ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Boot Split On Gear Linkage

clio 16v
Hey ppl my girlfriends (this is her account sorry lol ) clios leaking slight bit of oil, tracked it down to a mauled rubber boot thats 100% split on the gear linkage gearbox side.

Obvious questions are... is this an easy job? mate has our haynes manual so cant check. wondering if it needs the linkage taking off all together. and if so will i screw up the gearing setup or not doing this? :S

Also whats the proper part name and is it costly? links welcome :cool:

thanks

clio 16v
Yes the gear selctor, is it not lubricated at all? its not pissing oil .Just if its been run around a lot (ie running hot) it just dribbles one or two drops thats all

What car is it on, on the mk1's this is just a boot to keep the shite out, usually got a bit of grease in it

clio 16v
its a 1995 1.8 16v i belive its a phase 1? (sorry saxo guy here)

If its just grease then it would make sense why its not pouring out then good good :) so back to replacing it, easy enough and whats the part? bad experience with garages so dont get very far trying to point out bits on there computer screens but may give em a go, think our local renault place got taken over nehow

one option is to pathch it up with a bike puncutre repair kit.

if you wanna replce it, cut the cable tie on teh linkage and putt the boot back and undo the 13mm headed nut in there, remove gear linkage, making sure you keep the plastic washer type thingy and the spindle from the middle, and then just pull the rubber boot off

clio 16v
Will give it go 2morra if the part arrives, cheers lunner, sadly bodging it with puncture kit wont work its a clean cut all way around. plus id feel guilty doing that lol

www.renparts.co.uk
its difficult to succesfully put a puncture repair kit on it as its hard to clean up the surface properly even with brake cleaner.