ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Boosted Blue 182

Hxrry

so-wax.com
ClioSport Trader
When one isn't enough, you go out and buy another... right?

This beauty came up for sale in Wales at a price I couldn't refuse, so I took the trip and drove it home. Just over 100k but feels tight to drive, this is added by a few mods like solid engine mounts and remap to name two, I was happy. Only downside being a notch into 4th gear occasionally.

Plan is to refurbish the gearbox with a LSD. Whilst on the subject, do people know if the cheap diffs listed on the likes of eBay are any good? Seen one person recommend it.

I've got a front splitter to fit and some grams exhaust mount bushes and centre exhaust bush!

tempImagenA1qi2.jpg

Hxrry

so-wax.com
ClioSport Trader
Updates:

- Bought a refurbished gearbox with a Quaife LSD fitted and a Megane 5th gear
- Fitted CM Composites front splitter
- New handbrake cables
- Fitted my 2118's with spacers and longer bolts.
- Cleaned the underneath up and used Hammerite on the rear beam, front arms etc
- Painted callipers black
- Fit KAM Racing 3D Printed Exhaust mounts & new middle exhaust mount
- Rear wiper delete
- LED number plate light fitted

I've got loads of plans but slowly want to get tick things off the list.

Can't figure the best way to add pics.... It adds one max and it's always sidewards lol

Attachments

• tempImageaKrCg7.png
    tempImageaKrCg7.png
    11.1 MB · Views: 121

Hxrry

so-wax.com
ClioSport Trader
Throwback to before lockdown #2 when I had chance to keep it clean before getting hectic with work! This is from the last time I went to C&M on my birthday

vqZEOo6.jpg

Hxrry

so-wax.com
ClioSport Trader
Finally fitted my Sabelt RS steering wheel fitted with the Volantech 6 button panel, which is amazing!

tempImageIrvsb5.jpg

Having problems getting my airbag light out though. I've just tried some 3.9k Ohm resistors and made no difference, anyone have suggestions?

Today I popped in my washer blanks, much cleaner look.

tempImageVfl2Pv.jpg

Also something exiting is that I've begun collecting turbo parts. Currently got TRW Downpipe (ordered), Turbo, Wossner Pistons and MaxSpeeding Rods. Can anyone recommend what else I should be changing whilst the engine is out to be forged?

Cheers

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
3.9kohm is wrong, you want 3.9ohm mate.
Or do it properly and get access to an rstuner or clip! Was super satisfying turning all the lights off mine 😂

Wheel looks great.

Hxrry

so-wax.com
ClioSport Trader
3.9kohm is wrong, you want 3.9ohm mate.
Or do it properly and get access to an rstuner or clip! Was super satisfying turning all the lights off mine 😂

Wheel looks great.

derp, definitely an error on my part. I'll get the 3.9 ohm ones ordered now!!

Wheels do look good from a distance, a bit rough so was going to get them powder coated. I was unsure on a colour to go for, but I'm sure going for a similar grey would look best!

Hxrry

so-wax.com
ClioSport Trader
The 'Wuhan Whistler' as it's been named on Facebook by many people turned up today.

It's not a permanent solution, its just to get the car built sooner. I must comment though, a few people recommended this turbo and the quality of it feels not too bad! Let's hope its all good :sneaky:

tempImageIxFF4x.jpg

tempImage4HhTUY.png

tempImageTJmYAN.png

Hxrry

so-wax.com
ClioSport Trader
Some more parts ordered yesterday from Engine Dynamics 😁 Turbo Manifold, Intercooler pipework with intercooler and turbo oil drain kit.

My MaXpeedingrods rods turned up yesterday too, and my Wossner 8.5:1 Turbo pistons will be here tomorrow hopefully.

Loving the progress!

Hxrry

so-wax.com
ClioSport Trader
Turbo pipework and intercooler has come from Engine Dynamics, along with their exhaust manifold and oil drain kit. I've also managed to grab a bargain on some Megane 225 injectors, so will be sending to EFI to test them - hopefully all good 🤞 Never really know with injectors I feel.

I'm pretty much there with parts now for the build, just need to get my engine out really to start the rebuild with the forged parts, only problem finding time to take the box out.

tempImagec1EspY.png

tempImageF5VEmp.png

Hxrry

so-wax.com
ClioSport Trader
MTC Coolant hoses turned up yesterday, went for grey as got a blue/grey thing going on.

tempImageiVxsjs.jpg

I'm going to try get the car on a ramp one of the weekends, rip the engine out and push the car in the corner of the workshop until it's done.

After some advice, when rebuilding the engine what else would you change? Obviously doing Cambelt, Water Pump & Dephaser etc.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
MTC Coolant hoses turned up yesterday, went for grey as got a blue/grey thing going on.

View attachment 1519964

I'm going to try get the car on a ramp one of the weekends, rip the engine out and push the car in the corner of the workshop until it's done.

After some advice, when rebuilding the engine what else would you change? Obviously doing Cambelt, Water Pump & Dephaser etc.
Remember to drill your block whilst the engines out for your oil return!

Hxrry

so-wax.com
ClioSport Trader
Remember to drill your block whilst the engines out for your oil return!

That will be first job as I'll forget! I'm in the process on sorting heat management out, wrapped all my intercooler pipework in a gold heat tape and then looking to ensure the bulkhead stays as cool as possible!

Hxrry

so-wax.com
ClioSport Trader
Finally got plans in motion, the engine should finally coming out next week to be re-built and forged.

I've been working on tidying up my downpipe and turbo today, as you can see the waste gate hole is rather small!!!

tempImagekZtUdV.jpg

tempImagePhgbbO.jpg

tempImageMuBz8k.jpg

Where should I be getting oil lines from for the turbo? Also need some heat management ideas for the bay. I've gold heat wrapped my intercooler pipework and will be heat wrapping my downpipe... What am I using on the bulkhead? Anything else I should pay close attention to keeping cool?

Fishfire

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Finally got plans in motion, the engine should finally coming out next week to be re-built and forged.

I've been working on tidying up my downpipe and turbo today, as you can see the waste gate hole is rather small!!!

View attachment 1539840

View attachment 1539841

View attachment 1539842

Where should I be getting oil lines from for the turbo? Also need some heat management ideas for the bay. I've gold heat wrapped my intercooler pipework and will be heat wrapping my downpipe... What am I using on the bulkhead? Anything else I should pay close attention to keeping cool?

I ported my wastegate out a fair bit:

20210505_174053.jpg 20210505_182509.jpg

Should stop boost spikes with luck.

SteveC put me on the right lines with the oil feed. I got a 1 meter Mamba oil line for 27 quid and an adapter £13. All fitted with no dramas:

Screenshot_20210522-110754_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20210522-110816_eBay.jpg

I've got the Engine Dynamics oil drain kit, which tbh you coukd source a lot cheaper, but for convenience, I bought it.
Take your time drilling into the block though.....I've managed to screw up drilling the hole straight, and now I can't get the 3/8 tap to take and may have to use compression washers and a nut on the inside 🤦

Looking good though.

Hxrry

so-wax.com
ClioSport Trader
I ported my wastegate out a fair bit:

View attachment 1539902 View attachment 1539903

Should stop boost spikes with luck.

SteveC put me on the right lines with the oil feed. I got a 1 meter Mamba oil line for 27 quid and an adapter £13. All fitted with no dramas:

View attachment 1539910 View attachment 1539911

I've got the Engine Dynamics oil drain kit, which tbh you coukd source a lot cheaper, but for convenience, I bought it.
Take your time drilling into the block though.....I've managed to screw up drilling the hole straight, and now I can't get the 3/8 tap to take and may have to use compression washers and a nut on the inside 🤦

Looking good though.

it was your post that made me check mine and I’m glad I did!

that’s ace on the lines, I’ll get those ordered! I just checked and I bought an oil drain kit when I got my Intercooler with pipework! Luckily my mechanics a brilliant engineer so shouldn’t c**k it up… watch this space lol

Hxrry

so-wax.com
ClioSport Trader
I was hoping to get the engine out yesterday but only managed subframe off and driveshafts out. Shocked at the condition of the bushes tbh, I should hopefully see an improvement with my ready-to-fit subframe with polybushes and strengthened arms! The coolant system was drained today and there was a lot of oil in the system, potential head gasket failure? It's always run spot on though, with the occasional lumpy cold start... Good job I'm stripping it down :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:

Screenshot 2021-07-08 at 09.29.01.png

Screenshot 2021-07-08 at 09.28.51.png

Screenshot 2021-07-08 at 09.29.12.png

Screenshot 2021-07-08 at 09.29.20.png

Screenshot 2021-07-08 at 09.29.32.png

Hxrry

so-wax.com
ClioSport Trader
The engines out today and already begun stripping it down ready to be sent to the engine builders. Am I right in saying the heads can’t be skimmed on these engines?
F2C30865-BAC2-4894-A954-8EA1289487AD.jpeg

I’ve dropped the 2118’s at a local powder coating company who have done lots of work for me in the past. Going for a similar grey with a slight metallic flake, hopefully it doesn’t look gay.

Fishfire

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
The engines out today and already begun stripping it down ready to be sent to the engine builders. Am I right in saying the heads can’t be skimmed on these engines?
View attachment 1547156

I’ve dropped the 2118’s at a local powder coating company who have done lots of work for me in the past. Going for a similar grey with a slight metallic flake, hopefully it doesn’t look gay.
I had a light skim on my head, though I did use a thicker Mégane MLS head gasket, just to reduce the compression slightly and account for lose of material on the head skim, but tbh a thousandth skim is neither here nor there.

Hxrry

so-wax.com
ClioSport Trader
I had a light skim on my head, though I did use a thicker Mégane MLS head gasket, just to reduce the compression slightly and account for lose of material on the head skim, but tbh a thousandth skim is neither here nor there.

I did wonder on the skim, but I'm running 8.5:1 low compression turbo pistons. I'm unsure whether to use a standard gasket or an MLS one, do you have any idea?

Fishfire

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I did wonder on the skim, but I'm running 8.5:1 low compression turbo pistons. I'm unsure whether to use a standard gasket or an MLS one, do you have any idea?
Probably best speaking to whoever is building your engine, but if it were me, I'd have a very light skim on the head and the block to ensure perfect mating surfaces and run a slightly thicker head gasket.

From memory, the standard Clio gasket is something like 0.8mm and the Mégane is 1.3mm, so shouldn't make much difference to the CR with a light skim. The mapping will ensure your fueling and timing is correct for the CR and boost levels you'll be running.

I'll be following your build with interest......I have a spare engine that might become the next project. Once I've debugged the issues out of my low boost build 🙄

Hxrry

so-wax.com
ClioSport Trader
What's a standard 182 gearbox worth done 102k with a notch into 4th. Apart from that it's mint, if you change gear carefully it doesn't catch so it's barely gone but would need sorting ideally. Would anyone want a standard subframe? Ideal to be stripped and powder coated, what's this also worth?

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
What's a standard 182 gearbox worth done 102k with a notch into 4th. Apart from that it's mint, if you change gear carefully it doesn't catch so it's barely gone but would need sorting ideally. Would anyone want a standard subframe? Ideal to be stripped and powder coated, what's this also worth?
Is it a cup pack subframe mate? Believe they are different to non cup packed?