ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BMW 325 Quicker than a Cup

BMW 328 Ci

oh yea misread that a bit :/

"My car vs a 172 CUP (actually a mk1 clio but it has the alloy bonnet so same weight give or take)."

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

Ive got video of my 172 Cup chasing down and going past an M3 convertible around Goodwood (and he was driving 8-9/10 effort too) if anyone can host it...would that help?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

http://rapidshare.de/files/5067635/Pass_M3.wmv.htmlHere it is then. Me behind the wheel, and Jon-rs Uncle (whos an instructor at Goodwood) talking me round. He gave me around 6 seconds on that session, so I was able to reel the M3 in.

They may have 320bhp, but the covertible weighs about 1700kgs IIRC, and it was only at the very top of 4th that he really started to make any ground. By that point he was then on his brakes meaning I had to brake about 50m too early and could literally just roll up behind :D

Warning: file is approx 9mb
Just realised that you have to wait 15 secounds or so once the page has loaded...theres a counter right at the bottom.

[Edited by MarkCup on 13 September 2005 at 9:55pm]

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

I been after him for 7 laps...and hed been going round me all morning so I was pretty determined.

The cones are ok, but no substitute for having someone who knows the circuit like the back of their hand sat next to you.

Ooops...back on topic...BMW 325 quicker than a Cup? With 120 bhp less than this one? ROFPMSL...;)

[Edited by MarkCup on 13 September 2005 at 10:07pm]

e60 M5 -172- dciheid

nice one Mark, sound advice for the corner tackling i have to say, what mods is your cup running?

18-19 + secs to 100? :confused:

Hes also got the weight wrong, a mark 1 172 weighs 1093 kg with no driver and a full tank of petrol so with him in it and not much petrol its going to be 1150 +.

Lionel Richie

Quote: Originally posted by y0z2a on 13 September 2005
you drive like a fairy.

*runs*

;-)

/y0z

agrees with business partner!!! Mark, you need to come to one of our tuition sessions!!!

VaVa

What the f**k was the 172 driver doing in first gear?? sh*t load of wheel spin or aomething revs up, revs down, revs right up than a piss poor change into second. And the gearing in the mk1 172 makes it slower in the midrange. Even though, it should have murdered a 325 imho.

Quote: Originally posted by MarkCup on 13 September 2005

Ive got video of my 172 Cup chasing down and going past an M3 convertible around Goodwood (and he was driving 8-9/10 effort too) if anyone can host it...would that help?

What use is that! lol. Youre not suggesting a standard clio cup is quicker than BMW M3. Anyone can make up a set of circumstances in which their car would be faster than something else. PMSL @ the 8-9/10 effort. I overtook an M3 the other day too, it was parked up though :p. I reckon the 172 should be quicker than the 325 to 60... maybe closer after that. My money would still have been on the 172 though by a long way. Love the way people think 172s are the fastest things on the road.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

Um...did you watch the video?

On that day, with me behind the wheel, and BOTH me and the M3 driver giving it the full beans, yes, absolutely, my foam panel filter equipped Cup was quicker than an M3.

And you say PMSL at the effort. I ask again...have you watched it?

And how does my video help? It show that 320bhp vs 170bhp can be a very, very close run thing, especially when one car almost weighs twice as much as the other.

172, Tiguan

Ah I remember that day - first time id ever flashed an M3 out the way and the Mr2 driver walking over in disbelief. lol. Almost a year ago now Mark! Wonder if theyll do the December days again this year.

Mark you going this weekend?

MKIII 138

i met a very nice chap at donnignton last weekend and he like others seem to think the MK1 172 weighs like 1025kgs like 172 cup ? it doesnt it weighs same as the 182.

i.e MKII172 1110

182 = 20kgs lighter due to no spare wheel or kit (i weighed the MKII172 wheel + kit 20kgs) = 1090

182 cup = 20kgs lighter than 182 due to no xenons + climate = 1075kgs ish

MKI 172 = 1090 same as 182.

so its lighter than a MKII but only by around 20kgs

the cup is the lightest. in fact having moved from a 1110kg MKII 172 to a 172cup at 1025kg ish its like when you are running on 40miles of gas left with the light turining on for the refuel x 3 !!! i think a tank of fuel is 29kgs so minus 29 x 3 from 1110kgs and you get the point its like having the benefit of low fuel when its really responsive and feels faster and then taking away the weight of another two loads of fuel.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

Quote: Originally posted by Fred2001Dynamic on 13 September 2005

Quote: Originally posted by y0z2a on 13 September 2005

you drive like a fairy.

*runs*

;-)

/y0z

agrees with business partner!!! Mark, you need to come to one of our tuition sessions!!!
Id love to come to one of ur tuition sessions! LOL!

How do i d/l that vid!!!???

172, Tiguan

lol.

Freds already been to one of mine - he looked a bit white when he got out the car ;) Ah memories.

Punto/Clio GTT

Quote: Originally posted by MarkCup on 14 September 2005

On that day, with me behind the wheel, and BOTH me and the M3 driver giving it the full beans, yes, absolutely, my foam panel filter equipped Cup was quicker than an M3.

And how does my video help? It show that 320bhp vs 170bhp can be a very, very close run thing, especially when one car almost weighs twice as much as the other.

if that instructor was in with the m3 owner he would be pulling a loooong distance on ya, that m3 owner was losing ya on the straights, only place you was catching up was with your instructors help in the bends

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by jon_r on 14 September 2005

Ah I remember that day - first time id ever flashed an M3 out the way and the Mr2 driver walking over in disbelief. lol. Almost a year ago now Mark! Wonder if theyll do the December days again this year.

Mark you going this weekend?
Was a good day that one. Ive still got the footage of said M3 pilot coming over and talking to me afterwards...with his mate stood alongside ripping the piss out of him for being passed by a little blue Clio LOL

Easytrack are doing Fri 11 Nov, and Sun 18 Dec at Goodwood this year. Ill definitely do one, but probably end up doing both.

Drag your uncle along if you do come out ;)

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by Final_Maxim on 14 September 2005

Quote: Originally posted by MarkCup on 14 September 2005

if that instructor was in with the m3 owner he would be pulling a loooong distance on ya, that m3 owner was losing ya on the straights, only place you was catching up was with your instructors help in the bends
I dont disagree with what your saying at all. But hed only be at 10/10ths for a few laps before everything started going off, then Id reel him right back in again.

Cups are the fastest thing in the world you see, I thought everyone knew that LOL

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

lol.

Freds already been to one of mine - he looked a bit white when he got out the car ;) Ah memories.
Ill take you out jon, see how white i can get you. lol! Nah, i honestly wouldnt mind making the trip down to a decent trackday.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

the m3 wasnt trying.Or the guy couldnt handle the car

If he was he would of killed you.End of

ian

MKIII 138

is it hard for some people to belive a really lightweight car with an exellent chasis and tyres and instant throttle response can out do a Uber Saloon on the bends ? it blatant physics one weighs say 500kg-600kg more and the faster you go the more that weight multiplies and becomes an issue for bad.

btw kerb weight and downforce are two different things.

172, Tiguan

Quote: Originally posted by AJRMOTORSPORT on 14 September 2005
Quote: Originally posted by jon_r on 14 September 2005lol.

Freds already been to one of mine - he looked a bit white when he got out the car ;) Ah memories.[/QUOTE]Ill take you out jon, see how white i can get you. lol! Nah, i honestly wouldnt mind making the trip down to a decent trackday.

Ill make sure to return the favour though :D Hopefully ill start to do them regularly soon with the new car.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

dont be daft its an M3, it has lots of power and costs stupid amounts more, nothing else matters, (not even the extra 600kg weight)

i think that video must be a 320 badged up. only explanation possible! :p

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

Quote: Originally posted by AJRMOTORSPORT on 14 September 2005

lol.

Ill take you out jon, see how white i can get you. lol! Nah, i honestly wouldnt mind making the trip down to a decent trackday.

Ill make sure to return the favour though :D Hopefully ill start to do them regularly soon with the new car.
LOL.do your worst. Whats the new car?

MKIII 138

back to the 325 thing. ive passed quite a few 325s gunning it on the roads old and new shapes. sure they could have all been autos or sh*tty drivers. but ive never had a problem keeping and passsing at all.

the level at which bmw start to get tricky to pass is the 330ci 0-60 is the same upto 90 your level but then they start to pull slighty maintaining around 3 car lenghts upto 125 past that point im sure they would be quicker but by then ive proved my point and dont need to go anyfaster.

in fact big power means nothing when you have big weight. ive sat behind a new shape 735i until i got bored. ive past 525s, 530i 325is ive past 530ds etc.. only 330i are faster and thats above 90mph slowly pulling away big deal.

530i are heavier so not as much of a problem.

the cup is lighter than the 172 i had so i imagine there would be even less of a difference between the 330ci and 172cup until maybe 100mph.

so basically to answer the question a 325i is slower than a 172 upto all but silly speed where gearing beats it probably by around 5mph

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

Im sorry guys,not convinced.

The sheer tourque of the M3 would of destroyed a clio out of every bend.You cannot tell me the super clio has the same 50-100 accelaration as a 321 bhp m3

ian