ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

No unfortunately not, the valve works by adjusting the pressure depending on how much brake force is applied so at 200psi it will send all of it to each corner but then as that increases it then reduces the pressure to the rears. If you fit a second one the pressure out of the first would be 200psi so the second one wouldn't reduce as it would think the pedal wasn't been pressed hard :(

I hope thats understandable lol

E46 M3 + Ph1 172
Yea understood...

But I meant 2 of the lever type adjusters, rather than your fancy pressure adjusting item :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yeah pedal box is the way to go, you can vary the cylinder sizes front to rear then, as well as adjusting the pivot point of the balance bar.

Ive got a dial in my mk1 so I can adjust the pedal box while im drivingif it feels a bit too much or too little to the rear, Are you allowed that in your series though?

Yeah pedal box is the way to go, you can vary the cylinder sizes front to rear then, as well as adjusting the pivot point of the balance bar.

Ive got a dial in my mk1 so I can adjust the pedal box while im drivingif it feels a bit too much or too little to the rear, Are you allowed that in your series though?
We are allowed the adjuster in car as long as on the min setting it still allows 25% braking force to the rear (So no in a clio)

PS out of interest which pedal box have you fitted to the mk1 Chip :)?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Mine is a cheap and nasty compbrake one that I inherited, TBH its not what I would buy if starting from scratch, works ok but at some point I will probably swap up to a tilton or similar.

Clio 172
I like what your doing James but having had friends get cars dipped and find out there are a load more issues then they bargained for I wouldn't personally go down that route. Good friend had his 'solid shell' Golf Rallye dipped........lets just say it wasn't referred to as solid afterwards.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I like what your doing James but having had friends get cars dipped and find out there are a load more issues then they bargained for I wouldn't personally go down that route. Good friend had his 'solid shell' Golf Rallye dipped........lets just say it wasn't referred to as solid afterwards.

The problem there though wasnt the dipping, it was that he was living in ignorance before.
If James wants to build his car properly, dipping wont cause any problems, it might just show him a few he already has but doesnt know about currently.

Clio 172
I know alot of people with similar stories Chip. I appreciate the Clio is a newer car than alot of the VW's that friends/aquaintances have had dipped but still its alot of outlay and can open up more issues.

This is the sort of thing I would like to swap to later on, and that I will no doubt be going for in my mini I'm building once Ive finished messing around with clios and novas.

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Produ...Balance Bars&gclid=CLD7zfmAx7MCFcrItAodpzQANg
Had a look at that one the other week, for me to keep the pedals far enough away from me I need to go for an underslung one and then I struggle for clearance with my new PAS system :(! Hopefully my new setup will be perfect :)

Yes I have heard a few horror stories, rust on the underside is the only bit that is worrying me but hopefully it shouldn't be too bad!

The problem there though wasnt the dipping, it was that he was living in ignorance before.
If James wants to build his car properly, dipping wont cause any problems, it might just show him a few he already has but doesnt know about currently.
Hopefully no nasty surprises, I am 99.9% sure its never had any paint/damage on the shell so rust is the only concern
I know alot of people with similar stories Chip. I appreciate the Clio is a newer car than alot of the VW's that friends/aquaintances have had dipped but still its alot of outlay and can open up more issues.
I'm still not 100% but I really would like to however i'm not going to rush into it until i've weighed up all the pro's and con's :)

Clio 172
If you've got a list (which I'm sure you have) is it an 'essential' item to get it dipped or can the money be better spent elsewhere? That's what I'd look at.

Yes I have got a list Andy, It's not essential but at some point I want to do it and I am hoping I never have to have the car stripped down as much as it is now so it makes sense to me to do the difficult jobs now and then do other 'bolt on' items on my 'to-do' list when I can afford to

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Had a look at that one the other week, for me to keep the pedals far enough away from me I need to go for an underslung one and then I struggle for clearance with my new PAS system :(! Hopefully my new setup will be perfect :)

Its not too much drama to cut out the bulkhead slightly so that the back end of it pokes into the bay, or just move your seat a little further back which will probably help with weight distribution anyway.

I think the only way for me to work it out is to buy one and then try and I can't risk spending that much and then not getting it to work! Also would have to sort hydraulic clutch issue :(

My seat is already against the rear seat squab lol!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I think the only way for me to work it out is to buy one and then try and I can't risk spending that much and then not getting it to work! Also would have to sort hydraulic clutch issue :(

My seat is already against the rear seat squab lol!

You can buy pedal boxes for either cable or hydraulic clutch, my current one uses cable, but I will have to convert it to hydraulic (or buy a different one) when I go to the honda gearbox as that is hydraulic.

Clio172cup rally car
This is bias setup I've got in my car
4ugemu4u.jpg

Really simple, not sure if your allowed this in the tin tops as I'm sure I read somewhere that it has to be out of drivers reach

How much weight do you reckon dipping will save James?
Some people have said 20kg's and other have said 40kg's I'm not too sure but any weight saving will help :)
This is bias setup I've got in my car
4ugemu4u.jpg

Really simple, not sure if your allowed this in the tin tops as I'm sure I read somewhere that it has to be out of drivers reach
Looks very complex/expensive lol! Yes we do :(
Ash do you have a wife, better run the dipping past her first!
Not yet Chris ;) Haha I don't tell my girlfriend anything about the car she has zero interest!

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
What type of bias valve are you thinking of using James? I had thought about this but probably just going to go with the std cup bias valve for now.

It's a tillet screw type proportioning valve, if you aren't in a rush then hold off and I will let you know if it works or not in March which is when the first shakedown test will be

Yes I was expecting it too lol! Knowing my luck it will rain on the way home. It sounded like they put a liquid on that helps for a couple of days but I will go down to collect the shell on the morning and get it straight to the bodyshop and in the oven that day :)

Golf GTD Mk7
They can coat it in anti corrosion stuff first. That's what they did with my block. Can you not get it powder coated James?

They can coat it in anti corrosion stuff first. That's what they did with my block. Can you not get it powder coated James?
They offer E-coating but it's over twice the price of the dipping itself. Mainly designed for road cars that will constantly be seeing salt, water etc. They have assured me they virtually never E coat race cars. I guess you could powdercoat the whole shell but it's a lot heavier and I wouldn't be able to just touch it up myself to repair any damage
Thanks for the link mate :) I actually went and found it after you mentioned this morning and read through it all! Does anyone know if he sold it because of an issue with the dipping? He got it done at the same place that I have been looking at

Golf GTD Mk7
Nah he sold it. Was gutted for him as it could have been epic. Bits of the build are scattered around CS members. I've got his wheels ;) did you have a look at the top mounts he was going to use?

Yes it did sound like it would be a rather nice car when complete :)

None of the pictures worked in the thread unfortunately :( It sounded like he was going to use the AST BMW ones and then swapped to Scooby one's. The top mounts on both are very similar from what I have seen before just the scooby ones have a slightly lower PCD so probably easier to fit into the clio turret :)

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
If I was going to go this far (for a time I did consider it) I would go the full hog and get it E-coated, you'll never be able to get paint everywhere if it's done conventionally so it would be feasible for corrosion to set in somewhere without you knowing about it, granted it's a race car so perhaps not that big a deal.