ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brief play with the D3

Well I was hoping to go out today and play with the new D3, but the weather is really crap, not raining...just really overcast with horrible flat lighting :(

So I did a few macro shots, and then did a few tests on the ISO performance - which is astonishing!!

DSC_0106.jpg

DSC_0107.jpg

DSC_0088.jpg

And this is what you see if you put a DX lens on a full frame body like the D3...
:dead:
DSC_0076.jpg

I also did a couple of ISO tests,

1. Here's the original shot:
DSC_0153_copy.jpg

And 100% crops at different ISOs:

Comparison-D3.jpg

2. Original:
DSC_0144_copy.jpg

100%:
Comparison-D3-2.jpg

I'm blown away by this camera! Yes there is a lot of noise at the ISO6400 shots, but if you do some noise removal and saturation increases in photoshop - the shot is perfectly useable!

The real noticeable noise starts at about just over ISO1000 - which compared to my D200 is outstanding!

Those shots at ISO3200 look about the same as my D200 at ISO500!!

I can't wait to use it properly!

Bit of a pointless thread to most, but I would share it anyway! ;)

1.2 Dynamique billabong
:eek: Oh my god i have way more noise at 400 iso than you have at 6400 iso lol. that is awesome. love the first pic too, the clarity is great

Fiat Panda 100hp
Holy macaroni! #1 and 2 are stunnig. Get them submitted to MS for wallpapers ;)

What lens was you using for the macros?

ISO Is crazy good too. D3S is even better though, looks good at 12800 ISO!

D3S is even better though, looks good at 12800 ISO!

Yeh the D3s does look good from what I have read, BUT for a start it's almost £1200 more that the D3 at the moment. The RRP is £4200! :S

I came very close to waiting to get one, when the price came down a bit, but I can't see the advantages being that significant tbh.

And I will be deciding next week whether or not I will be selling some of my gear, and move completely to full frame lenses. That would include selling the D200 :(

An extra camera is great for motorsport stuff, as you dont have to keep stopping to change lenses - but I'm not doing that as much these days. So I MIGHT be selling my D200, 12-24mm lens and the 18-200 VR lens - and purchase a wideangle FF lens.

Not sure yet though.....

Cupra
No noise reduction. I never use the in camera noise reduction anyway. I think it's more designed for very long exposures as well.

Uber impressive then. You get what you pay for!! The D3 made a lot of Canon shooters swap sides from what I have read. Look forward to seeing your work with it.

why you go for the D3 over the D700?

A few reasons -

Higher fps - I do motorsport photography too, so that will help.
Larger camera with better battery as standard - If I got the D700 I would have to get the battery grip and battery as I hate the smaller style cameras, so that would eat into the cost differences.

There are more reasons, but I cant remember them at the moment! ;)

youll have to put an extra strenghtener on the rig if you wanna support the D3 beast on it.

I think I may be able to use the D3 for rig shots, I didnt think my current wideangle lens would work very well on the D3, but I SHOULD be ok.

We might have to do another photoshoot for testing purposes ;)

E87 118d M Sport
shi.t happens :D

was speaking to a friend about seeing if there was a lake shot that could be acheived (still) around cirencester lakes. tricky getting it quiet tho.

shi.t happens :D

was speaking to a friend about seeing if there was a lake shot that could be acheived (still) around cirencester lakes. tricky getting it quiet tho.

Sounds good, we REALLY need some more exciting locations near us.

I'm getting tired of car parks and industrial estates! ;)

E87 118d M Sport
wonder if we could......sneak....onto the airfield in staverton?

shot infront of one of the old planes theyve got there.

51.898307,-2.168915

A few reasons -

Higher fps - I do motorsport photography too, so that will help.
Larger camera with better battery as standard - If I got the D700 I would have to get the battery grip and battery as I hate the smaller style cameras, so that would eat into the cost differences.

There are more reasons, but I cant remember them at the moment! ;)

fair enough, having used both I'd have gone with the D700 with grip just wondered what your reasons were

Oil Burner
Superb Sample images. The D3 looks to be a very capable camera.

Look forward to seeing some more images from it.

LY 182 FF CUPPED
Hi Dan
Thats me back from Kenya.
Did you get my email?

Just signed for my new D3 today - glad you got one in the end, you won't regret, especially as it will come into its own now winter is here.
I was stuck with 2 battered D2x bodies out in Kenya - literally falling apart!

Have posted a few new images onto my blog from what I did out there.

^ Hey m8,

Havent received anything yet, I'm in Malta at the moment, but they usually get pushed straight through to my blackberry.

I'll have a look at your blog :)

Few more from today :)

Got home from a trip to Malta at 12.30, then went straight outside with the camera :)

It's still impressing me!

Some Autumnal macro shots, as I havent gone anywhere interesting yet apart from our back garden!

DSC_0200.jpg

DSC_0206.jpg

Oh - and a shot of the dog having a kip, shot at ISO2500!! No major noise at all! - have a look at the exif info if you dont believe me ;)
DSC_0179.jpg

^ Yeh I know! Unbelievable!

Also, I think I MAY be selling my DX Nikon D200 and lenses. I could really do with a full frame wide angle lens, but the one I would like is £1k+ :(

Im about 80% sure I will sell them, but I want to be certain before I make any rash decisions!

Nimbus Grey 197
Dan - did you make your watermark in Photoshop? If so would you mind telling me how!

I need to create one and a google search has not provided me with a simple instruction.

Great photos by the way,

Woza.

how much are the D200 and lenses worth?

The D200 is tricky, there's a few on ebay for £400+

The lenses are a bit easier. The 12-24mm is almost £800 new! It's in mint condition, so would be expecting around £400

The 18-200mm VR lens is around 500 new, so would expect £300-350ish.

So I would be selling all that for a lens basically, but it would be worth it. And if I dont sell it, I will rarely use them! I cant remember the last time I used the 18-200!

Dan - did you make your watermark in Photoshop? If so would you mind telling me how!

I need to create one and a google search has not provided me with a simple instruction.

Great photos by the way,

Woza.

Thanks, it was made using the text mask tool. Create some text in this tool, then adjust the brightness etc :)

E87 118d M Sport
sounds like its a chop in then mate. (obviously we'll test it for your first) unless you can think of a benefit of the smaller body for travel maybe?

Nice, are those leaf ones shot with the 60mm 2.8 micro? I need a macro in my life..

Yep :) Awesome lens. You can have so much fun with a macro too, really recommend a good one.

sounds like its a chop in then mate. (obviously we'll test it for your first) unless you can think of a benefit of the smaller body for travel maybe?

Well the 12-24mm will be fine for rig stuff, but it doesnt really cut it for normal photography, the edges are really soft because it's not designed for the larger sensor. So I don't really want a nice DX lens that I will use for just one type of shot - bit of a waste :(

Nah, Im gonna take my D3 everywhere I go. Santa's bringing me some camera insurance and a new work/camera bag. Good times :)

E87 118d M Sport
LOL

Dear Santa,

Please can you insure my camera cuz I spent LOADS of much money on it.

Thanks,

Little Danny