ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

brake limiter valve on cup URGENT

how dangerous is to to drive the car with it knocking? when stationary or on the move too, when you press the brake pedal & let off there is a clunking sound coming from the rear of of the car sounds like under the rear seat area? i believe the brake limiter valve is f**ked? any ideas, i say urgent as i am doing a tracck day tommorow?

Its safe to drive it but I wouldnt drive it on a trck day - NO WAY - i asked my dealer prior to having a new one replaced and he said "just take it easy" I wouldnt advise it, wasnt even happy driving it around waiting for it to be fixed.

im using a focus rd too, so maybe ill do a couple of laps to see how the brakes hold up & then swap to the focus for the rest of the day

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

I have a Cup too, and just wnated to say that although I havent noticed any knocking, I have noticed my rear brakes do absolutely feck all.

Just cleaned the car and the fronts were sooo dirty and the backs spotless. Maybe I am suffering from the same thing as you guys. Will go outside and check.

Is it really noticable when stationary???

Si.

Suzuki SV1000S

I have noticed the same problem when i first bought the car, But have not noticed it recently. Will book my car in and get them to have a look!

Nissan R35 GT-R

Quote: Originally posted by Si172 on 29 August 2003

I have a Cup too, and just wnated to say that although I havent noticed any knocking, I have noticed my rear brakes do absolutely feck all.

Just cleaned the car and the fronts were sooo dirty and the backs spotless. Maybe I am suffering from the same thing as you guys. Will go outside and check.

Is it really noticable when stationary???

Si.
This is normal. The front brakes do around 80% of the braking. The rear brakes are there to balance the car.

Most hatches (of the non-hot variety) have drums at the back, because the rear brakes do so little compared to the front brakes.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

Ok, my findings are below:

Press brake down 50-60% and then come off, no noise at all.

Press brake down 75-100% and come off, rather loud knocking from behind driver/back seat.

Sounds like my Cup has the same problem. Whats the Renault stance on it?

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

Ok ive just get Renault on the blower. They have said that there is no recorded problems with my car, no outstanding recalls or anything.

There are no recorded problems with the RS Clio Cup on the Renault dealer network.

So anyone got any bright ideas?

They have said that they will happily check it, and if its faulty will happily replace it.

Needs replaced - you will find if yiou bring the car in that the valave is missing!!!!! Its up to you of course but Ilike to know all the bits are where they should be! Warranty repair naturally.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

Furthermore - if the valve was missing, surely the wheel would lock up under braking?

ok just go tback from my main dealer renault enfield,

the valve is not missing, when he had it on the ramps & put his hand onthe valve the knocking stopped? he has a cup on the forecourt which does exactly the same as he checked that one too, then we went for a blat & absolutely smoled the f**k out of the brakes on several long straights! from 60 & 40 & more etc, &the brakes provided plenty of feel & stopped the car like proper, he said when the car comes in on monday for the top mounts they will send the valve away for warranty inspetction & replace if necessary, i will insist they do, I will be let you know what happens this afternoon at the bedford autodrome & report any further findings regarsd to the braking & how it is effected, the renualt dealer assured me there is no problem, unless of course the valve is missing? which mine isnt.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

Im gonna book mine in I think. Theres no way I can go out and smoke the brakes here in Tunbridge Wells, firstly Im not the polices best mate at the mate, and also its totally chucking it down.

And we all know how much fun rain is in the Cup. :devilish: