came all the way over to see us running the car to not even get to see it run and for him to have a wasted drive over although it was good to have a catch up!

Matt said I could drop the car off on Monday morning and they would get all of the horrible PAS fluid off from the engine bay and then get the problem fixed. Matt then realised that this was probably the cause of the Idle issue because on it’s way out then the pump might have been taking more load from the engine. I dropped it off on my way to Brands Hatch were I was going to watch the Burpspeed boys run their car for the day. Luckily I didn’t pass my bad luck onto them and I had a really great day which picked back up my spirits and got me all excited again about the car so thank you Tony and Jay! It was also great to meet a few members from here and have a good long chat about the cars!

Sorry for the stupidly long post but just thought I share my unfortunate luck and show that unfortunately not everything goes as well as planned. Anyway I will take the rough with the smooth and learn from it and hopefully next time out all will go to plan! The moral of the story is don’t break any mirrors as it does seem that they do give you bad luck! Well here’s to the next 6 years and 11 months then

Thanks
James
f74b0a69.gif

First time for me taking the bumper off
b78ee528.gif

Trying to organise my tools and work out what was required for the Clio
8e1b3b9a.gif

f096cec1.gif

2bd264cb.gif

62ca5867.gif

2747d72c.gif

c43f7cbe.gif

353b9147.gif

f58a0a6f.gif

ac6e5733.gif

5f6d4e1f.gif

0fae4eb5.gif

2dc431d9.gif

08914942.gif

182 track, Mk7 ST

Such a shame James but at least you've found out what the problems are hopefully. One way to look at it is at least the problems are showing themselves now rather than in a race.

Was good to meet you yesterday and I certainly don't envy the amount of travelling you did over the weekend lol!

172 Race Car

I hope you dont play the lottery coz you'd be wasting your money. Totalnightmare mate but these things happen. Makes the good days even better :approve:

Such a shame James but at least you've found out what the problems are hopefully. One way to look at it is at least the problems are showing themselves now rather than in a race.

Was good to meet you yesterday and I certainly don't envy the amount of travelling you did over the weekend lol!
Thanks Grant, Yes hopefully it shouldn't happen again and I will get a used one off here just in case so that it wouldn't be the end of the day :) Yes that is very true and each thing that happens we will hopefully prevent it from happening again so I am fairly certain I will never forget to check the hub nuts tourques in future :)

Was great to meet you also, as Jay said in their thread your car was going really well when we were watching :)! Sorry I didn't get chance to come say bye, Hopefully see you again at some point.

Haha I was absolutely shattered last night when I got in and managed to fall asleep at my desk which is a first even for me :(
I hope you dont play the lottery coz you'd be wasting your money. Totalnightmare mate but these things happen. Makes the good days even better :approve:
Haha no luckily not :p I might go to the casino this week now though as I must be due some good luck lol! Thanks Jay, Yes I am looking forward to one of those days ;)

Golf GTD Mk7

Colin mentioned you had a few issues. Sorry to hear the day was a bit of a wash out. It's a good job that guy wasn't shouting at you at the end of the day :mad: Sounded like a right prick. Where is the next outing?

Golf GTD Mk7

On a seperate note, what attachment do you use for your drill for the socket to attach? (assuming you're using it for wheel nuts?)

Hey mate - just noticed in your pics that you seem to have a bit of a raised floor on the drivers side

I've been doing some miles in mine recently and my right ankle really hurts holding the throttle on the motorway because without the carpet the angle is stupid
I tried lifting my foot up about 15-20mm and it's loads comfier so I thought about creating some sort of a raised floor
Is that why you've got one? What's it made out of and is it just bolted through the floor to stop it moving?

Oh and also WTF with the bloke at Anglesey?

Last time I was there we arrived pre-8am for sign on and all had the engines running as it was freezing cold and we were using the heaters for warmth - one of my mates had an AX on bodies that was not quiet

Who the hell could be upset by engine noises at Anglesey - it's miles away from anyone!

Clio 182

What an epic read, you really can't make this stuff up! So sorry to hear about the day but as you have said, a few lessons were learnt and I'm sure this is a story you will look back on and have a bit of a laugh over! Roll on the next track day and what brilliant service from the track day organiser and kwik fit!