ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BMW M4: Issues/ must have spec?

FatRS

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250
I suppose I should consult Porsche/M3.net for this so here goes.
Never been a BMW fanboy, to the contrary, but I’m getting itchy feet with the Meg for something different.
What do I need to be aware of on M4s? (2014-2017)
I see loads of comments of certain engine codes being problematic on Beemers, so what are these like?
Must have specs? What spec should I look for if I take the plunge?

I suppose I should consult Porsche/M3.net for this so here goes.
Never been a BMW fanboy, to the contrary, but I’m getting itchy feet with the Meg for something different.
What do I need to be aware of on M4s? (2014-2017)
I see loads of comments of certain engine codes being problematic on Beemers, so what are these like?
Must have specs? What spec should I look for if I take the plunge?

I didn’t go with a competition pack. I love mine. Extended leather would have been nice but this had all the other specs I wanted and not too far away.

8CB837A6-FD26-481C-B476-4ADEE297FBB6.jpeg

3C8CABCA-580E-4488-8C8B-CA8FA98B7FA2.jpeg
DF055685-B03D-41CE-A0F6-08CF474F646D.jpeg

Last edited:

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Have a read about valvetronic motor failure, then crank hub failure. The former, not too much of an issue, the latter, more than a slight problem.
Also M3 > M4. Everytime.
Is that when something gets scored/too hot/burnt?

We went to see a man not long ago who was repairing an M4 and had the engine in pieces. Said he’s doing loads of them.
I wasn’t really listening though.
But he had what looked like burnt rod bearings in his hand. 😂

Only thing I’ve learned since, I should have bought a year newer for the upgraded Idrive. I have an older version so requires hardware upgrades for carplay which I will do at some point.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I'm really not an M4 fan. Can't quite put my finger on it. I've driven more than I can count and always feel underwhelmed! I'd rather drive a Cayman or something.

If I needed the size space I'd definitely look at an M3 of comparable cost.

Is there a way of making them sound less farty?
Yep. Using bootmod3 the burbles etc are customisable and can be switched off altogether. You can turn off active noise in the cabin and turn off cold start. Sport mode once warmed up makes some nice noises!

There’s two options with the mid pipes, equal length or single pipe. I’ll be going for the single mid pipe eventually.

This is equal length midpipes (resonated) and decat (click log in to Facebook):

Last edited:

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Have a read about valvetronic motor failure, then crank hub failure. The former, not too much of an issue, the latter, more than a slight problem.
Also M3 > M4. Everytime.
So I’ve seen more valvetronic motor failures than I’ve seen crank hub failure! Granted, no ones going to necessarily bring a modified M3/M4 into a main dealer, but I’ve never seen a standard spec crank hub failure. Remapped? Yep. And BMW see it in the data that’s transmitted back to them, so they know if it’s had a map on it! Lol! It’s amazing how many people still think they can have a map that’s ‘undetectable’.

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
So I’ve seen more valvetronic motor failures than I’ve seen crank hub failure! Granted, no ones going to necessarily bring a modified M3/M4 into a main dealer, but I’ve never seen a standard spec crank hub failure. Remapped? Yep. And BMW see it in the data that’s transmitted back to them, so they know if it’s had a map on it! Lol! It’s amazing how many people still think they can have a map that’s ‘undetectable’.
The 'undetectable' map questions get asked at least twice a week on the 135/140 page on facebook. Facepalm.

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
They all get hit with a warranty marker now as well. So that mean if they have any drivetrain issues, their warranty is void. Lol
I expect nothing less! Any reasonable person cant expect to have a non-OEM tune done and then for BMW to pick up the pieces if it goes bang? For all you know your 'map' could have been written by a 6 year old in his mums basement....

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Is that when something gets scored/too hot/burnt?
Yup, its a very common fault, normally signified by a tapping from the top of the engine as you unlock the car.

My knowledge on the S55 isnt so great, but on the N55, when the valvetronic motor fails, it defaults to throttle body only, so barring the slight/occasional clicking on startup, the normal man in the street wouldnt notice a difference. It doesnt give an EML (but will show a shadow fault code on proper diagnostics), so the only other tell tale is poor mpg, but you already own the car by that point if you havent read the codes.

To put it into perspective, when i was looking for an M135i last, 5 out of 7 i looked at had the following code:

Fault Code: 133E10
Fault Explanation: Valvetronic system: disabled to frequent Verstellfehler

Search the US forums and its far more detailed info/fix wise as they are much more mechanically aware.

Info: http://www.fluidmotorunion.com/bmw-valv ... t-failure/
More info: https://bmwtechnician.com/2017/03/27/n5 ... nic-motor/
Google search term: https://www.google.com/search?q=n55+val ... e&ie=UTF-8

If the valvetronic motor fails (usually as the shaft isnt being lubricated properly), the eccentric shaft stops turning, this then causes all manner of issues with the cams, ie scoring, etc if left too long, at that point, it goes from being an easy valvetronic motor change to pulling the top end apart. Being that the S55 is the higher performance version of the N55, similar problems occur.

I tend to agree, crank hub failure is mostly a remapped S55 thing!! People that map modern cars and think the manufacturer cant spot it are plebs :ROFLMAO:

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Yup, its a very common fault, normally signified by a tapping from the top of the engine as you unlock the car.

My knowledge on the S55 isnt so great, but on the N55, when the valvetronic motor fails, it defaults to throttle body only, so barring the slight/occasional clicking on startup, the normal man in the street wouldnt notice a difference. It doesnt give an EML (but will show a shadow fault code on proper diagnostics), so the only other tell tale is poor mpg, but you already own the car by that point if you havent read the codes.

To put it into perspective, when i was looking for an M135i last, 5 out of 7 i looked at had the following code:

Fault Code: 133E10
Fault Explanation: Valvetronic system: disabled to frequent Verstellfehler

Search the US forums and its far more detailed info/fix wise as they are much more mechanically aware.

Info: http://www.fluidmotorunion.com/bmw-valv ... t-failure/
More info: https://bmwtechnician.com/2017/03/27/n5 ... nic-motor/
Google search term: https://www.google.com/search?q=n55+val ... e&ie=UTF-8

If the valvetronic motor fails (usually as the shaft isnt being lubricated properly), the eccentric shaft stops turning, this then causes all manner of issues with the cams, ie scoring, etc if left too long, at that point, it goes from being an easy valvetronic motor change to pulling the top end apart. Being that the S55 is the higher performance version of the N55, similar problems occur.

I tend to agree, crank hub failure is mostly a remapped S55 thing!! People that map modern cars and think the manufacturer cant spot it are plebs :ROFLMAO:
Definitely didnt just listen as I unlocked my car...then got my code scanner.....Im clear ;)

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Definitely didnt just listen as I unlocked my car...then got my code scanner.....Im clear ;)
Trust me mate, the noise is very distinctive.

Interestingly enough though, the fault codes that the M3/M4 display when the motor fails wouldn’t actually lead you to the valvetronic motor! Lol!

Oh and @FatRS listen for a ticking noise from the top end of the engine at idle. It sounds like a tappet has failed, but it’s actually nothing to do with tappets. It’s the cam caps have become misaligned and need refitting! Simple enough job to do in all fairness, but not a DIY or back street garage job as you need some proper tools.

👍🏻

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Trust me mate, the noise is very distinctive.

Interestingly enough though, the fault codes that the M3/M4 display when the motor fails wouldn’t actually lead you to the valvetronic motor! Lol!

Oh and @FatRS listen for a ticking noise from the top end of the engine at idle. It sounds like a tappet has failed, but it’s actually nothing to do with tappets. It’s the cam caps have become misaligned and need refitting! Simple enough job to do in all fairness, but not a DIY or back street garage job as you need some proper tools.

👍🏻

Random one but do you very often see bottom end issues with the N57 35D lump? Seems a handful on the forums and have had issues with the bearings/shells but now the masses think it's a huge issue. I can't see it with the number of N57's on the road.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Random one but do you very often see bottom end issues with the N57 35D lump? Seems a handful on the forums and have had issues with the bearings/shells but now the masses think it's a huge issue. I can't see it with the number of N57's on the road.
Nope. But it’s obviously now become internet folklore.

The only N57’s I’ve seen have been police vehicles. And that’s because they spend the majority of their life sitting in a lay-by at idle, then when mr/mrs criminal come smoking past, they go from 0 to tasty and it didn’t do them any favours. They now run them on a specific oil and oil grade - can’t actually remember off the top of my head now though tbf, but I can find out tomorrow. 👍🏻

FatRS

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250
So after looking and considering the comments on here, I’m now thinking (more so from budget linitations) a 3 or 4 series 35i or 40i.
Are there any common similarities and issues? Would they be pretty underwhelming?
Really wanting a change from the 250, until I look at it then fall in love with it again.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Bimmerwork isnt working atm, but i paid for 100 credits on mdecoder a while back. Looks to be a fairly lightly optioned example, no HK for starters:

Vehicle information​

VinWBS3R92040K341323
Production date2014-11-12
ModelM4 Coupé RHD
SeriesM4
GenerationF82
Body type-
Type code3R92
Engine codeS55
Power-
Fuel type-
Displacement-
Drive type-
Steering side-
ColorMineral Grey (L0B39)
InteriorLeather Merino extended black (PLKSW)
TransmissionManual

Vehicle Options​

CodeOption
S01CASelection of COP relevant vehicles
S0230EU-specific supplementary equipment
S02MKM double-clutch transmission with Drivelogic
S02PALocking wheel bolts
S02VBTyre Pressure Monitor
S02VFAdaptive M suspension
S02VZ19" Lt/Aly wheels Double-spoke 437 M/mixed tyres, black
S0302Alarm system
S0320Model designation, deletion
S03AGRear view camera
S0420Sun protection glazing
S0423Floor mats in velour
S0428Warning triangle
S0430Interior and exterior mirror package
S0431Interior rear-view mirror with automatic anti-dazzle function
S0459Seat adjustment, electrical with memory
S0488Lumbar support for driver and front passenger
S0490Seat backrest width adjustment
S0493Storage compartment package
S0494Seat heating for driver and front passenger
S04LXHighlight trim finishers Black Chrome
S04MCInterior trim finishers Carbon Fibre
S0502Headlight washer system
S0508Park Distance Control (PDC)
S0521Rain sensor
S0522Xenon light
S0524Adaptive Headlights
S0534Automatic air conditioning
S0544Cruise control with braking function
S0563Lights package
S0575Additional 12V power socket
S05ACHigh-beam assistant
S05DAFront passenger airbag deactivation
S05DPParking assistant
S0609Navigation system Professional
S0654DAB tuner
S0698Area Code 2 for DVD
S06ACIntelligent Emergency Call
S06AETeleservices
S06AKConnectedDrive Services
S06AMReal Time Traffic Information
S06ANConcierge Services
S06APRemote Services
S06NSEnhanced telephony with extended smartphone connectivity
S0760BMW Individual high-gloss Shadow Line
S0775BMW Individual headliner anthracite
S0812Great Britain/Ireland version
S0850Additional tank filling,export
S0853Language version English
S0880Owner's handbook/service booklet, English
S08KAOil service interval 24 months/30,000 km
S08S2Coding of alarm signal
S08S3Automatic lock when driving away
S08SMVIN, visible from outside
S08TGAnti-theft security system
SLEDELeather equipment

FatRS

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250
Thanks @Sir_Dave
Seems to be some options… am I right with some of them?
Rear camera
Sun protection glass
Mirror package?
Extended storage?
Carbon interior pack
Rear camera (not 360)
Adaptive Xenons (not LED😞)
ACC
High beam assist
Park assist (park itself?)
CarPlay??? (Enhanced telephony services)
Anthracite headlining
High gloss shadow line?? (Kidneys in black??)
Extended leather- so real leather not faux?

FatRS

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250
I suppose when you put it like that, yes, it does have a few options, albeit none that id be looking for, like HK and full leather. Im no expert on the M4 though if im honest!!

Standard spec can be found here: https://www.ardenmaidstonebmw.co.uk/media/301147/jgb57431-bmw-m4-f82_f83-lci-pt-spreads.pdf - that is for later cars though, so a 2014 may be a little different.

Last 3 on your list are all standard though.
HK and LED headlights were a real preferred crate to not see HK on one TBH.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Extended leather is the standard leather on a BMW. Full leather is the option with dash etc.

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
Plus only difference inside between a normal 3/4 series is the front seats and the quality of leather, your dash is my dash etc. unless you've got carbon but it's trim anybody could have.

I personally wouldn't bother with an F8X M car, buy a Porsche... honestly.