ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BMW 325 Quicker than a Cup

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

Quote: Originally posted by Fred2001Dynamic on 13 September 2005

Quote: Originally posted by y0z2a on 13 September 2005

you drive like a fairy.

*runs*

;-)

/y0z

agrees with business partner!!! Mark, you need to come to one of our tuition sessions!!!
Yep i third that! lol! The tution was spot on, but its funny how much you learn on your own without some1 dictating to you.

Get practicing heel and toe, itll allow for a smoother transition between braking and getting bak on the power.

Flame Red (172)

ITS IMPOSSSSSSSIIBLEEE

I ALREADY BURNED THE HELL OF A 330...A NEW MODEL TO(2004),WITH MY 172 mk2...THIS DRIVER IS VERY DUMB WITH HIS SHIFTINGGGG:eek:

Quote: Originally posted by Mack on 13 September 2005
Just saw this video and wondered do both cars look genuine speeds, ie cup going slow or 325 moddedd. The 325 by all rights should be slower than the cup but the vid says other wise??http://www.silcs.co.uk/turbo/cliobmw.wmvU color=#006699http://www.silcs.co.uk/turbo/cliobmw.wmv/U Any videos disproving the above would be welcome, lol so I can go back to them.<FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #407db6">
Im not trying to fire up any cup lovers either, I love the car.

Thats my mk1 172 in that video clip and the BMW belongs to some bloke who i got talking to on the MG-Xpower forums. In that clip, the Clio is totally standard and according to the BMW driver, his car was standard too.

Ive got the full version of that 172 video clip - Ive just looked at it now and as far as Im concerned, theres nothing wrong with the gear changes and no audible wheelspin. I ran several 14.8 second 1/4 miles in that car when it was standard and 14.6s after a de-cat. The total length of the video clip i have is 17 seconds, which is about right for a standard mk1 0-100. The speedo on that particular car was within 0.5mph when checked with GPS.

So, whether its a fraction of a second quicker or slower than a BMW 325 is irrelevant. Does it really matter?!

MKIII 138

Quote: Originally posted by Rhys on 14 September 2005

Quote: Originally posted by Mack on 13 September 2005

Just saw this video and wondered do both cars look genuine speeds, ie cup going slow or 325 moddedd. The 325 by all rights should be slower than the cup but the vid says other wise??

http://www.silcs.co.uk/turbo/cliobmw.wmvU color=#006699http://www.silcs.co.uk/turbo/cliobmw.wmv/U

Any videos disproving the above would be welcome, lol so I can go back to them.<FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #407db6">
Im not trying to fire up any cup lovers either, I love the car.

Thats my mk1 172 in that video clip and the BMW belongs to some bloke who i got talking to on the MG-Xpower forums. In that clip, the Clio is totally standard and according to the BMW driver, his car was standard too.

Ive got the full version of that 172 video clip - Ive just looked at it now and as far as Im concerned, theres nothing wrong with the gear changes and no audible wheelspin. I ran several 14.8 second 1/4 miles in that car when it was standard and 14.6s after a de-cat. The total length of the video clip i have is 17 seconds, which is about right for a standard mk1 0-100. The speedo on that particular car was within 0.5mph when checked with GPS.

So, whether its a fraction of a second quicker or slower than a BMW 325 is irrelevant. Does it really matter?!
fair point. but a cup would be faster, better suspension puts down power better and 80-90kilos lighter would deffo beat a 325i.

imo of course.

172, Tiguan

Quote: Originally posted by AJRMOTORSPORT on 14 September 2005Quote: Originally posted by jon_r on 14 September 2005Quote: Originally posted by AJRMOTORSPORT on 14 September 2005 Quote: Originally posted by jon_r on 14 September 2005lol. Freds already been to one of mine - he looked a bit white when he got out the car ;) Ah memories.Ill take you out jon, see how white i can get you. lol! Nah, i honestly wouldnt mind making the trip down to a decent trackday.

Ill make sure to return the favour though :D Hopefully ill start to do them regularly soon with the new car.LOL.do your worst. Whats the new car?

Not sure yet, Ive managed to round it down to about 20 cars that change everyday. lol.

As it happens, I also have a video of the same mk1 172 against a Cup to naughty speeds and.....the Cup was faster, particularly between 60mph and 100mph. I doubt the suspension has much to do with acceleration, but the 90kg definitely made a difference!

MKIII 138

As it happens, I also have a video of the same mk1 172 against a Cup to naughty speeds and.....the Cup was faster, particularly between 60mph and 100mph. I doubt the suspension has much to do with acceleration, but the 90kg definitely made a difference!
yup i know people rant about there being no diffo between 172s but there wrong. i have just sold my 172MKII which i owned for nearly two years (a quick one aswell ) and bought a 172cup with just 11k miles its not even run in yet and its deffo quicker not just by a bit either, its more responsive and its at the point where a quick ankle flex will push you from 30mph in a village to 40mph with ease so you have to be careful.

it handles with more poise and it sharper to drive.

Markcup, a 172 cup, even equipped with that oh so devastating panel filter, im sorry to say is not in the same league as an M3, had the M3 given it more effort or had a better driver, he would have pasted you, end of.

As for you catching him in the twisties, thats really relevant to how a mk1 would do against a 325 0-100 in a straight line. :confused:

cups are nippy, theyre not supercars! suppose anyone with a cup will argue otherwise though lol.

Like i said, i dont disagree that the cup should have a 325, it just amused me you put a cup in the same class as an M3.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

The M3 driver seemed to think that was where it belonged, well thats what he said to me afterwards anyway.

LOL at this thread...some people just cant accept that Cups are devastatingly capable, very user friendly machines ;)

RS-1, Bebop, CTR

Let us see :)

[Edited by Loopz on 14 September 2005 at 1:11pm]

Quote: Originally posted by Loopz on 14 September 2005
Quote: Originally posted by Rhys on 14 September 2005 As it happens, I also have a video of the same mk1 172 against a Cup to naughty speeds and.....the Cup was faster, particularly between 60mph and 100mph. I doubt the suspension has much to do with acceleration, but the 90kg definitely made a difference!
[/QUOTE] Let us see :)

[Edited by Loopz on 14 September 2005 at 1:11pm]

Id better not post it as I think it might breach one or more Cliosport forum rule :oops: I think the thing to remember is that a Cup is a bit lighter than a mk1 172, so therefore a bit faster. Dont really need a video to demonstrate this :)

Dooby

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup

What about the vid of the guy goin round the ring in a black 182, sitting on the arse of a red 300bhp e30 m3

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

Quote: Originally posted by Hector on 14 September 2005

Markcup, a 172 cup, even equipped with that oh so devastating panel filter, im sorry to say is not in the same league as an M3, had the M3 given it more effort or had a better driver, he would have pasted you, end of.

As for you catching him in the twisties, thats really relevant to how a mk1 would do against a 325 0-100 in a straight line. :confused:

cups are nippy, theyre not supercars! suppose anyone with a cup will argue otherwise though lol.

Like i said, i dont disagree that the cup should have a 325, it just amused me you put a cup in the same class as an M3.
At last someone who agrees with me

ian

MKIII 138

Quote: Originally posted by ian 182 on 14 September 2005

Quote: Originally posted by Hector on 14 September 2005

At last someone who agrees with me

ian
how much BHP would you need to keep up with a M3 in a cup ?

ohh sure on the track M3s are fast but on the road there sh*t slow.. call it grown up or sensible, intelligent blah blah but every high powered £40,000k sports saloon i see is driven by an exec who is at least 40yrs old and usually women, it wouldnt matter if they had 100000 bhp a.) they wouldnt use it b>) if they did they wouldnt use it properly.

and yes M3s are seriously quick in a straight line much more so than any clio.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

The age of some doesnt take away the fact that its a quick car.My father in law takes every opportunity to paste me in his 535D and hes in his 50s

I reckon you would only need a bit more than 200 bhp to keep with an m3,but then it would only work until about 80 and it would pull away agin

ian

MKIII 138

The age of some doesnt take away the fact that its a quick car.My father in law takes every opportunity to paste me in his 535D and hes in his 50s

I reckon you would only need a bit more than 200 bhp to keep with an m3,but then it would only work until about 80 and it would pull away agin

ian

nah.. i rekon a genuine 210bhp cup would keep up until 100 if not more.

ohhh...

http://www.cliosport.net/specs/clio172mk1.asphttp://www.cliosport.net/specs/clio172mk1.asp

ph 1 172 = 1035 kg kerb weight

172 cup = 1020 kg kerb weight
those are Wrong it also has the MKII172 lighter than it is by far it claims it is 1035 kerb weight lol !! not a chance.

the MK1 172 is 1090 kgs. certainly not 1035 and the MKII 172 isnt 1035 either. just cos it looks smaller doesnt mean its any lighter. remove xenons out of the equation and climate etc.. and you will arrive at the same figure 1090kgs.

however the 172 CUP is 1021kgs hence the reason its 89kgs lighter. and much quicker for it (and built like crap)

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

If you can find me a clio with a genuine 210bhp and it will hit 100 in under 13 seconds ill give you the money to go and buy it.

ian

Quote: Originally posted by JayGTT on 14 September 2005

http://www.cliosport.net/specs/clio172mk1.asphttp://www.cliosport.net/specs/clio172mk1.asp

ph 1 172 = 1035 kg kerb weight

172 cup = 1020 kg kerb weight

You were saying?

Mark 1 172

1093 kgs (with alloy bonnet)
1100 kgs (without alloy bonnet)
These measurements were taken from a car with a full tank of fuel and do not include the driver

Mark 2 172

1120 kgs
These measurements were taken from a car with a full tank of fuel and do not include the driver

MKIII 138

If you can find me a clio with a genuine 210bhp and it will hit 100 in under 13 seconds ill give you the money to go and buy it.

ian
hehe, true. i guess 100mph in 13 secs would be a bit of a stretch unless you had a 240/250hp clio with LSD. but lozzas cup did a low 5 to 60 so at least a slightly modded cup can keep with one to 60 i think once on the roll round a twisty track it wouldnt be a white wash which is an incredible complement considering its germans finests supercar and reno cheapest supermini.

172, Tiguan

Quote: Originally posted by dooby182 on 14 September 2005
What about the vid of the guy goin round the ring in a black 182, sitting on the arse of a red 300bhp e30 m3

That was me.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

Quote: Originally posted by ian 182 on 14 September 2005If you can find me a clio with a genuine 210bhp and it will hit 100 in under 13 seconds ill give you the money to go and buy it.ian

Are mk1s allowed? ;) 216bhp - 13.4@104

[Edited by Adams_16v on 9/14/2005 6:47:20 PM]

ian

My Cup did mailto:14.2@101">14.2@101 with only 181 hp, we will see what it does with 205-210 hp.

lol, ian at least someone on here is sensible about their car, cant believe some peoples views on here. 172cup 0-60 time ~ 6.6 quickest. M3 ~ 5ish?! hmmmm.... after 60 im sure the M3 would embarrass it even further. For a cup to get a 0-60 time of 5 seconds, i wouldve thought it would need a fair bit more than 220hp.

Also, what does the age of the driver and HOW they drive it have to do with the cars performance?! Were talking about the cars here not the stereotype of the owners!

i saw a newer style M3 hold an R34 skyline GTR a while back, sure no one would dare claim a cup could accomplish this!

TDI tyre shreader

Blah blah blah, and this is why cliosport.net is such the great place that it is today.

172 cup

Quote: Originally posted by Jones on 15 September 2005

Blah blah blah, and this is why cliosport.net is such the great place that it is today.
They dont call it a discussion forum for nothing.