ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brake Servo, Master Cylinder, Vacuum feed, should I be buying new?

Rystar

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
Hi All,

Car is recently off the road with the exhaust manifold and everything out which we all know is a PITA, and I happened to look at the brake servo while I was there.

There's rust on the servo that looks to me like it would have been caused by fluid leaks from the master cylinder (directly below where it bolts to the servo). Am I being paranoid? could it be from 17 Years of people slightly missing the fluid fill hole or is it worth changing both (Servo/MC) now the car is in pieces and its easier to get to?

Investigating the vacuum feed line too, this has done the usual melty business where it sits above the exhaust manifold too.

If I am to replace this lot (out of age and current convenience more than fault) is it worth risking secondhand or brand new only? Looking up briefly at various parts (no idea if correct theres a few variants i'm assuming for all clio models, if anyone's got part numbers for a ph2 172 it would be greatly appreciated) I think i'm looking at £350 all in? Vacuum line is impossible to find new!!

I'll try get pictures if current world problems allow

Cheers!

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Clios have a common issue for the MC seals to leak mate

If it's rusty then they will be shot and leaking fluid out. I've changed the MC on a few cars now and every one of them has had a really sorry looking square-cut seal in them. It's easier nowadays just to upgrade it to a 197 MC though

Rystar

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
Clios have a common issue for the MC seals to leak mate

If it's rusty then they will be shot and leaking fluid out. I've changed the MC on a few cars now and every one of them has had a really sorry looking square-cut seal in them. It's easier nowadays just to upgrade it to a 197 MC though

Ahh thanks for the tip! I have seen a few more 197 MCs up new on eBay than 1*2 ones! Any specifics to it or is it a straight no worries swap?

As for the servo and feed, is there any uprated/more modern approaches to these? Does the vac feed have to be Renault hardline or can I just use the usual silicon vac stuff? Obviously being brakes I’m not too keen to be the first one to experiment and it all goes t*ts up 😂

Rystar

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
197 MC is a straight swap over using your existing reservoir. Not sure about the vac line tbh, I usually just heat wrap them in a sheath😂

Lovely job, I’ll get one ordered up, no changes to pedal effort or anything?

Yeah I wish I’d of caught it earlier on because I literally dug up some thermal sleeve stuff the other day meant for this exact purpose, but this one is now fubar 😂

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member

Yeah I wish I’d of caught it earlier on because I literally dug up some thermal sleeve stuff the other day meant for this exact purpose, but this one is now fubar 😂
It's slightly harder and less travel because of the cylinder size being way bigger to suit Brembos

Just get a decent one from a breaker mate and then cover it up lol

stebat

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172

Did you order a 197 Servo too? Does the 197 servo fit straight in the 172?

Rystar

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
Did you order a 197 Servo too? Does the 197 servo fit straight in the 172?

Due to lockdown and stuff that followed my questioning the whole thing was shelved for a while and other issues popped up since so it got put on the backburner, so unfortunately I cannot personally answer this

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
So looks like my brake servo is pretty badly rusted, so likely the usual master cylinder leak. Is there a how to guide to replace on a 1*2? Am I going to have to go through the debacle
Of having to bleed the abs system? Which if the case I would probably wait and get it replaced next time the belt is done next year!