ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Black unpainted strip on 172/182 bumper

Already looked guys. It does appear to be held on with clips, it just isnt at all obvious how to unclip them without breaking anything.

Ive tried squeezing them while pushing the strip from behind, but it doesnt budge. I might be able to prise it, but dont want to scratch the bumper in trying, so I need to know the correct way to disassemble it.

Ive got a nasty feeling that the rear bumper needs to come off but I would rather have someone confirm this before I start pulling the rest of the car apart.

Quote: Originally posted by matty w on 29 August 2005
why dont you mask the rest of the bumper out to blow the strip in

Because if there is a proper way to assemble something, then there is a proper way to disassemble it. Id rather take it apart in the proper way to repaint it seperately from the car than risk damaging something by prising away at it.

Maybe one of the people who has changed their mk1 172 bumper to a mk2 one knows the answer?

Chocolate Bar™

it has plastic wedges that push into place. only way to remove it would be to clamp them together whilst pushing it out, but it wouldnt be easy as there is about 10clips if i remember correctly.

tiTTy & SV650

Because if there is a proper way to assemble something, then there is a proper way to disassemble it.

well i can see why u wanna do it properly but that statement aint true at all unfortunately. Snap fits will often snap off when u try to remove something. Also most things nowadays are ultrasonically welded shut and you CANNOT disassemble them without wrecking the casing. todays lesson is now over :oops:

Quote: Originally posted by rory182 on 29 August 2005
Because if there is a proper way to assemble something, then there is a proper way to disassemble it. well i can see why u wanna do it properly but that statement aint true at all unfortunately. Snap fits will often snap off when u try to remove something. Also most things nowadays are ultrasonically welded shut and you CANNOT disassemble them without wrecking the casing. todays lesson is now over :oops:

Yes, clips will often snap off...if you dont release them correctly, hence the reason I am asking for the correct way. Thanks for the lesson lol.

Middo & Clarkie - thanks, just what I was after.

Cheers

Chocolate Bar™

when i bought my bumper the person sorted me a new strip and charged me a tenner for it, saying thats how much it had cost him for renault. my local dealer wanted to charge me 24 quid for it though.

so if you do break it, it shouldnt cost the earth to replace :)