ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

Maybe the sump is twisted? Did you check it on a flat surface?
Not thought of that but i've never had it off myself! Just ordered a new gasket and will keep in stock incase I need it but it is only a very fine weep!
Sorry, I had to EFA.....

Last dig, honest
Haha lol :)
won't be the sump unless it has a crack, it will be the the rear main bearing cap leaking at the edges
It does definitely weep from the sump around the edges in places but yes it does seem to be leaking from up that way! Will do some investigating now :)

Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

Tweeks have sent me the wrong dog bone mount even though I said it was a twisted one :rolleyes:

The pit board I ordered has arrived and it about 10 times the size I thought it was going to be lol

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!

it will be leaking onto the sump gasket join, not from it

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Sometimes it can be quite misleading where it finds its way from another leak around the lip where the sump and block join and then seeps down other places making it looks like its gone when it isnt.

Mmm okay then I will have another look :) It's only because when I clean it all up then I see it first weeping from the join

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

It may well be the sump seal then, its certainly not unheard of for them to leak.

Can you not get it to Fred to be done properly? Or is time running out for that now?

Personally I think its more than one place! Just don't really have time with all the plans this week :( and I doubt Fred does either

I spoke to him and i'm going to try and see exactly whats happening and then we will go from there :)

Lionel Richie

its the Q secret moddification, keeps all the other cars behind you at bay ;)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

its the Q secret moddification, keeps all the other cars behind you at bay ;)

If he is going to drop oil at the ring, then make sure you fit a Q number plate rotater too, they will charge you for accidents you cause over there, lol

lol :)! We are only talking about a fine mist it's not crazy which is why I wasn't worried lol! Starting to worry now though

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Fit an undertray with a fabric top so it absorbs the odd drops as a temp fix for now?

That's what I was gonna say - just put the standard undertray back on
The material on top of it soaks oil up quite well - and it keeps the engine bay temperatures a bit lower ;)

Fit an undertray with a fabric top so it absorbs the odd drops as a temp fix for now?
Just checked it over and gave it a thrashing and its not weeped any yet but I will take the under tray and monitor it tomorrow :)
That's what I was gonna say - just put the standard undertray back on
The material on top of it soaks oil up quite well - and it keeps the engine bay temperatures a bit lower ;)
I thought the undertray made the engine run warmer but maybe i'm confused :)

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

If he is going to drop oil at the ring, then make sure you fit a Q number plate rotater too, they will charge you for accidents you cause over there, lol

they will charge you if you drop oil (regardless if you cause an accident or not)
a friends starlet blew its turbo half way round, his exhaust is mounted prior to the front passenger wheel, it spewed oil residue over the wheel and down the side of the car.... he was charged

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

they will charge you if you drop oil (regardless if you cause an accident or not)
a friends starlet blew its turbo half way round, his exhaust is mounted prior to the front passenger wheel, it spewed oil residue over the wheel and down the side of the car.... he was charged

I know, been there and done that (friend got charged for dropping fluid when he wasnt, and I got a 6K bill for a barrier on a different trip) they love the english pounds, lol

Reason I mentioned if someone has an accident specifically though was;
couple hundred euros for cleaning up oil = minor inconvenience
thirty grand bill when someone slips on it = major inconvenience

182cup & 172 racecar

Hey, I don't want to be slipping on your oil slick.

When we went to Brands testing earlier in the year, we had an oil leak, sorted it by taping an oil soak pad to the undertray, soaked up enough for us to carry on.

I can bring a couple up to Oulton with me if you like.

182cup & 172 racecar

It does slightly, but after going the gravel once and the gear linkage getting jammed, we run with it on.

Thanks Neil and Chip for the confidence boost lol :p I will make sure it is track worthy before it goes out

Hey, I don't want to be slipping on your oil slick.

When we went to Brands testing earlier in the year, we had an oil leak, sorted it by taping an oil soak pad to the undertray, soaked up enough for us to carry on.

I can bring a couple up to Oulton with me if you like.
Haha don't worry Tony luckily it doesn't seem bad *touch wood* I can't find any after todays drive so hopefully it stays that way!

Yes I remember that and was thinking to do the same myself if it becomes an issue I have packed the under tray but if you could bring one that would be very kind thanks :)

Everything seems okay and all packed up for the testing (hooning) tomorrow! I'm going via Renault to collect a sump gasket and the bolt for the engine but it must be some special bolt as there is no thread for it ;)

Not much planned for tomorrow really just having fun really and make sure the modifications to the cooling system have worked and all the electronic tweeks! I should now have video's will full overlay and all that laa de da!

I will try and write up the last few weeks work tomorrow night :)

BMW Z4

Dan how often can you remove the sump before having to fit a new gasket to it if the gasket was new? I take it you dont apply sealer to the sump gasket.

Evo

I remember seeing this car about this time last year in it's standard road car form up at TDF, I'm really impressed how much has been achieved by car, engineers and driver in that short time. Makes me wonder where this will be in another 12 months...

Good effort.

Evo

Now now let's respect the privacy of the two parties.

Dan how often can you remove the sump before having to fit a new gasket to it if the gasket was new? I take it you dont apply sealer to the sump gasket.
The gaskets only £11ish (Will confirm tomorrow when I collect mine) Worth just changing IMO but that just my opinion :)! My current one is plastered in sealer so I guess it's supposed to be used
I remember seeing this car about this time last year in it's standard road car form up at TDF, I'm really impressed how much has been achieved by car, engineers and driver in that short time. Makes me wonder where this will be in another 12 months...

Good effort.
Haha thanks Ben I remember it sitting with a good 2 feet of arch gap with no engine in lol!

Thank you very much mate means a lot! It's certainly getting to where I want it to be and i'm having lots of fun which is what its all about for me :) Yes I think with my list of small tweeks for winter it should be making good progress and I can't wait!

I hope yours is running well :)
Not where it was last time you saw it, FLOL
PMSL

Lionel Richie

one use only IMO and then bin, only £11-£14 depending where it comes from

Had an awesome day testing today up at Teeside! Its actually a really good circuit and I would compare it to Llandow. Had such a productive day and worked through my list of things I wanted to do :) Done lot's of work on setting the car up and making sure the tyres won't overcook like they did at Donny. Struggling with tyre pressures a little but will sort that out in testing at Oulton.

I have got plenty of video's so will sort them out tomorrow along with a write up from the work i've been doing and the details of the test :)

I've got to dash as the car is going away for it's early christmas pressie to be fitted tomorrow (BTM exhaust :)) I have got to re-prep the car as I won't be collecting it until i'm on my way to Oulton/Ring/Spa so need to make sure its all race ready! I am shattered lol

JohnnyE

ClioSport Club Member
  ITB'd Clio

Good luck at Oulton James im planning on get down there lunch time;)

182cup & 172 racecar

No sealant on sump gasket.

Good luck at Oulton James im planning on get down there lunch time;)
Thanks mate and I look forward to seeing you then :)
Oh I don't know chip I think Ash might go back for some more medicine ROFL :banghead:
:p

P.S Mark have you done Oulton with your data logger yet? Just looking for a track map so I can setup the markers etc :)