ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bonnet opened on dual!!!!!

Renault clio mk2
Hi, well this past Friday i am driving along a dual carriage way in Aberdeen doing just around 70mph.........Whack my bonnet opens and smacks the windscreen, i didnt want to slam the brakes on as there was a huge truck behind me, so i put the hazards on and drove a few hundred yards to the nearest lay-by. A VERY scary moment!

I have a 99 V reg 1.2 MK2 clio

Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else? A few people have told me about this on the MK2 and i heard there was a report on watchdog about it!

Any info much appreciated.

if i remember correctly, its something about the catch being plastic or having a plastic componant in it. im not 100% sure but i think it is!!!!

A number of clios
was this on all mk2 clio or just 99 models (runs to check cars history and then bonnet catch)

Renault clio mk2
Thanks for the info people.

Well unfortunatly i am now replacing the car as the force of the bonnet dented part of the structure in the roof!! and well i just have no confidence in the car now.

Yes i was looking at the catch and the part that connects to the bonnet is plastic, now off to check the girlfriends car! she has same one and is now crapping herself!!
Maybe bonnet pins are the answer?

Well all i heard was that it was 98-01 models so i guess its just the MK2's

im sure they have to sort it out for free for you if you take it to a dealer as its a recall.

yeah i,d check your girls too, im glad i brought my mk3 now, lol

A4 Avant & A3
same happened to my sister in a S reg renault Laguna... same catch???
luckily she wasn't going too fast, but she was on holiday at the time & the bonnet wouldn't stay down for the 200mile drive home.

The Beast MK4
Happened to me, S Reg MK 2 Phase 1, Cost 300 for a replica bonnet and painting and 50 for my new windscreen. It also bashed my aerial in to the roof and my interior light hit me as well !

Once its sorted WD-40 the catches every month or so to avoid it happening again.

Renault clio mk2
KROOZMIDZ.STAFF said:
im sure they have to sort it out for free for you if you take it to a dealer as its a recall.

yeah i,d check your girls too, im glad i brought my mk3 now, lol

Hi, so do you know if it is a recall? Like if i was to take the girlfriends car to a dealer would they fix it??

Or do you have to wait untill it happens to get it replaced, lol

think im gonna be going for a MK3 now

Renault clio mk2
Jonaldinho said:
Happened to me, S Reg MK 2 Phase 1, Cost 300 for a replica bonnet and painting and 50 for my new windscreen. It also bashed my aerial in to the roof and my interior light hit me as well !

Once its sorted WD-40 the catches every month or so to avoid it happening again.

Haha! yes!
thats exactly what happend to me! interior light swung down and hit me in the head.

Sun roof and windscreen are now making noises! aerial dented right into the roof and frame around the sunroof doesnt look too safe, the whole front bit there is dented in.

The Beast MK4
Aye mine stayed up, head out the window job until I found a safe bit off the road to park. The bonnet was stuck up so had to take a hammer to the catches to get it back down. Tied the crumpled mess to the front tow hook to get it too the bodyshop.

Renault clio mk2
justinRT said:
Mate im sure i have seen your RT goin about?! which road was it, im from aberdeen aswell :)
Hi, It was on the way to portlethon just after the BP garage (when you go from 40 to 70)
I think i know who you are to, your from portlethon or newton hill right??
I know alot of people from that area.
Might not have been me youve seen, there is an identical clio that goes about in aberdeen to!! same tail and headlights, but diff wheels. wasnt looking to bad, id only really had it for a couple of months! needed lowered a bit though, wheels put it a bit to high.

Here's my car....... well before the feck up!

http://www.bebo.com/PhotoAlbumBig.jsp?PhotoAlbumId=874635884&PhotoId=874983144