ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BMW M4: Issues/ must have spec?

FatRS

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250
A manual M4?!

🤮
It’s not. In options it shows DCT.
Drove it today and although didn’t get chance to push it, first impressions were it didn’t hit me between the eyes as I’d hoped.
Sounds quite noisy in a weird and not nice sounding way unless under load. In sport plus it sounded amazing as stock, but the day to day slow traffic was noisier than if thought. Not sure it’s worth 3 times the value of the Megane. 🤔
The 340/440 might be the better compromise.

RenaultSport clio 182
Plus only difference inside between a normal 3/4 series is the front seats and the quality of leather, your dash is my dash etc. unless you've got carbon but it's trim anybody could have.

I personally wouldn't bother with an F8X M car, buy a Porsche... honestly.

The only other differences with a normal 3/4 series are the engine… and the drive train… and the brakes… and virtually every body panel. Agree on the interior unless you get full leather interior which completely transforms the inside. You also don’t get the carbon trim on a standard 4 series.

I owned an M4 for just over 3 years, put 25k on it and never had a single problem. Mine was completely unmodified. The engine issues seem to come mainly with ones that have been modified. Must have specs for me were full leather, adaptive LED headlights, HUD, HK and exterior carbon pack. I also had an MPE exhaust on mine. The standard exhaust note is quite muted and not the best so worth changing. If you can afford it I’d say go for it. I had extended warranty on mine for piece of mind which was around £1200 per year but never used it. In hindsight you’d probably be better off putting money aside just in case something does go wrong. Would be a good step up from a meg.

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
The only other differences with a normal 3/4 series are the engine… and the drive train… and the brakes… and virtually every body panel. Agree on the interior unless you get full leather interior which completely transforms the inside. You also don’t get the carbon trim on a standard 4 series.
No way! 🤯

Not a Diesel!!!

ClioSport Club Member
  LY Meg Cup-S + MX5
If you are going 340i route.

Need to go touring.

Then you have a reason for why you did not buy an M.

I still want to scratch B58 itch. But probably go M140i for smaller lighter package ( & manual availability)

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
My stepdad picked up an 18 plate comp pack M4 (white) just before prices started going mental, think he paid £35k for it.

Reasonable spec, had the full carbon pack, previous owner also put the flashy M steering wheel on that had the little screen/lights, and also spacers according to the bmw dealer who gave it its end of warranty once over.

Still not been out in it yet, sounds alright when he’s been round ours in it but a more harsher sound than my RS3 I think.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
I've only ever been in the F80 M3 ring taxi but think they are wicked cars and very very capable.

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
Then you have a reason for why you did not buy an M.

I still want to scratch B58 itch. But probably go M140i for smaller lighter package ( & manual availability)
Is not being able to afford one a valid reason for not buying an M car or is it not allowed? 😂

I did want a touring but theres about 3 in San Marino Blue, Estoril or Mineral Grey are ten a penny like M4/3's.

Not a Diesel!!!

ClioSport Club Member
  LY Meg Cup-S + MX5
Is not being able to afford one a valid reason for not buying an M car or is it not allowed? 😂

I did want a touring but theres about 3 in San Marino Blue, Estoril or Mineral Grey are ten a penny like M4/3's.

Better to have that valid reason before you buy it than after & you are ruined.

Now is a sweet spot on some cars if you can get in & out with minimal/no depreciation. Usually the biggest expense in owning a car.

If Tax, Insurance, warranty, consumables is £2500 a year on top of £5k depreciation...... but there is no £5k depreciation at the moment could be cheapest time to own one. M2 Comps are over £40k still so no pressure from above there and E90/92 are on the rise from below.

Clio V6, M4 Comp, X5
When I was looking for mine I wasn’t very clued up on specs and must have options but I got lucky.

I got a comp with lots of options but the ones I consider the must haves aftee
360 cameras
HK
Icon Headlights (just for looks and resale)
High beam assist
Heads up display
Enhanced Bluetooth
Wireless charging

A stage one map makes a massive difference to performance as does a cat back exhaust to sound.

The crank hub slipping is an issue that’s always at the back of your mind but it’s not as common as it’s made out to be, look out for overly noisy engines on cold start as cam bearings needing realigning is common and can work out expensive.

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
Better to have that valid reason before you buy it than after & you are ruined.

Now is a sweet spot on some cars if you can get in & out with minimal/no depreciation. Usually the biggest expense in owning a car.

If Tax, Insurance, warranty, consumables is £2500 a year on top of £5k depreciation...... but there is no £5k depreciation at the moment could be cheapest time to own one. M2 Comps are over £40k still so no pressure from above there and E90/92 are on the rise from below.
My reason for not going M3 was because I wanted an F31 but I also couldn't afford an M3 at the time. Not to mention the stigma around them at the time, everyone on drip in White or Black. I like the rarity of owning a 340, I think if I remember correctly from F30post there's only 1200 F3X 340's, 800+ are saloons the rest are tourings, of which about 3 (exaggeration) are in San Marino Blue. Which is what I wanted really, thats my only regret. Have an E92 M3 for my M3 thrills.

Not a Diesel!!!

ClioSport Club Member
  LY Meg Cup-S + MX5
There is no perfect car. V8's lack in torque for what is a chunky car and are getting old. S55 sound poor but have the torque with a little less weight to haul.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
A few of the lads in my entry at work went and got M4s to do trackdays, they’re alright but as Daniel says they’re boats. Capable, but boats. And if you’re going to drive a boat, you might as well drive one that sounds good.

W211 E55 AMG
W211 E63 AMG
W204 C63 AMG
All other AMGs with 5.0 or greater capacity engines
E92 M3
Alfa Guilia Cornholio
AIDs
BMW M4

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
A few of the lads in my entry at work went and got M4s to do trackdays, they’re alright but as Daniel says they’re boats. Capable, but boats. And if you’re going to drive a boat, you might as well drive one that sounds good.

W211 E55 AMG
W211 E63 AMG
W204 C63 AMG
All other AMGs with 5.0 or greater capacity engines
E92 M3
Alfa Guilia Cornholio
AIDs
BMW M4
An actual boat sounds better than an F8X