ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Something similar to above would be a good option as it gives the added benefit of taking play out of the lower joints. Would be good to see what someone like MK Motorsport could come up with for clio's.

IIRC there isn't much he can do apart from the windows with regards to weight up top? Unless he's feeling flush and puts fibre glass panels all round :) Roof is a no no though afaik.
If/when I do lightweight panels (Will be at least next winter) I will just do the CF one's as for the full kit they aren't much more expensive than fibreglass and they are silly light!
Sure you weren't bouncing back onto the track James which is why it lifted a front wheel?
Haha no this was when I was strictly on the tarmac ;)
Lower the engine?
What's with the name change Sam it's tripping me out ;)

Well thats what the mk2 cup racers did with their engine mounts but I can't make them work with the JC5 and can't spend that sort of money either :(
I agree it was merely a wild suggestion.

Lower everything possible. On WRC cars the master cylinders are under the peddle box for example.
Cylinder positions aren't changing now lol! Just ordered some bits for them today :) Lets just say Fred will approve!
That's a fair point. Most racing drivers won't weigh much more than 10stone. Cheapest way to lose net weight Ash ;)
If I was a racing driver then I'm sure I would take it more seriously but its only a hobby so I will just make the clio as good as I can to drag my lardy arse around :D lol
Good point. Lowering all fluid reservoirs also might be useful. Maybe forward behind the bumper?
Coolant header tank has to stay above all pipes anyway and that is the only tank left as my PAS is now fully electric
just a thought but wouldn't it be better to make adjustable low arms then piss about with strut tops but one thing for sure I'm with James on this one that well he's where he is now with the car striped he may aswell make it so everything is adjustable if he haded of striped the car then I'd be saying seat time and find the very best set up for as many tracks as possible but as the car striped may as well do everything he can to improve it.
I like it when people agree with me thanks :)!

As Chip says clearance is the issue :( I am seeing someone about it tomorrow so will see what they come up with
Not really any other options apart from around the GB maybe if other bits are relocated. Would the small weight make much difference in front of the front axle? Lighter rad to counteract it, plus it might help with cooling.
Yes Jonny got to change the rad anyway so just going with an alloy jobbie but it's got more fluid capacity so will be heavier anyway :(
rather than concetrating on the top, maybe investigate moving the wheel position at the bottom:

60trainavie1.jpg

i`ve just got some adjustable wishbone for mine (106, not this clio tat haha) it retains std suspension pickups and still allows a bit of adjustment....
Wow very nice Stu! Did you make them? That does look identical to a clio subframe obviously share the same tat :rasp:

Not mine... If i was doing them id run another adjustable rod end on the front subframe pick up so you can play about with caster and camber a bit more than that design allows...

Clio172cup rally car
Them wishbones are pn a clio 172 rally car in France and are actually from the the clio maxi,

my wishbones from pure Motorsport are nearly finished. As soon as they arrive ill stick some pics up, good thing about the pure wishbones is both arms are adjustable like chip suggested :)

Golf GTD Mk7
Problem with that is he hasn't got the room at the front currently to move it that far at the bottom.
I did point out to him that the advantage of doing the bottom is effectively moving the c of g backwards of the axle line too, and extending the wheelbase slightly would help with stability in faster corners too.

What do the regs say about adjusting the wheel base? Thought it wasn't allowed outside of manufacturers spec? Or is that just width?

Not mine... If i was doing them id run another adjustable rod end on the front subframe pick up so you can play about with caster and camber a bit more than that design allows...
Yes I think double adjustable would be ideal as then you can alter camber, caster and track width
Them wishbones are pn a clio 172 rally car in France and are actually from the the clio maxi,

my wishbones from pure Motorsport are nearly finished. As soon as they arrive ill stick some pics up, good thing about the pure wishbones is both arms are adjustable like chip suggested :)
Ahh they look very expensive lol! That would be great Andrew if you can :) I'm speaking with Nick tomorrow anyway so was going to ask how they were getting on!
What do the regs say about adjusting the wheel base? Thought it wasn't allowed outside of manufacturers spec? Or is that just width?
As Mark initially said wheel base is 2.5% or 5cm which ever is the lesser, Track width is whatever you want if you were to physically adjust it but spacers are a max of 25mm with no stacking of spacers so can't use a 5mm and 10mm for example
Actually just checked and that wheelbase restriction is for sprinting only no mention of it for circuit racing.
When I checked yesterday I'm sure I read it for racing too Mark

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Going for a high maintenance Gripper diff ;-) going from the ATB to this will make a big difference.

Yes will be doing as long as the quaife sells :)! Was chatting about it today and wasn't really sure how much difference it will make, the main reason for me is to alter the CW+P ratio

How bad is the maintenance? I haven't even checked it out just thought I will forget it and worry next winter lol

Renault 5 Turbo
Yes will be doing as long as the quaife sells :)! Was chatting about it today and wasn't really sure how much difference it will make, the main reason for me is to alter the CW+P ratio

How bad is the maintenance? I haven't even checked it out just thought I will forget it and worry next winter lol

I spoke to Martin at reyland about these a few weeks ago, and he said that some people have a tendency to over tighten them, therefore they need maintaining more frequently, but if they are correctly setup, then it'll prolong the life more.

Obviously it goes a bit deeper than that but if you want to know more give him a bell.

Right that is interesting, I think gripper will just set it up the first time and then hopefully it should be okay and suited to what i'm doing but I will give Martin a call and see what they recommend as its always better to have a second opinion :)

Thanks Matt

Renault 5 Turbo
Right that is interesting, I think gripper will just set it up the first time and then hopefully it should be okay and suited to what i'm doing but I will give Martin a call and see what they recommend as its always better to have a second opinion :)

Thanks Matt

No worries :)

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Going for a high maintenance Gripper diff ;-) going from the ATB to this will make a big difference.

Performance - Gripper over the quaife anyday. Yes will need rebuilding every season or 2 but worth it. Regards Leaking i had this on mine but after the latest rebuild it stopped and never happened since. Seal can be funny but a bit os sealant should work.

Good to hear as I still wasn't convinced there will be much in it :)

Yeah the box will need rebuilding too I guess when its starts to get more power through it so won't be too bad!

Radical SR3
Did you keep the road legal elements for indicators etc? Got me thinking about the central switch box.

Also...cup spoiler is around 4kg but normal one is less than a kilo (i think someone asked that)

It was the plan about this time last year but it was then pretty much discounted as the car would of needed loads of little things to be road legal never mind undrivable on the road lol! I wouldn't want to be without indicators anyway :)

Yes Cup spoiler will be going when I fit the rear polycarb :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Agreed, proper hardcore!

Sam, have you ever tried an old mini on straight cut drops? That's a truly nutty sound!

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Going to collect my gearbox from gripper on Friday, unfortunately it will be several months before it makes any noise :(
I've had 2 cars with straight cut gearboxes but not had one with a straight cut final drive so this will be even louder :D, childish i know lol

gripper diffs are awesome! Always amazes me just how well my dads 230bhp r5 gt turbo race car gets off the line and out of second or first gear hairpins.

Especially when all of the power comes in at once and it just grips, I'd say it's the cars best modification to date.