ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Black 1.2 16v. Not for long....

Not posted in a good while as not been able to get online. but anyway this is whats new. as mentioned above de wipered the car. tinted red rear lights and spacers all round

WP_20130928_001_zpsd895fb27.jpg

WP_20130922_005_zpsb2836ac7.jpg

also maybe noting to be proud of but hit a milestone ;)

WP_20131012_006_zps8794642d.jpg

Bought myself a donor dashboard and a pillars. ill reveal once finished :)

Finally got round to getting some new rubber for my new alloys and got them on the car and also tinted my fog lights.

WP_20131018_009_zpseb9c9296.jpg

But unfortunately due to some idiot in a corsa my passenger side wheel got severely damaged and was letting air out.

WP_20131103_001_zps5230f282.jpg

Luckily enough though i didnt hang around and got it fixed and sprayed and back on the car.

altAqXkixIy3AQq1lKGHm2t1Wv-6JJsxH_618lGxMFnnz7C_jpg_zpsb9b07027.jpg

altAiHnD6UHzzBT6wcFPEaJnbfVfd36_saEneTtTFIQEWpj_jpg_zpsd610c1b3.jpg

altAlkF08KJdx8JMhP6D8sttcJMLL5zSZZmRbvoKJeSImGN_jpg_zps0a5e5b42.jpg

valve will be replaced.

altAm2X8QzcZJvx9HIM8-VzfqlD7f1PCv-QblSQoTisABGi_jpg_zps1b867480.jpg

altAuZ2qZPyiDCVkKwyakXapgX7HcnpFKZEXBbLE67p4Q5z_jpg_zpsfd0c8a65.jpg

also have bought a couple of things from kode shop but ill show once everything is fitted.

Had a bit of a busy day today and to be honest quite a stressful and difficult day just on one thing. My donor dashboard. Now to reveal what it was for, i apologize for the crappy phone quality pic but ill take a better one once the camera is charged but here it is. feel free to give your thoughts and opinions people.

WP_20131118_0051_zps2621e27c.jpg

Suede fabric wrapped dash and a pillars :)

Looking good! well done mate

As above, I'm guessing you did the wrap yourself? Any prior experience and what sort of procedure is involved?

I'm almost tempted to have a go (with some help from my paint/body work finishing guy) as most of the quotes I'm getting to wrap my car are almost as much as a respray!!

Also where did you get your suede from for the dash?

Looking good! well done mate

As above, I'm guessing you did the wrap yourself? Any prior experience and what sort of procedure is involved?

I'm almost tempted to have a go (with some help from my paint/body work finishing guy) as most of the quotes I'm getting to wrap my car are almost as much as a respray!!

Also where did you get your suede from for the dash?

Thanks mate.

Me and my brother both done the wrap. My brother has a lot of experience with vinyl wrap and tinting film as he does them both as homers. So really without him my car would probably still be black.

The procedure its self consisted of a 5 day project doing a single panel at a time.

What you need to do is first decide on what panel you want to start on (would recommend leaving the bumpers till last and small trim and boot lid to near the end) Then cut out a piece of vinyl leaving a couple of inches bigger than the panel to play with as the vinyl might shrink once you use heat. You will need to make sure that the panel you are working on is immaculate and completely degreased or the vinyl will start to react and bubble. Once you have this done you will definitely need another pair of hands as your going to need someone to hold the vinyl straight as you un peel the backing off.

With the backing off you will need to hold the vinyl just in front of the panel (best to get the person helping to do this as your going to be busy) but not touching the panel. Start applying a low heat on the centre of the vinyl and slowly get the centre of the vinyl to touch the centre of the panel. Once touching work out wards creating a smooth straight line across the centre of the vinyl (this is your starting line) once you are happy with how this looks use the squeedgie and start working your way upwards to cover the top of the panels make sure your heat gun is is in front of the vinyl and pointing to wards the direction you are applying. In some cases you will have to get the person holding the vinyl to pull slightly just so you can get it round or over curves. Once you have covered from the centre up your helper can now let go of the vinyl as it all should be completely stuck down. to make sure just keep applying a low heat with the heat gun all over the just applied area. Now you have another free set of hands again. when you are working downwards its basically the same procedure but have the person helping holding the heat gun because if there are any curves or bumps on the way down you will have t pull the film down gently and round them.

Once you are happy and the panel is covered simply cut round the edge of the panel to get rid of the excess. Then use the side of your squeedgy and flaten the vinyl round the edge of the panel so its wrapped round and you dont see it between the panel gaps.

Now for the the rear quarter panel that as you know goes from the roof round the door to the back of the car then all the way round and to the start of the car under the door. what i would recommend doing is getting a large piece of vinyl and covering the whole side of the car but not the front quarter panel. (this was a 3 person job for me) once covered and done as above you will be able to just cut round the panels and tuck the vinyl in the gaps. You can either do it this way or the trickier way where when your holding the large piece of vinyl against the side of the car you cut out a piece that will cover the rear quarter and not the door. but this way means their is a lot of stretching round corners. but on the plus side before you peel the backing paper off you have just cut the piece exactly the correct size for the door.

Now to stretch round corners. When coming to an awkward corner in the body work such as the panel i have just mentioned. you will have to apply heat on the side of the vinyl that your bending in wards. whilst pulling the very end edge of the vinyl off the car and on till you get it to the desired place. this can be really difficult also dont let the vinyl shrink and dont let the vinyl miss shape or you will get a massive crease in the bend.

To get rid of creases simple pull the creased bit apart and apply heat this should then make the dissapear but the vinyl has shrunk slightly so that you do need to watch out for.

When applying heat always move the heat gun in a circular motion or the vinyl wont be able to cope and can end up creating holes. Also if you heat up and stretch to far the vinyl will lose its colour.

For doing fiddly bits like bumpers. you can get away with doing it in seperate pieces

DSCF0054_zps453b55aa.jpg

The bumper mouldings as shown come in free pieces but if its a sport model you dont need to worry about this. The plastic strip in between the front of the bumper can also be done separately.

If their is a hole or that that you have wrapped over then once completely stuck down and moulded to the body then pierce a hole in the centre of the hole and make 4 lines equally towards near enough the outer edge and just fold under the body work.

If you do end up getting bubbles in the wrap on panels take a sharp blade and pierce a small hole in the end of the bubble then flatten out.

Some vinyl is better to be used with water sprayed on the back of it which makes it much easier to work with and easier to move around when needed instead if it sticking constantly.

Now things needed for the wrap

The wrap ( make sure you have measured the car accurately before hand ) would recommend giving your self an extra metre or two.
Plenty of sharp cutting scalpel blades
Plenty of squeegees
Degreaser
Plenty of microfibre clothes
Panel wipe
Heat gun
Magnets to hold the vinyl to the bodywork in paces can be handy aswell

You can get everything from http://www.mdpsupplies.co.uk/index.asp

Really all you need is time and patience. cant really be rushed if you want to make a good job.

I got the dash board fabric off of ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peel-Stic...?pt=UK_Crafts_Fabric&var=&hash=item3f29b726b9

Hope all of this was a help to you and for any one else that was interested.

That is probably the best reply I could have hoped for! Thanks mate :)

Will see if I can draft in a couple of people to help out.

What sort of cost at you looking at for materials etc as a rough guide?

That is probably the best reply I could have hoped for! Thanks mate :)

Will see if I can draft in a couple of people to help out.

What sort of cost at you looking at for materials etc as a rough guide?

Thats alright mate. Thought i would be as helpful as possible :)

Material costs varies on colours and finishes. e.g. colours will cost slightly more than say black or white. same as matte will cost more than gloss. For my vinyl and all the scalpels and squeegees and that it came to roughly £150 which i was more than happy to pay

The Material i used was http://www.mdpsupplies.co.uk/ritramaoseries48.asp as you can see their are a fair amount of colours to choose from. These are all the other types you of material you can choose from http://www.mdpsupplies.co.uk/categories/gloss-sign-vinyl.asp aswell as all the different catagories on the side.

The wrap looks absolutely top class mate. Was doing the dash a dash-out job?

Yeah mate dash out. you could probably do it with the dash in the car but i wanted to tuck the fabric round all the panels so their were no bits of the grey plastic showing. The top half of the dash was easy enough to remove which was good. im going to try the bottom half of the dash too but just do that in the car.

Love this colour! Looks so good wrapped. Few questions.. Might be silly..

Does the wrap wash the exact same as a normal car?
Will any imprefections such as scrapes show up on the car once wrapped?
How did you decide on this colour?

If anything its alot easier to clean which is a bonus. Scrapes shouldn't show up that bad depending how bad the scrape is. But lacquer peel will show through and the wrap wont cover rust as it wont stick properly. fine

If anything its alot easier to clean which is a bonus. Scrapes shouldn't show up that bad depending how bad the scrape is. But lacquer peel will show through and the wrap wont cover rust as it wont stick properly. fine

Thanks for the information mate! Seeing this colour on your clio as really put me in the notion for something different when I get my new clio, money dependent of course!

Well as mentioned in the thread. My wrap cost roughly £150 for materials. But to get it done by someone it will cost roughly around the £600 range. But really i love the colour of mine its a real head turner :).

I think this could be the end of this thread. Im thinking of putting back to standard and selling as i have been quoted £580 a year for a 172. And when i seen that. My face lit up. So i think that one of them could be the next car on the driveway. :)

Quick update. Clutch has been replaced and car has just passed its m.o.t only got one advisory which was a driver side front brake pipe so got that fixed as well. Next on the list i think will be a new timing belt as its due one. More pics will be uploaded tomorrow probably as in going to be giving the car a good clean inside and out and repairing the front bumper (temporary fix) and re fitting my splitter.

Monaco
Quick update. Clutch has been replaced and car has just passed its m.o.t only got one advisory which was a driver side front brake pipe so got that fixed as well. Next on the list i think will be a new timing belt as its due one. More pics will be uploaded tomorrow probably as in going to be giving the car a good clean inside and out and repairing the front bumper (temporary fix) and re fitting my splitter.

Nice work keeping her well maintained. That 1.2 16v engine wants for a few things but is a good sturdy runner if looked after. I used to live/drive my 1.2 16v in Dundee, there some really helpful people and good garages around. If I'm back up I'll give you a shout. We could get a bit of a meet together.

Are there many nicely modded clios about at the moment? When I live there I knew them all :)

Cheers mate, has a few more bits of work here and their that need done. But its been a great car for the past year.

Just had a look at your thread. Looks really clean. Prefer the ph3 front bumper. Looks so much better.

Yeah a meet would be good. We can see if we can get one organised on her somehow.

Seen a couple of decent and nice examples going about at nights and that.

A small update, my headlight bulbs went so thought id get a full set of Yellow french style bulbs. Probably not to everyones taste but i really like them. Really give off a bright light when driving also and are really good in fog.

WP_20140115_0051_zpscff203bc.jpg

Clio RS 200 Gordini
Tuesday came and the wrapping started. 7.45 got the car all de-tarred and cleaned and started straight away and got the bonnet done in an hour.

DSCF0009_zps2b5844b5.jpg

After the bonnet got another two pieces of vinyl cut and got the two front wings done

DSCF0010_zpsdf28ffa7.jpg

DSCF0011_zps8f34cabb.jpg

after that the rear quarter panel got covered in vinyl and smoothed as much as possible and cut roughly to shape

DSCF0013_zps88a56438.jpg

DSCF0014_zps5aa09de1.jpg

and then after a lot of pulling stretching and smoothing we got that finished and also managed to get the door done as well

DSCF0015_zpse022fd03.jpg

with the handle removed at the time we got that wrapped as well and then fitted it back on

DSCF0016_zps25d57e72.jpg

next to do will be boot lid, door mirror then on the driver side the petrol cap and hopefully door and rear quarter panel.

Should have had it plasti-dipped professionally!

A grey one
Had a bit of a busy day today and to be honest quite a stressful and difficult day just on one thing. My donor dashboard. Now to reveal what it was for, i apologize for the crappy phone quality pic but ill take a better one once the camera is charged but here it is. feel free to give your thoughts and opinions people.

WP_20131118_0051_zps2621e27c.jpg

Suede fabric wrapped dash and a pillars :)

Got any more photos of this ?